Ann M. Merriwether, PhD
Office: University Downtown Center, Room 427
I am interested in doing research concerning men and women’s reproductive health attitudes. Different work that I have done examines the intersection between gender roles, body image and sexual socialization. My current research focuses on hook-up behavior in college students, as well as attitudes about ideal partners.
- PhD, developmental psychology, The Pennsylvania State University
- MS, psychology, The Pennsylvania State University
- BA, psychology, The Pennsylvania State University
Courses regularly taught
- HDEV 200, Introduction to Human Development
- HDEV 309, Death, Dying, and Bereavement
- HDEV 330, Psychology of Women's Bodies
Current research interests
- Gender roles
- Sexual socialization
- Reproductive health attitudes
- Body image development
- Curtin, N., Ward, L.M., Merriwether, A., Caruthers, A. (2011). Femininity ideology and sexual health in young women: A focus on sexual knowledge, embodiment, and agency. International Journal of Sexual Health, 23, 48-62.
- Ward, L.M., Epstein, M., Caruthers, S., & Merriwether, A. (2011). Men’s media use, sexual cognitions, and sexual risk behavior: Testing a meditational model. Developmental Psychology, 47, 592-602.
- Schooler, D., Ward, L.M., Merriwether, A., & Caruthers, A.S. (2005). Cycles of shame: Menstrual shame, body shame, and sexual decision-making. Journal of Sex Research, 42, 324-334.