Kufel earned his Doctor of Pharmacy degree from the University at Buffalo School of Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Sciences in Buffalo, N.Y., completed a PGY1 Pharmacy Residency at SUNY Upstate University Hospital in Syracuse, N.Y., and completed a PGY2 Infectious Diseases Pharmacy Residency at University of North Carolina Medical Center in Chapel Hill, N.C. He joined the Binghamton University School of Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Sciences as a clinical assistant professor in the Department of Pharmacy Practice in 2017, and was promoted to clinical associate professor in 2022.
Currently, Kufel provides didactic and experiential education for pharmacy students in the area of infectious diseases. He is also a clinical pharmacy specialist in infectious diseases at SUNY Upstate University Hospital, where he provides clinical services for the antimicrobial stewardship program and the infectious diseases consultation teams, and serves as a preceptor for the PGY2 Infectious Diseases and PGY1 Pharmacy Residency programs. Kufel is a clinical assistant professor in the Department of Medicine, Division of Infectious Diseases, at SUNY Upstate Medical University, where he provides interprofessional infectious disease education to medical students, medical residents and infectious disease fellows.
Kufel has delivered several continuing education programs in the area of infectious diseases at local, state and national professional meetings. He is also actively involved and has held leadership positions in several professional organizations including the American Society of Health-System Pharmacists (ASHP), American College of Clinical Pharmacy (ACCP), Society of Infectious Diseases Pharmacists (SIDP) and New York-State Council of Health-System Pharmacists (NYSCHP). He also founded the Student Society of Health-System Pharmacy chapter at the School of Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Sciences.
Kufel is a Board-Certified Pharmacotherapy Specialist (BCPS), Board-Certified Infectious Diseases Pharmacist (BCIDP), and an HIV Certified Pharmacist (AAHIVP) by the American Academy of HIV Medicine.
- PharmD, University at Buffalo
- Antimicrobial stewardship
- Lyme disease
- Antimicrobial Pharmacokinetics
- Infectious Diseases Education
- Binghamton University Individual Development Award (2022)
- New York State Council of Health-System Pharmacists New Practitioner Award (2021)
- Walmart Scholars Faculty Mentor, American Association of Colleges of Pharmacy (2020)
- Binghamton University Individual Development Award (2020)
- New York State American College of Clinical Pharmacy Educator of the Year Award (2019)
- Binghamton University Individual Development Award (2019)
- Infectious Diseases Society of America Antimicrobial Stewardship Center of Excellence Recipient (2019)
- Binghamton University School of Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Sciences Teacher of the Year (2018)
- American College of Clinical Pharmacy Resident/Fellow Travel Grant (2016)
- Triangle College of Clinical Pharmacy Resident Travel Grant (2016)
- Merck Academic Excellence Award,University at Buffalo School of Pharmacy (2015)
- Pharmacist Society of the State of New York Outstanding Student Leader Award (2015)
- Who's Who Among Students in American Universities and Colleges (2015)
- Pharmacist Association of Western New York Golf Scholarship (2014)
- Phi Lambda Sigma (PLS) Pharmacy Leadership Society (2014)
- Rho Chi Pharmacy Honor Society (2013)