Recycling/Disposing of Computer Equipment and Cellular Devices

Responsible Office: Office of the Chief Information Officer (ITS)
Policy Type: Information Technology
Policy Number: 301
Last Date Revised: 6/9/17

When an office or department needs to recycle or transfer equipment containing confidential information, it must be delivered to Information Technology Services (ITS) at the Computer Center, Room G01. Delivery of the equipment can be made by the originating office/department or by submitting a service request to Physical Facilities requesting expeditors to pick up and deliver. Do not leave computer equipment unattended or in hallways during transfer.

I. If the computer equipment is being redeployed by ITS to a campus department, the equipment will be re-initialized using the U.S. Department of Defense (DOD) methods, reloaded with University licensed operating system and programs, and then distributed to another user on campus and a Form A completed to designate the new location of the equipment.

II. If the computer is being surplused, traded, sold or scrapped, the hard drives will be removed and hand carried to the recycler. A certificate of destruction is kept on file. Shredding of hard drives ensures there is no way any information can be recovered from the drive. Tablets do not have a hard drive but will be appropriately scrapped as well.

III. If a copier is being surplused, traded, sold or scrapped, the hard drives are removed and destroyed by the recycler, thus insuring that no information can be recovered.

IV. University Issued/Purchased Cell Phones - If a department purchases a cell phone for an employee (either from Telecommunications or directly from a cellular provider) and the employee either upgrades the phone, leaves the University, or will no longer be using the phone, the old phone may 1) be redeployed to another employee in the department or 2) be deactivated and held by the department head to serve as a backup for a lost or broken phone. If the department cannot identify a business need for the old cell phone, the device must be returned to Telecommunications, which will assure that the phone is properly sanitized to delete and erase all information and then disposed of in an appropriate manner. Departments and/or individual employees do not have the authority to donate, recycle, or sell state issued cell phones.

A Form A must be completed when surplussing or transferring any equipment. The Form A can be completed online at http://www.binghamton.edu/property-control/Form-a-html but prior to submitting the form, be sure to print a copy and attach it to the equipment.