Search Target

Extension of Stay Application Checklist

This checklist will assist you in preparing your application for an Extension of Stay.

You need to submit the Extension of Stay Request E-Form to the ISSS. The following information is uploaded along with the E-Form:

• Academic Advisor's Form for Extension of Stay (required)
• Financial Documentation (optional)

Financial Documentation can be any of the following, or a combination:

  • Recent personal bank statement (issued within the last 3 months). Note: Your full name must be on the statement as account owner
  • Certificates of Deposit Statement in your name
  • Funding Letter covering the period of the extension from your academic department or program
  • Stock Certificates in your name

If you have a financial sponsor, such as a parent or relative, you need to submit:

  • Sponsor’s recent bank statement
  • A letter or affidavit of support in English from sponsor stating their relationship to you and confirming that they will support you while you are a student at Binghamton University (see below for an example of a Letter of Support). Note: Letter or Affidavit of Support must be current
  • If your financial sponsor is a permanent resident or a US citizen, and lives in the United States, your sponsor needs to also fill out Form I-134 Affidavit of Support
  • Proof of Sponsor’s Certificate of Deposit
  • Sponsor’s Stock Certificates


  • After you submit the E-form, we will e-mail you the financial amount you need to document.
  • If you have dependents in the U.S. your financial documentation must also show support for them.
  • Applications submitted after the suggested deadline will be in a long processing que. We will protect your valid visa status but your new I-20 may not be available quickly.
  • When your new I-20 is ready you will receive an e-mail message to either come to our office to pick it up, or provide a mailing address for it to be sent to you.

Letter of Support Example:


To Whom It May Concern:

I (Sponsor or family member's name) will provide financial support for (Student's name) while they are enrolled in Binghamton University. I am the student's: (relationship of sponsor or family member to the student).


Name of sponsor or family member

Last Updated: 12/18/17