Search Target

SEVIS Responsibilities of a F-1 or J-1 Student on Optional Practical Training or Academic Training Post Graduation

Students in F-1 or J-1 status are responsible for learning, understanding, and complying with U.S. federal laws and regulations governing the F or J visa. Even after you graduate, the U.S. federal government considers your immigration records to still be under the authority of Binghamton University until your Optional Practical Training or Academic Training ends, or you depart the United States or change to a new non-immigrant status, which ever comes first. Failure to do so will violate your legal status in the United States and will have serious consequences.

Your responsibilities include the following:

Provide the ISSS With a Photocopy of Your EAD Card Once You Receive It (F-1 only)
It is essential that the ISSS have a photocopy of your EAD card on file once it has been sent to you by the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) Service Center.

Keep Your Passport Valid at All Times
You must have a valid passport in your possession. For information on renewing your passport, visit the web site of your country's embassy or consulate in the United States.

Report Address Changes within 10 days to the Office of International Student and Scholar Services (ISSS)
U.S. federal regulations require all F-1 and J-1 students on optional practical training or academic training to report a change of address directly to the ISSS within 10 days of the address change. The ISSS is required to provide this and other student data to the federal government electronically. No other university office is authorized by the federal government to process this data.

Report Employment Changes After 10 days to the Office of International Student and Scholar Services (ISSS)
You are required to report any changes in employment information (including periods of unemployment) to Binghamton University's Office of International Student and Scholar Services immediately following ten days of the change

Maintain Required Health and Accident Insurance
If your U.S. employer does not provide you with health and accident insurance, or if you are not yet employed, contact the ISSS for information regarding health and accident insurance coverage at student rates while on optional practical training or academic training, for you and your dependents. Even if your employer provides you with health insurance as an employee benefit, check to see if the insurance includes medical evacuation and repatriation to your home country. If not, you may purchase just medical evacuation and repatriation insurance from the ISSS.

Ending OPT Early? Report the Change to ISSS
Students must notify the ISSS if they decide to end their optional practical training or academic training early for any reason, such as departure from the United States, change of status, or school enrollment. Students who decide to begin a new program or level of study at another U.S. college or university should note that optional practical training is automatically terminated when a full-time course of study is begun at a new school, or when there is a change in the level of study.

Contact the ISSS Prior to Traveling Outside the United States
Students should contact the ISSS prior to traveling outside the United States to see if an updated ISSS signature is required on their I-20 or DS-2019. For F-1 students, the ISSS signature on page 3 of the I-20 must be less than six months old on the date you will return to the United States. Dependents of F-1 students who are traveling may need to have their I-20s endorsed to indicate the F-1's OPT authorization. Students in F-1 status who will be traveling abroad and have not yet received the EAD card, must be able to present the USCIS receipt notice, as proof that the OPT application has been filed. F-1 students traveling abroad who have received the EAD card must also carry with them a letter from their employer, verifying their employment or job offer. Students who will be traveling AND need to apply for a new visa should consult the ISSS as there may be important issues regarding the visa application.

Notify the ISSS of Any Accompanying Dependents or Dependents Who Will Join You Later
The ISSS prepares visa documents for any dependents of F-1 and J-1 students who will enter the United States on F-2 or J-2 visas. The ISSS is required to report biographical data on F-2 and J-2 dependents to the U.S. federal government.

Obtain Transfer Authorization to a New U.S. School
Students on OPT or Academic Training who plan to transfer to another college or university in the United States after completing OPT or AT must inform the ISSS of their final choice, and complete a SEVIS Release Form so that the ISSS can perform the appropriate "transfer out" process in SEVIS and designate the school to which you will transfer.

Depart the U.S. within the 60 day (F-1) or 30 day (J-1) Grace Period
Students in F-1 status must depart the United States within 60 days of the optional practical training ending date. The exceptions to this rule include those who are transferring to a new school, or have applied for a change of status with U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS).

Students in J-1 status must depart the United States within 30 days of the academic training end date, unless they are transferring to a new J program.

Read the Monthly Issues of ISSS-BU News and Stay Informed About Changing Immigration Regulations
While it is the responsibility of the ISSS to keep BU international students informed about changing federal immigration regulations, it is the responsibility of BU international students to STAY INFORMED by reading the monthly issues of ISSS-BU News, sent to your e-mail address or available on the ISSS web site.

Important Note
This information is subject to change without notice. If you have any questions or concerns regarding your legal status in the United States, it is important for you to contact the ISSS by either e-mail or phone.

SEVIS Student OPT Responsibilities

Last Updated: 10/22/18