Steps to apply for a Social Security Number

Note: Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, the Social Security Administration requires new applicants to schedule an appointment to apply for a Social Security Number. See instructions below for requesting an appointment with the local Social Security Administration office after you have all required application documents. 

Obtain proof of eligibility

Immigration Status  Documents Needed
F-1/J1 Students

Obtain a letter of employment from your on-campus employer and have it endorsed by the ISSS. See the information online for more instructions regarding the letter.

Once you have a letter from your on-campus employer, you will need to submit the Signed Employment Letter for SSN Request to ISSS. 

F-1 Students on OPT EAD card
F-1 Students on CPT CPT authorization on I-20 and job offer letter
J-1 Research Scholars, Professors and Short-term Scholars Offer/invitation letter from your academic department
J-2 Dependents Obtain an Employment Authorization Document issued from USCIS

Apply for an SSN

  • Call the SSA office at 866-964-3971 to schedule an appointment. Do not go to the office without scheduling an appointment first. You will need to provide some basic information over the phone, and a supervisor will call you back to confirm your appointment time.
  • At your scheduled appointment time, apply at the Social Security Administration office located at 2 Court Street in downtown Binghamton. You will need the following documents:
  1. Your passport
  2. Your SEVIS I-20/DS 2019
  3. Your I-94 form
  4. A completed Social Security application
  5. Proof of employment eligibility

All the documents have to be originals. Photocopies or notarized copies will not be accepted.

Average processing times for a Social Security card is two to four weeks. The card will be mailed to you, so you will need to make sure that your name is on your mailbox as it will not be delivered otherwise. For more information regarding work authorization, on or off campus, visit our employment page.