THIS PAGE IS CURRENTLY BEING UPDATED - 10/10/20
Desktop Migration | Application | Placeholder1 | Placeholder 2
https://www.baruch.cuny.edu/bctc/newforest.htm _ for inspiration...
ABOUT BU DOMAIN (GENERAL PURPOSE)
Info here. An overview of what and why? How does this benefit the campus?
Binghamton Campus faculty, staff and students are issued an Active Directory account to access the BGM network. Faculty and staff also use it to connect to their Bmail. When Active Directory was originally set up, students, faculty, and staff were assigned to separate "domains"-containers where user accounts are stored. In this system, users have had to know their assigned domain (e.g., ACAD, BGM, or STUDENT) to log into the BGM network and its computing services. These three domains made up the "forest" of domains at Binghamton University.
Today, there is no longer a need to separate users this way. All users will now share a single domain, BU DOMAIN. There are many advantages to this:
- All of the Binghamton ITS services requiring an Active Directory account will be accessible with just one password.
- ITS will be able to update software used to run the network and consolidate different wireless networks into one "BU DOMAIN" wireless network.
- The ultimate goal is to provide the latest technology/functionality while also simplifying the user's access to the BU DOMAIN network.
FACULTY & STAFF DESKTOP MIGRATION
Description of why we are moving from BGM to BU Domain
- Can I schedule the time slot for my migration to BU Domain?
WHO DOES IT AFFECT?
Faculty and Staff
In order to make this a smooth migration with little impact on faculty and staff, most of the preparatory work has been completed which includes:
- Setting up dual authentication on all external/internal web applications
- item here
- another item here
To further minimize impact, ITS will schedule the majority of account migrations at night and during weekends, when possible. However, faculty and staff should anticipate some downtime and changes.
Students were migrated over summer break, so they will not have any service downtime during the rest of the migration. (IS THIS CORRECT?)
If you have any questions or concerns about the BU Domain migration, please contact the Help Desk.
CALENDAR SCHEDULING AND COMPUTER ACCESS
You and your department or office will be notified by ITS when your migration is scheduled. All computers should remain ON when being migrated. DO NOT turn off your computer, and don't access your compter in person or VPN before the migration as it could reboot without warning which could cause you to lose unsaved work. You're fine logging in as you have before the day after the migration: Your credentials will not have changed.
WHAT IS INVOLVED IN THIS MIGRATION?
- Shared drives: S Drive, H Drive, BGM/PODs, etc.
- Networked printers
- Local printers
WHAT DO I NEED TO DO TO PREPARE FOR THIS MIGRATION?
- Back up your files
- Reset your password approx. 48 hours before your designated migration time at https://password.binghamton.edu