Driving in New York State

Many international students choose to drive while they are in the U.S. If you have a driver's license from your home country, you are able to drive in New York state. You may drive legally with your current driver's license and are not required to obtain a New York state driver's license unless you become a resident of this state. If your driver's license is written in a language other than English, it is recommended that you get an authorized translation or have an International Driving Permit to present with your driver's license.

To learn how to obtain a learner's permit or driver's license, visit the New York State Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) website.

For additional information on driving in New York, visit the DMV website.

ISSS has a list of frequently asked questions about driving on its website.