Search Target

Applying for a NYS Driver’s License or Learner’s Permit:

The New York State Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) provides eligible persons in NYS with documents necessary to legally drive a car in New York State, and identity documents.

International students are allowed to drive in New York State using their home country driver’s license and an International Driving Permit if your home country license is not in English. (See the information at this weblink: )

If you have recently arrived in the United States and this is your first semester of study or if you are a new transfer student at Binghamton University you must wait for classes to begin to apply to the NYS DMV for any benefit (driver's license or renewal, learner's permit, car registration etc.).

To apply for a NYS Learner's Permit, NYS Driver's License, or a NYS ID Card you need to bring the following documents with you to the NYS DMV:

  • Your immigration documents, I-20 or DS-2019 (you will need the one with the most recent entry stamp, if you have a document issued after your most recent entry, you need both documents) visa and passport, and I-94 card
    • Your name must be the presented in the same way on all of your identity documents. The name on your immigration papers, Social Security card, and other documents must match.
  • US Social Security card or a Letter of Ineligibility from the Social Security Administration (The SSA Office is located at 2 Court St. in downtown Binghamton. Here is a link to a map:,-75.914872,17z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m2!3m1!1s0x89daef6e36cef6f7:0x75d9680f5675531c?hl=en )
  • Additional proof of identity to meet the 6 points of identity required by NYS DMV (see the attached information sheet on documentation to prove your identity to the NYS DMV or go to this website: )
  • NYS DMV application for the NYS Learner’s Permit or NYS Driver’s License
  • If you have applied for OPT, you need to have received your EAD card to apply for a new driver’s license.

You may also wish to review the information on this issue at the New York State Department of Motor Vehicle’s website:

Directions to the NYS Department of Motor Vehicles:

All persons in F or J visa status must go to the NYS DMV Office located in the Greater Binghamton Transportation Center on Chenango Street. This is the only office presently equipped with the technology required to process applications where verification of a passport identity pages is necessary.

The Binghamton branch office of the NYS DMV is located at 81 Chenango St. in Binghamton, NY. Here is a link to a map showing the location of the Chenango St. office:,-75.910182,17z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m2!3m1!1s0x89daef7a60290fad:0x11d187b339542d6b?hl=en 

If you go to the Endicott or Broome County Office Building DMV offices, DMV staff will send you to the Chenango St. Office.

You can check on office hours by calling 607-778-2337. Remember office hours may change so be sure to check for the hours during the week you plan to visit the DMV office. Generally the hours of operation are: Monday - Friday: 8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m. (no new transactions after 4:45 p.m.) Regular License Exams: Monday - Friday: 8:00 a.m. - 3:45 p.m. All NYS DMV offices are closed on federal holidays.

The DMV Office is no longer open on Saturday mornings. You can reach the offices by taking a cab or by BC Transit bus. You can review bus schedules on the internet at this link: Speak with the bus driver to learn about transferring between bus routes.

It is against the law to drive a motor vehicle that is not registered, or not covered by auto insurance to the NYS DMV office. The NYS DMV has the legal authority to seize your vehicle and impound it (keep it).You will be ticketed for a violation of the law and you may also be fined.

Last Updated: 8/28/14