Food & Drink Policy
- Snacks and food in small containers are allowed in most locations within the University Libraries. Full meals (open plates of food), group meals, and food deliveries are not permitted.
- Please be respectful of others: Do not bring in messy, aromatic or "noisy" food items.
- Drinks must be in covered containers.
- Please use caution around library materials, computer and other electronic equipment.
- Food and drink are not permitted in the Special Collections and University Archives (located on the second floor of Bartle Library), the Bartle Library Instruction Lab (located within the Newcomb Reading Room), and the Adaptive Technology Rooms (located on the 1st, 3rd and 4th floors).
- Food items and food waste cannot be left in study carrels for any period of time – see the Locked Study Carrels Guidelines for more information.
Leave No Trace*
The purpose of our food and drink policy is to aid in the preservation and care of library materials and electronic equipment, to maintain pest-free buildings, to reduce litter, and to ensure a clean environment for research and collaboration.
Please help keep the Libraries clean for all library users by disposing of waste in the trash and recycling
receptacles located throughout the Libraries and reporting accidental spills to library staff.
Make a clean & pleasant library environment your responsibility. We appreciate your cooperation.
Determination of what food is appropriate for consumption in the Libraries is at the discretion of the Library staff. Library staff may ask any patron who does not comply with the Food and Drink Policy to leave the library - see the Libraries' Disruptive Behavior Policy for more information. Users are liable for any damage to library property caused by food or drinks.