Wesley Kufel grew up in Syracuse, N.Y., and received his Doctor of Pharmacy degree from the State University of New York (SUNY) at Buffalo School of Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Sciences. Following graduation, he completed a PGY1 Pharmacy Practice Residency at SUNY Upstate University Hospital in Syracuse, and a PGY2 Infectious Diseases Pharmacy Residency at the University of North Carolina Medical Center in Chapel Hill, N.C.
He joined the Binghamton University School of Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Sciences as a clinical assistant professor in the Department of Pharmacy Practice in 2017. He is also a clinical pharmacy specialist in infectious diseases at SUNY Upstate University Hospital in Syracuse, where he provides clinical services for the antimicrobial stewardship program and the infectious diseases consultation teams. Kufel also holds a faculty appointment as a clinical assistant professor in the Department of Medicine at SUNY Upstate Medical University, where is he actively involved in interprofessional infectious disease education.
Kufel is a Board Certified Pharmacotherapy Specialist (BCPS), Board Certified Infectious Diseases Pharmacist (BCIDP), and is an HIV Certified Pharmacist (AAHIVP) by the American Academy of HIV Medicine.
- Jeffres MN, Kufel WD, Biehle LR, Cho JC, Narayanan N, Gruenberg K, Garcia J, MacDougall C. “A Comprehensive Survey of Infectious Diseases Curriculum among United States Pharmacy Schools.” American Journal of Pharmaceutical Education. 2019; Epub ahead of print.
- Beccari MV, Mogle BT, Sidman EF, Mastro KA, Asiago-Reddy EA, Kufel WD. Ibalizumab: A Novel Monoclonal Antibody for the Management of Multidrug Resistant HIV-1 Infection. Antimicrob Agents Chemother. 2019; Epub ahead of print.
- Kufel WD, Seabury RW, Mogle BT, Beccari MV, Probst LA, Steele JM. Are we ready to implement area under the curve-based monitoring? A cross-sectional Survey of a National Health Consortium. Am J Health Syst Pharm. 2019; Epub ahead of print.
- Kufel WD, Eranki AP, Paolino KP, Call A, Miller CD, Mogle BT. In vivo Pharmacokinetic Analysis of Meropenem-Vaborbactam During Continuous Renal Replacement Therapy. J Antimicrob Chemother. 2019; Epub ahead of print.
- Mogle BT, Beccari MV, Fazili T, Steele JM, Kufel WD. Oral antibiotics for Enterobacteriaceae bacteremia: Should beta-lactams be part of the conversation? Expert Opin Pharmacother; 2019; Epub ahead of print
- PharmD, University at Buffalo
- Infectious diseases
- Lyme disease
- Antimicrobial stewardship
- Pharmacy and interprofessional education
- Teacher of the Year, Binghamton University School of Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Sciences (2018)
- Infectious Diseases Society of America IDWeek Mentorship Program Travel Award (2017)
- American College of Clinical Pharmacy (ACCP) Resident/Fellow Travel Grant (2016)
- Triangle College of Clinical Pharmacy (TCCP) Resident Travel Grant (2016)
- Merck Academic Excellence Award,University at Buffalo School of Pharmacy (2015)
- Pharmacist Society of the State of New York Outstanding Student Leader Award (2015)
- Who's Who Among Students in American Universities and Colleges (2015)
- Pharmacist Association of Western New York Golf Scholarship (2014)
- Phi Lambda Sigma (PLS) Pharmacy Leadership Society (2014)
- Rho Chi Pharmacy Honor Society (2013)