Search Target

On-campus Employment for J-1 Students

J-1 students may work on campus up to 20 hours per week while class is in session. During summer and winter breaks, you may work more than 20 hours per week. On-campus employment may include working for an office or department or working for an on-campus entity such as food service or the bookstore. All on-campus work requires written authorization from ISSS before beginning work.

To be eligible for on-campus employment authorization, you must

  • Be in valid J-1 status
  • Be a current, full-time student
  • Have a job offer letter from an on-campus employer. That letter must include:
    • Type of employment (Example: student assistant, teaching assistant, etc.)
    • Start and end dates of employment
    • Location of employment
    • Number of hours working per week
    • Supervisor’s name and contact information

You must upload that letter and complete the J-1 On-campus Employment Authorization Request at least two weeks before you plan to begin your on-campus job.  Please note that on-campus employment authorization will be issued for a maximum of 12 months, or until the end date of your DS-2019, whichever date is sooner. If you will be working at multiple on-campus jobs, you must submit one form for each job. Remember that during the semester you may not work more than 20 hours per week combined between all on-campus jobs.

Please note that all information on this page is specific to J-1 students whose immigration documents are issued by Binghamton University. If your DS-2019 was issued by another sponsor, such as the Fulbright program, you must contact your program sponsor for additional information about employment authorization.



Last Updated: 5/31/19