Optional Practical Training Application
This E-Form is for students in F-1 status who wish to apply for Optional Practical Training (OPT). There are two types of OPT:
• Post-Completion OPT is for students who will graduate this semester or for graduate students who have completed all degree course work and only have a final project, thesis or dissertation to finish. NOTE: If the program end date on your I-20 (under "Program of Study") is beyond your graduation date, then the ISSS office must shorten it to match your graduation date.
• Pre-Completion OPT is for students who wish to receive employment authorization before the completion of study. If you wish to begin working on OPT before you graduate, then you must apply for pre-completion OPT. This employment authorization will end on your graduation date.
When submitting this E-Form, you must attach the Optional Practical Training Academic Advisor's Recommendation Form. Click here to access the form. It should be printed and given to your academic advisor to be completed and signed. You must upload the signed form with this E-Form.
• You can only upload a PDF or image file (JPG, JPEG, GIFF, PNG)
• PDF files work best
• Please DO NOT upload Bitmap or BMP images
Here are the instructions for submitting the OPT Application e-form:
1. Login to Sunapsis. Click here for instructions.
2. After logging in, click on 'F-1 Employment Services' in the shaded box on the left
side of the screen, then select 'OPT Application':
3. The OPT Application E-Form is displayed:
4. There are several sections to the application. First is the STUDENT INFORMATION section (some of the information is pre-populated from data on-file with ISSS). Required
information is indicated with an asterisk (*):
5. ISSS needs to know your current U.S. Residential Address. NOTE: If you have moved
recently, you should submit a U.S. Residential Address Update E-Form:
6. In the OPT REQUEST INFORMATION section, you must select whether you are applying for pre- or post-completion OPT.
Both the start and end dates are required for pre-completion OPT:
Only the start date is needed for post-completion OPT:
7. Any previous periods of CPT and/or OPT need to be reported in the PREVIOUS PRACTICAL TRAINING section. If you click 'YES' to one of the questions, you will be able to enter the
three most-recent periods of CPT or OPT. The employer's name and start/end dates are
8. There are three different options for receiving your OPT I-20 – make your selection
under DELIVERY OPTION. NOTE: If you want to have your I-20 sent via express mail, you will need to submit
an Express Mail Request. You may also have the I-20 sent via the U.S. Postal Service. If you select this
option, and want the I-20 sent to an address other than the U.S. Residential Address
previously entered, you will need to provide this address:
9. You must attach your advisor's recommendation form. Read each of the items under
FEDERAL REGULATIONS CAREFULLY, then check the boxes to indicate you have read and understand each item. Finally,
click the 'Submit' button at the bottom of the page:
10. The top of the E-Form will be displayed, with a message stating your E-Form has been submitted and is pending review by ISSS:
11. You will be notified via email when ISSS has processed your application.
12. If you want to cancel your application, click on the 'Cancel' button at the bottom of the E-Form.