Tips: Print Smart | Print PDFs | Print PowerPoints
Students can print to laser printers from computers in public computing areas (Pods) using the Pharos laser printing system. Students may configure their personal computers to print to the Pharos system. Printing from phones and tablets is not supported at this time.
Every registered student will receive a semester quota of $43.50. Unused quota remains available until the end of the semester. Whenever the account is out of quota, BUC$ may be used to pay for additional printing. This permits 1740 duplex pages, or 870 simplex pages. To receive a quota students must be registered for the current semester, have no holds as listed in BUBrain and have a current University ID card.
- Simplex (one-sided ) $0.05 per page
- Duplex (two-sided) $0.025 per side
- Color (one-sided only) $0.40 per page
When the quota is exhausted a BUC$ account must be used to pay for additional printing.
Duplex Printing by Default
In order to reduce paper and toner supplies, Duplex printing is the now the default selection when you go to print your files.
Print Jobs' Life Span 2 Hours
To improve the efficiency of the printing system, print jobs will remain in printing queues for 2 hours. Please be sure to retrieve your print jobs within this time frame.
Last year students at Binghamton printed over 11,000,000 pages! Please think before you print and consider these tips to help conserve resources, reduce waste, and make your printing quota last longer.
- Print duplex whenever possible
- Correct errors before printing. Spell check and use "print preview" to identify editing and formatting problems.
- When printing from a web browser, use "print preview" to see how the page will be laid out. Print only the selection of pages that you need.
- When PowerPoint printing, print handouts instead of slides. You can print up to 9 slides per page. Make this selection on the Print dialog box.
- Avoid printing e-mails to simply read them. If you must print multiple emails, cut and paste them into a single MS Word file.
- Share documents electronically using Google Docs, e-mail, or your H drive.
Remember: Think before you print.
If you have a BUC$ account and your quota is exhausted you can...
...Use the BUC$ machines in the Bartle Library, Science Library, and University Downtown Center. To add funds using cash, swipe your card in a BUC$ machine and follow the directions. At this time, the BUC$ machines do not accept credit cards.
...Visit the Meal Plan Office in the University Union, just underneath the Tillman Lobby outside the Mandella Room. Hours, Monday – Friday 11:30 a.m. to 2:30 p.m., or call 607-777-6000.
Do not purchase a new BUC$ card from the machine. It will not allow you to print black & white or color pages on Information Commons or pods printers. Read more
If you don't have a BUC$ account...
...You can also purchase a card from a BUC$ machine BUT this allow you to ONLY print to the Libraries' Community Printer.
Limited printing is available in Bartle Library to guests who use Bartle's Guest Computers. Guest must purchase a BUC$ card for $1 from the BUC$ machine available in the Bartle lobby. Additional funds must be added to the card using cash in order to print. Cost is $0.10 per page.
BUC$ accounts on student IDs cannot be used with the community printer.
Please note the additional limitations below regarding the use of BUC$ cards purchased from BUC$ machines.
Please visit Services for Community Patrons for information about guest computer access and borrowing privileges.
- Cards purchased from a BUC$ machine are not related to BUC$ accounts on student BU ID cards.
- The funds on the BUC$ card cannot be used to print from Information Commons printers.
- In the Libraries, the BUC$ card can only be used to print to the Community Printer, to photocopy, and to pay fines.