Search Target

Tax filing season is here!

If you were present in the United States during the previous calendar year, you will need to file one or more tax forms in the spring, even if you were not employed. Tax laws that apply to internationals are not the same as those that apply to U.S. citizens and/or permanent residents. International students filing tax forms for the first time often find it to be a very confusing process (as do domestic students).

The staff at the Office of International Student and Scholar Services are neither qualified nor permitted to give individual tax advice. Students with complicated tax situations may wish to consult with a tax preparation service, professional tax accountant or tax attorney who is knowledgeable about non-resident tax law.

Federal Income Taxes
ISSS has purchased a license for Glacier Tax Prep, an internet-based income tax preparation product for non-residents. Glacier Tax Prep will determine your residency status for tax purposes, and prepare and print your federal non-resident tax forms. This is a free service.

Once you have logged in to Glacier Tax Prep, if you have questions while completing Federal Tax Forms, click on the Help Link in Glacier Tax Prep to submit a question to the GTP Support Center.

State Income Taxes
After you complete your federal tax return, and it is determined you must also file a state tax return, you can link to Sprintax, an internet-based product for state income tax preparation. See state tax forms for more information.

Sprintax may be used to file tax forms for any state in the U.S. You can access Sprintax from Glacier Tax Prep after you complete your federal tax forms. There is a fee associated with using Sprintax.

Once you have logged in to Sprintax, if you have questions while completing your state tax forms, click on the Contact Us link for different ways to get assistance.

Important Dates
The deadline for filing tax forms for the previous tax year is April 15.

Visit for more information.

NOTE: If you received a scholarship or fellowship, or you worked for the state or Research Foundation and were able to claim the benefits of a tax treaty based on wages, you will receive a Form 1042-S. Do NOT file your taxes until you receive this form!  Form 1042-S should be available to you no later than March 15.

TurboTax Warning!
International students who are non-residents for tax purposes should NOT use TurboTax to file their tax returns, since the software does NOT provide support for non-resident tax forms. Most tax software programs do not provide this support.

Additional Information
Residents for tax purposes
Additional sources of assistance
Taxes – Frequently Asked Questions

Last Updated: 8/22/19