Melissa Morales joined the Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences at Binghamton University at a research assistant professor in September 2017. Prior to joining the department, Morales was a postdoctoral research fellow in the Department of Physiology and Pharmacology at Wake Forest School of Medicine, where she studied the neurophysiological changes that occur following chronic alcohol use in a rat model of dependence. Her current research (funded by Cure JM) focuses on understanding the contribution of type 1 interferons on muscle weakness and fatigue in a rare neuromuscular disease, Juvenile Dermatomyositis (JDM). Additionally, Morales is working on a JDM urine biomarker discovery project that is funded by the Myositis Association.
- PhD, Binghamton University
- MS, Binghamton University
- BA, SUNY College at Cortland
- Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy
- Mechanisms underlying neuromuscular diseases
- Behavioral and Cellular Neuroscience