Disparity of Wealth and Power
Disparity of Wealth and Power--Why Europe
Increase wealth and power result from:
1. Spice trade with East Asia/East Indies
2. New World gold, raw materials, then colonial goods using Indian and then slave labor.
3. A & B promote rise or larger consuming classes whose demands promote manufacturing and other changes inside Europe.
4. Industrial Revolution
What was it?
* Unique set of changes in Europe?
* Tied to machinery issues?
Not as important as many European historians have written.
5. A & B result in European conquest of India and the rise of colonial empires in general.
Story of manufacturing in India, China, and the Middle East.
Stress is A, B, C and E, de-emphasisizing the importance of D in understanding why Europe became so much more powerful and wealthy.
Things to Know: