Bartle Library Third-Floor Renovation
Historically, academic libraries have served as the intellectual center of universities, supporting the curriculum and research of its faculty and students. Today, university libraries across the country are transforming their spaces into innovative centers of scholarship and teaching.
With funding approved and provided by New York state, the Glenn G. Bartle Library’s third floor will be renovated over the next four to five years (see timeline below). There is a critical need for an extensive mechanical update as well as asbestos removal. The renovation project provides the ideal opportunity to redesign the floor to meet the current needs of our campus community.
The goal of the third-floor redesign is to transform the floor into an innovative and inviting space for study, teaching and research. The new space will include areas for quiet study, collaborative work, instruction, research and our unique collection.
We welcome and encourage feedback from faculty and students to assist with the decision process and we will continue to reach out to our patrons throughout the renovation process. To provide feedback, visit Library Renovation Feedback.
Visit the Library Renovation Updates blog for the latest information.
- Growth space for unique research print collection
- Increased overall study spaces to meet demand due to increase in student population with more electrical outlets on the third floor (we heard you!)
- Enhanced research and study spaces to encourage quiet study, collaborative work and use of our extensive and growing collection
- A new Digital Scholarship Center to create a community of practice for research and activities in the digital realm on campus
- Vastly improved natural lighting that will extend further into the floor
- A flexible floor plan and spaces to be adaptable to future needs of the library and the campus community
- Improved wayfinding throughout the floor for easier access to services and resources
- Extensive mechanical and structural updates that will greatly improve the overall environment for the entire library
- A better environment for the long-term conservation and preservation of the print collection
The Bartle Library third floor renovation is a four-to-five-year project. The timeline will be updated periodically as project phases are determined and finalized.
icons by icons8.