Optional Practical Training Application
This e-form is for use by students in F-1 status who wish to apply for Optional Practical Training (OPT). There are two types of OPT:
- Post-Completion OPT is for students who will graduate this semester or for graduate students who have completed all degree course work and only have a final project, thesis or dissertation to finish. NOTE: If the program end date on your I-20 (under "Program of Study") is beyond your graduation date, then the ISSS office must shorten it to match your graduation date.
- Pre-Completion OPT is for students who wish to receive employment authorization before the completion of study. If you wish to begin working on OPT before you graduate, then you must apply for pre-completion OPT. This employment authorization will end on your graduation date.
When submitting this e-form, you must attach the following documents:
• The Optional Practical Training Academic Advisor's Recommendation Form needs to be printed and given to your academic advisor to be completed and signed.
- You can only upload PDF or image files (JPG, JPEG, GIFF, PNG).
- PDF files work best.
- Please DO NOT upload Bitmap or BMP images.
Once you have logged in to iSSS BU Client Services, the e-form is found under "F-1 Employment Services" in the "iSSS BU Home Page" block.
The top section of the e-form provides instructions for completing the form.
When filling out the e-form, required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
Information on file with ISSS is displayed in the STUDENT INFORMATION section. You must supply a U.S. phone number.
You must enter your current U.S. address in the U.S. RESIDENTIAL ADDRESS section. A drop-down list is available for "State" - click on the arrow to the right of the input field to see the list. If you have moved recently, be sure to submit a US Residential Address Update e-form.
Identify whether you are looking for pre-completion or post-completion OPT in the OPT REQUEST INFORMATION section. You need to identify the date you want to start your OPT assignment - if you are requesting pre-completion OPT, you must also identify the end date. Drop-down lists are available for the date fields and OPT Type. Click on the arrow to the right of the input fields to see the lists.
If you click "YES" to indicate you have previously done Curricular Practical Training (CPT), you MUST identify the employer and dates of employment for at least one CPT period - you can enter up to three. Date information is available via drop-down lists by clicking the arrow to the right of the input field.
If you click "YES" to indicate you have previously done OPT, you MUST identify the employer and dates of employment for at least one OPT period - you can enter up to three. Date information is available via drop-down lists by clicking the arrow to the right of the input field.
You may pick up your OPT I-20 in person from the ISSS office, have it mailed via the U.S. Postal Service, or have it expressed mailed via UPS. If you select the 'U.S. Postal Service' option and want the I-20 mailed to an address other that the one you supplied in the U.S. RESIDENTIAL ADDRESS section, it will need to be entered in the DELIVERY OPTION section. The option and state can be selected via a drop-down list (displayed by clicking on the arrow to the right of the input field.
A copy of the recommendation form (signed by your academic advisor) and the completed I-765 form must be uploaded with the e-form.
Read the statements in the FEDERAL REGULATIONS section carefully and check the boxes to acknowledge you understand them. Failure to comply with the rules will jeopardize your immigration status! When you are done, click the "Submit" button.
The top of the e-form is displayed, with a message that the e-form has been submitted for review.
You will receive an email when ISSS has completing processing your e-form.