Search Target
Apply Now
Request Info

Pursuing Two Majors or a Major and a Minor

Binghamton University offers students the opportunity to pursue more than one major, and in fact, human development students are strongly encouraged to pursue their interest across school lines, especially with Harpur College of Arts and Sciences by selecting a second major or adding a minor.

HDEV major + another major

Students wishing to major in human development and in a second major at another school/college at Binghamton must be admitted to the Double Degree program, which requires a minimum of 156 credit hours. In this program, students will complete the two baccalaureate degrees (one from each school) simultaneously; the degrees will be awarded together once both are competed.

Double degree students must complete General Education requirements, both schools' college requirements and both sets of major requirements. This often requires students to take courses during winter and/or summer terms, as well as an extra year of study. Students with sufficient advanced placement or college credit upon entry to Binghamton University may be able to complete both degrees in four years.

Go to more information about pursuing a double-degree and a link to the application (which is the same for an intra-university transfer/IUT; transferring from one school at Binghamton to another). Forms are also available in the Peer Advising Office in the University Downtown Center, Room 450.

Recommended deadlines to submit a double-degree application:

  • May 1, for fall admission (preferred deadline is March 15)
  • December 1, for spring admission (preferred deadline is November 15)

HDEV major + a minor

If you are interested in one of the many minors offered at Binghamton University, review the appropriate department website for requirements and registration information. It is also a good idea to discuss your plan for a minor with your HDEV academic advisor to determine how it will fit with your academic program. To give yourself adequate time to complete the minor's requirements, consider making this decision in your sophomore (but no later than your junior) year. 

Last Updated: 9/15/17