Search Target

Steps to apply for a Social Security Number

 NOTE: SEVIS has recently updated its system and I-20/DS-2019 formats have changed. If you have an I-20/DS-2019 that was created prior to June 26, 2015, you will need to request the newly updated version from the ISSS office before you apply for a Social Security Number. You can find the date your I-20/DS-2019 was issued on the front page of your document by the school official's signature. Go online for an image of the new documents.

1. You will need to obtain proof of employment eligibility. See the table below: 

 Immigration Status          Documents Needed
 F-1/J1  Students  Obtain a letter of employment from your on-campus employer and have it endorsed by the  ISSS. See the information online for more instructions regarding the letter.
 F-1 Students on  OPT  EAD card
F-1 Students on CPT  CPT authorization on I-20 and job offer letter
 J-1 Research Scholars, Professors and Short-term Scholars  Offer/invitation letter from your academic department
 J-2 Dependents  Obtain an Employment Authorization Document issued from USCIS


2. Apply at the Social Security Administration office located at 2 Court Street in downtown Binghamton. You will need the following documents:

a. Your passport
b. Your SEVIS I-20/DS 2019
c. Your I-94 form
d. A completed Social Security application
e. Proof of employment eligibility

All the documents have to be originals. Photocopies or notarized copies will not be accepted.

Average processing times for a Social Security card is two to four weeks. The card will be mailed to you so you will need to make sure that your name is on your mailbox as it will not be delivered otherwise. Students can only work on campus. For more information regarding work authorization, on or off campus, visit our employment page.

Last Updated: 11/12/18