Must do’s/next steps (after you've paid your enrollment deposit)

Access computer accounts

Your Binghamton University Computer Account is used to access all online resources on campus: housing request form, public computers on campus, Medicat (health forms), Internet connection, BU BRAIN Self-Service etc. You access your computer account by logging in with your user ID and password (PODS password). Follow these instructions to log in

You will also be assigned a SUNY Broome unique campus computer account username and password, which allows access to the SUNY Broome campus network, your campus email account and lab computers. This is mailed to you once you submit your deposit. 

Your SUNY Broome campus computer account username and password provides access to the student web portal, Log into MyCollege to:

  • receive official SUNY Broome information and communications
  • access course registration and schedule information, academic records, financial aid and admissions information
  • check your grades

Access email accounts

As a student attending one institution while living on the other, you will have two separate and equally important email accounts. Official information and communications from each of the institutions is sent to their respective accounts. 

Your BMail account is where all official Binghamton University information and communications are sent. You should check your Bmail at least twice daily to assure that you are up to date on campus notifications, required student account transactions and other deadline-oriented actions that you are required to complete.

By May 31, 2023, you should have received a letter via the US postal service from SUNY Broome with your SUNY Broome B#, email address and temporary password. Be sure to set up your email, which can be accessed through MyCollege or directly via webmail. Your SUNY Broome email account is where all official SUNY Broome information and communications are sent. Students should check this email account at least twice daily.

Do NOT merge or combine these two gmail based accounts, as forwarded messages are automatically directly for spam or trash. Keep them as two separate and independent email accounts.

Send final high-school transcript  

All students are required to submit an official, final high-school transcript, including graduation date and seal, stamp or signature, or a GED. By May 31, 2023, students should submit a request to their high school guidance office, requesting that at the conclusion of the spring semester, an official, final transcript be mailed or emailed to SUNY Broome and Binghamton admissions offices. If you attempted or completed any college coursework while attending high school, you must have those official college transcripts sent to SUNY Broome and Binghamton University.

NOTE: If you are having issues getting your transcript , contact Binghamton University's Office of Undergraduate Admissions and SUNY Broome Admissions Office.

Transcripts should be sent directly from the high school or agency prior to Orientation at the following locations:

  • SUNY Broome Admissions Office, PO Box 1017, Binghamton, NY 13902
  • Binghamton University Undergraduate Admissions, PO Box 6001, Binghamton, NY 13902-6001 

OR, ask the high school or agency to email your official transcript to AND

Timely receipt of transcripts and test scores will ensure that advisement is accurate and that no holds are placed on your student account at Binghamton University and/or SUNY Broome (preventing you from completing essential, future online transactions).

Know your B-Numbers

As a student participating in this program and engaging with two institutions, you will have two B#s. These numbers are your unique identifiers for you at the respective institution when accessing services. 

The B-Number is the primary identification number for students at Binghamton. To access it, log into the Binghamton portal,, click on the BU BRAIN Self-Service icon in the top left-hand corner, select the "Home" tab and click on "What's My B-Number?" You will be able to access this after you pay your enrollment deposit. 

For SUNY Broome,  you will receive a  letter via the US postal service that includes your SUNY Broome B#, email address and temporary password after you make your enrollment deposit. 

Advanced Placement (AP) credit

To receive proper credit for any AP courses taken, you must have your AP scores sent to Binghamton University. If you did not send your scores using the AP Answer Sheet, you may order score reports online, or by mail or fax. Please make sure that you follow the instructions based on how you're requesting your scores to be sent. Note: Binghamton University's school code is 2535 and SUNY Broome's is 2048. Test scores  may receive credit based on the policy established by the State University of New York. You should also bring your student copy with you to your summer academic advising meeting.

International Baccalaureate (IB) credit

Credit is awarded only for higher-level IB exams, with scores of 4 or 5 receiving four credits, and scores of 6 or 7 receiving eight credits. IB scores are submitted through the International Baccalaureate  website.

Students in the International Baccalaureate Diploma Program may receive up to 32 credits. To receive the full 32 credits, the following conditions must be met:

  • The IB diploma must be completed with a score of 30 or more points; and
  • The student must complete at least three higher-level exams with a score of 5 or higher.

Diploma holders who meet these conditions receive credit for their individual exam scores plus additional liberal arts elective credit to total 32 credits.

SUNY General Education requirements can be satisfied by completing higher-level exams in five of the 10 areas of competency. In addition, the General Education requirement for foreign language is satisfied by a score of 4-7 on either the higher level or standard level exams.

Sign up for housing at Binghamton University

As a student in the Binghamton Advantage Program, you are required to live on campus. To start this process, you will need to fill out the housing application starting April 12th. Only those students that have deposited will be able to do this. You will then receive a randomly selected date/time from the Office of Residential Life of when you can physically choose your community, building, floor, and room. For more information about this and to review the different communities, please visit the Office of Residential Life's webpage

Sign up for your Pre-Orientation and Orientation Sessions

As soon as students have access to the Binghamton University Orientation Checklist, you will be able to sign up for your Pre-Orientation Virtual Session, as well as your in-person Orientation date! Both of these are mandatory for our students to ensure that you have all the required necessities to be a successful student at both SUNY Broome and Binghamton University!

As part of the Pre-Orientation session, students will learn the process of registering for courses for Fall. You will then be able to register for at least 3 (if not more) courses on your own and be able to finalize when you come to the in-person orientation. You are strongly encouraged to register for on-campus courses versus online courses when possible.

The Pre-Orientation virtual sessions will take place during the months of May and June (various dates). You will have a choice of 4 different in-person orientation dates in June/July. Click here to learn more!  If you have questions, contact New Student Programs at 607-777-4986 or 

Submit health forms

New York state requires that students submit information related to health and medical information to colleges and universities. Since you have interactions with both campuses, Binghamton University and SUNY Broome each need your immunization information. To streamline this process for you, Binghamton University will serve as the primary repository of immunization records and will provide copies of your vaccine records to SUNY Broome as long as a 'Release of Information Form' is submitted which grants permission to do so. Students can also choose to send a copy of their immunization records to SUNY Broome directly.

As these documents may take time to locate and/or request from medical offices, we encourage you to begin this process now. If you have any questions, contact Decker Health Services Center at or 607-777-2221. You will need your Binghamton University B-Number (student ID number). Students over 18 can request this service themselves without parent/guardian involvement. 

Students receive weekly notifications to their Binghamton email account if they are not in compliance. 

New York state residency information

To qualify for the New York resident tuition fee, a student is required by law (NYS Education Law, Section 6305) to present once each academic year, a residency certificate indicating that they have been a legal resident of the state of New York for one year, and of a county for six months. This certificate is obtained from your home county. No other documentation will satisfy this requirement.

New York state counties will issue certificates up to 60 calendar days prior to the start of the semester and until 30 days into the semester. Counties are permitted by law to refuse applications after the 30th day of the semester. Many counties adhere to this deadline with no exceptions.

Each New York county processes residency requests differently. Some must be done in person only and some via mail only. We cannot accept scanned or faxed copies of the certificate issued to you. For more details and to obtain the forms, visit Broome’s residency website.  

Note: Tuition bills will include non-resident charges for students who have not submitted a valid certificate of residency to the SUNY Broome Student Accounts Office. Non-resident charges double the tuition portion of the bill.

Secure ID cards

A Binghamton student ID card is needed for access to campus housing, residential and campus dining facilities, library services, athletic event admission, bus transportation and more. You must upload a photo for your student ID.

A SUNY Broome student ID card is needed for access to library services, athletics events, discounts with many area businesses and more. Once you are registered for classes, go online to upload a photo and set up your student ID card.

Sign up for Emergency Alert contact information

Binghamton uses an emergency alert system called B-Alert that is capable of sending users text, voice and email messages.

Students are automatically enrolled in this system upon enrolling. You are encouraged to add your parents to your B-Alert account. You may add up to three email addresses and three cell phone numbers by clicking on "My Information" and updating your information under Emergency Alert Notification (Rave Mobile Safety). 

SUNY Broome uses an emergency alert system called Rave-Alert. Students are automatically enrolled in the Rave Alert. 

Questions? Call SUNY Broome Campus Safety at 607-778-5083.

Confirm Binghamton University Code of Student Conduct

You will confirm your receipt of the Binghamton University Code of Student Conduct when you log into BU BRAIN for the first time as a student. You cannot access areas of BU BRAIN without accepting the Code of Student Conduct as it is a requirement of the State of New York and SUNY where you positively affirm the Code of Student Conduct as a condition of your enrollment. If you have questions, contact the Office of Student Conduct at or 607-777-6210.

SUNY Broome Rules of Student Conduct

By attending SUNY Broome you accept responsibility for adhering to its Rules of Student Conduct. Because SUNY Broome strives to ensure the success of all its community members, its standards of conduct may exceed federal, state or local requirements.  Students are held responsible for any actions that violate the Code of Student Conduct both on and off the SUNY Broome campus.  

If you have questions, contact the Associate Vice President/Dean of Students office at 607-778-5681 or

Seek part-time employment 

SUNY Broome employs over 120 students through the Federal Work Study (FWS) program in both on- and off-campus positions. FWS employment is based upon financial aid needs and awarded on a first-come, first-served basis.  Students may work up to 20 hours per week when classes are in session or up to 37.5 hours a week during class vacations. Pay is minimum wage. SUNY Broome also has non-work study positions available as well. You can find additional information about on campus employment by clicking here. 

Students seeking part-time, non-work study employment opportunities through Binghamton University should register at hireBING. To build marketable skills, BAP students are encouraged to take advantage of the training resources offered by Binghamton’s Fleishman Center student employment initiative.

Proof of enrollment (if needed)

An insurance company, scholarship program, loan company or other third party may require a student and/or family to show proof of enrollment (also called enrollment verification).

To obtain official enrollment verification information, the student must first complete and submit the SUNY Broome Information Release Form. The form can be found at the Registrar's Office or accessed online, completed and submitted via FAX or USPS. Within the document, the student must select Letter of Enrollment and complete the question related to whom the information can be shared. If you have any questions, contact the Registrar's Office at 607-778-5527 or via email at