Search Target

J-1 student on campus employment authorization request

Use this form if you are:

  • a Binghamton University student in J-1 status who has been offered on-campus employment and
  • if your DS-2019 was created by Binghamton University.

This form notifies the Office of International Student and Scholar Services that you need a letter authorizing your J-1 on-campus employment. If your DS-2019 was created by a sponsor other than Binghamton University (for example, the Institute of International Education, LASPAU, etc.), do not complete this form. Instead, you will need to contact your sponsor for the appropriate employment authorization letter.

Federal regulations governing J-1 students requires that your J-1 sponsor authorize all on-campus employment in writing and in advance of your employment start date. The employment authorization is valid for up to 12 months, or until the expiration date of your DS-2019 form or the ending date of your employment, whichever is sooner.

Note that employment from all on-campus sources may total no more than 20 hours per week, except during official school breaks and annual vacation periods.

If written verification of your on-campus employment is not on file with the ISSS, we will contact your on-campus employer for verification.

Go online to complete the form


Last Updated: 11/16/18