LACAS and Study Abroad
Students who want to have all or some of their study abroad courses count for LACAS credit should make an appointment to speak with the LACAS program Director or Associate Director before and after they travel. You can obtain the credit either by participating in a SUNY-Binghamton Study Abroad program or by participating in a study abroad program sponsored by another college or university.
Binghamton currently sponsors over 25 active study-abroad and exchange programs in a wide variety of locations and fields — and new programs are constantly being developed.
There are programs in every field, on every continent, so start exploring your options!
While Studying Abroad You Can....
- Take classes for your major, minor, or explore new fields of study
- Learn a new language or improve existing language skills
- Gain a competitive edge in the job market or for graduate school
- Develop intercultural knowledge and abilities
- Do field work or an internship in another country
- Gain a new perspective on your field of study
- Explore cultural differences and commonalities
- Develop independence and self-reliance
For more information: http://www2.binghamton.edu/oip/
Study Abroad Application Process
The application process is quite simple.
- Be sure you meet the program eligibility requirements. Most programs have GPA requirements
and, where English is not the official language, many have language requirements.
Some programs may require you to have junior or senior standing at the time of participation.
- Complete a study-abroad application packet, which asks for biographical information,
a study statement, letters of academic reference and transcripts from all colleges
or universities where you have studied.
- You should obtain your application directly from the sponsor campus international
programs website. Applications are submitted directly to the SUNY campus offering the program.
- Deadlines for submission are during the middle part of the semester before you wish
to go. Most spring programs have application deadlines between October 1 and November
1, while most fall, academic-year and summer programs have application deadline between
March 1 and April 15. Actual dates vary by program.
- If you are applying for a non-Binghamton program, be sure to stop by our office to
let us know you are applying for study abroad. You will need to fill out a short form with our office so we can get you in our system.
For more information contact BU's Office of International Program (OIP) which encompasses, among others: Study Abroad Programs; Exchange Program; Global Studies Minor, and Languages Across the Curriculum.