The FAQ page concerning the discontinuing of the Binghamton Advantage Program can be found here

General questions

Am I a SUNY Broome student or a Binghamton University student?

You are initially a SUNY Broome student living at Binghamton. Academically you will be taking your courses and receiving advising at SUNY Broome. You will need to abide by SUNY Broome's Rules of Student Conduct. 

As a BAP student, you will be living on Binghamton’s campus with the ability to participate in campus life activities, but you cannot enroll in or attend classes at Binghamton. As a residential student, you will need to abide by Binghamton's Code of Student Conduct as well as the University Housing Agreement. Once you have fulfilled the requirements for admission to Binghamton University you will become a fully matriculated Binghamton student.

Can I take courses at Binghamton while I am in the BAP Program?

No. Students cannot be registered in or attend classes at Binghamton University or any other institution until they have met the program requirements for transfer after Year 1 or Year 2. There are no exceptions to this rule.

Can I go to health services on either campus?

Yes.  SUNY Broome’s Health Services and Binghamton’s Decker Student Services both provide basic health services covered by student health fees. However, if you need medical assistance beyond the services provided, make sure you are covered under your parent/guardian’s insurance.  If that is not a viable option, you will need to consider student health insurance through the New York State Health Plan Marketplace or other vendor.

Where can I live as a BAP student?

BAP can choose to live in any of the five (5) residential communities (College-in-the-Woods, Hinman, Dicksinson, Mountainview, Newing) and can live with BAP or Binghamton students. BAP students are not charged extra for days they need to remain on-campus during the fall and spring semesters due to the difference between the SUNY Broome and Binghamton University academic calendars. NOTE: First-year students, including BAP participants, are not permitted to live in the apartment community.)

Where do BAP students eat when Binghamton is on break?

Food service on Binghamton's campus,  although scaled back in offerings and hours of operation, remains in service to meet the needs of BAP, international students, athletes and student interns who typically remain on campus during breaks. Students will be given more details and information when these circumstances arise. 

Are BAP students eligible for the same services/activities/competitive sports at Binghamton as well as Broome?

Yes, student services/activities are available to anyone participating in the BAP program on both campuses, although there are a few exceptions at Binghamton. BAP students are also not permitted to pledge/rush a fraternity and/or sorority until they matriculate over to Binghamton. 

At SUNY Broome, students are eligible to play collegiate sports. Contact the appropriate coach for information. At SUNY Broome, BAP students can also participate in student government, as well as all other student activities, clubs and organizations.

Can I apply for a job at SUNY Broome or at Binghamton?

If you qualify based on your Free Application for Financial Aid (FAFSA), you can apply for Federal Work Study positions at SUNY Broome. You can apply for non-work study student positions on either campus.

At Binghamton University, available positions are found online through hireBING.

At SUNY Broome, you can find information about on-campus employment by clicking here. 

Can BAP students have a car on the Binghamton campus?

Yes. Obtaining a parking permit as a first-year student is a special consideration with limited parking options. BAP students can also ride public transportation for free. Read more about transportation options

Can I smoke on either campus?

SUNY Broome is a smoke-free environment/campus. Binghamton University is a smoke- and tobacco-free campus.

Program Requirement Questions

Can I transfer to Binghamton after one semester in BAP?

No. BAP is a one-year program in which students must meet a minimum GPA and credit requirement to enter Binghamton. Entrance occurs once a year during the fall. Read more about requirements >

Academics/Advising Questions 

Does Binghamton accept AP credit?

Students can earn credit for AP exams as long as they receive a score of 3 or better.  To receive proper credit for any AP courses taken, you must have your AP scores sent to Binghamton University. If you did not send your scores using the AP Answer Sheet, you may order score reports online, or by mail or fax. Please make sure that you follow the instructions based on how you're requesting your scores to be sent. Note: Binghamton University's school code is 2535 and SUNY Broome's is 2048. Test scores  may receive credit based on the policy established by the State University of New York. For more information about individual test acceptance and credit, click here. 

Does Binghamton accept IB credit?

Students may earn credit by examination for coursework completed in high school under the International Baccalaureate Program. Credit is awarded only for higher-level exams, with exam scores of 4 or 5 receiving four credits and exam scores of 6 or 7 receiving 8 credits. Read more >

Will Binghamton accept my credits from SUNY Broome?

Yes! Your advisors will work closely with you to make sure you are taking the right courses that will transfer to Binghamton University to satisfy degree & general education requirements. Keep in mind, you must earn a grade of a "C-" or better for the course to transfer. 

Where can I get a tutor?

Students obtain tutoring at Broome, where courses are being taken.

BAP students can access academic support services through the Learning Assistance Department, which includes the Tutoring Center, Math Lab and the Writing Center.

Read more about academic support services >

Who is my advisor?

BAP students are assigned to an advisor in SUNY Broome’s Academic Advising Office. 

Can I enter a college/school other than Harpur College or CCPA?

Students are accepted into Harpur College or the College of Community and Public Affairs. If a student is in the Harpur track and wants to transfer into CCPA, or vice versa, contact the Binghamton University Undergraduate Admissions Office for review and consideration. If you wish to change your major to transfer into the School of Management (SOM), Decker College of Nursing and Health Sciences (DCONHS), the Thomas J. Watson College of Engineering and Applied Science or the School of Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Sciences (SoPPS ) stay in the BAP program and apply for an Intra-University Transfer (IUT) in the spring after you begin your fall semester as a Binghamton student. The IUT process is initiated through the Office of Undergraduate Admissions at Binghamton. Review the IUT criteria for prerequisite coursework.