Search Target

SEVIS Responsibilities of a J-1 Scholar

Faculty and scholars in J-1 status are responsible for learning, understanding, and complying with U.S. federal laws and regulations governing the J visa. Failure to do so will violate your legal status in the United States and will have serious consequences.

Your responsibilities include the following:

Keep Your Passport Valid at All Times
You must have a valid passport in your possession. For information on renewing your passport, visit the web site of your country's embassy or consulate in the United States.

Report Address Changes Within 10 days to the Office of International Student and Scholar Services (ISSS)
U.S. federal regulations require all J-1 scholars to report a change of address directly to the ISSS within 10 days of the address change. The ISSS is required to provide this and other scholar data to the federal government electronically. No other university office is authorized by the federal government to process this data. Scholars who are subject to the Federal Special Registration Procedures must also report their address change within 10 days to U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) as per the USCIS's instructions. (See:

Abide by U.S. Federal Employment Regulations
J-1 faculty and scholars may conduct research or teach only at Binghamton University unless specifically authorized ahead of time by the ISSS to give a lecture or consult at another U.S. institution. Scholars must contact the ISSS in advance if invited to speak or consult at another school, or attend a professional conference for which they receive reimbursement and/or an honorarium.

Maintain Required Health and Accident Insurance
J-1 faculty and scholars must have ISSS-approved health and accident insurance for themselves and for any J-2 dependents throughout their stay in the United States.

Bring Your SEVIS DS-2019 to the ISSS Prior to Traveling Outside the United States
Scholars should bring their DS-2019 form to the ISSS prior to traveling outside the United States to see if an updated ISSS signature is required. A new form may need to be issued to you. If you will be traveling AND applying for a new visa, you will also want to request a letter of certification from the ISSS, to verify that you are in valid J-1 status.

Notify the ISSS of Any Accompanying Dependents or Dependents Who Will Join You Later
The ISSS prepares visa documents for any dependents of J-1 scholars who will enter the United States on J-2 visas. The ISSS is required to report biographical data on J-2 dependents to the U.S. federal government.

Ending Your Stay at Binghamton Unexpectedly? Report Your Departure Date and Reason to the ISSS
Periodically, scholars leave the university early or unexpectedly due to a variety of reasons. U.S. federal regulations require J-1 scholars to inform the Office of International student and Scholar Services if they plan to leave the university before the expiration date of DS-2019 form as well as the reason for doing so.

Apply for an Extension Prior to the DS-2019 Expiration Date
Scholars must apply for an extension BEFORE their I-20 or DS-2019 form expires if they intend to stay at Binghamton. Your sponsoring BU faculty member must recommend any extension by completing a DS-2019 Request Form, available from the ISSS.

Obtain Transfer Authorization Prior to Leaving Binghamton
Scholars who plan to transfer to another college or university in the United States must receive authorization from the ISSS before their departure.

Depart the United States within the 30-day Grace Period
Scholars in J-1 status must depart the United States within 30 days of the DS-2019 expiration date or their program end date, whichever is earlier, unless they are transferring to a new J program.

Read the Weekly Issues of ISSS-BU News and Stay Informed About Changing Immigration Regulations
While it is the responsibility of the ISSS to keep BU international scholars informed about changing federal immigration regulations, it is the responsibility of BU international scholars to BE INFORMED by reading the weekly issues of ISSS-BU News, sent to your e-mail address each Monday or available on the ISSS web site. [See:]

Important Note
This information is subject to change without notice. If you have any questions or concerns regarding your legal status in the United States, it is important for you to come to the ISSS and set up an appointment to meet with an advisor.

Last Updated: 8/28/14