Fellowship in Clinical Toxicology and Emergency Medicine
The Binghamton University School of Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Sciences, in collaboration with SUNY Upstate Medical University and the Upstate New York Poison Center, offers a two-year clinical toxicology fellowship program. The fellowship provides Doctor of Pharmacy graduates (PharmD) with the clinical, administrative, academic and research experience needed to successfully credential and sit for the American Board of Applied Toxicology exam.
One of only a handful of such fellowships in the country, the fellowship will open doors to career opportunities in a variety of settings, including inpatient clinical services (toxicology, emergency medicine, etc.), certified poison centers, conducting direct patient care research and working in academia. Possibilities include serving as a director of a poison center, providing bedside patient care, providing care in an acute care center or entering a research setting in industry or academia. The medical and clinical toxicology fellowship program works in an interprofessional environment, preparing the fellow to work with healthcare professionals including physicians, nurses and pharmacists, across the patient care environment.
For additional information about the clinical toxicology fellowship, email William Eggleston, assistant professor of pharmacy practice at Binghamton University, at email@example.com.
The fellow will:
- develop the clinical skills needed to evaluate a patient presenting after a suspected xenobiotic exposure, formulate a comprehensive treatment and monitoring plan and communicate patient care recommendations to an interprofessional team.
- collaborate with clinical and basic science colleagues to strengthen research skills, understand research oversight and funding, design a research proposal and complete a research project for submission.
- design and deliver educational activities in didactic, skills-based and clinical settings, including lecture materials, summative and formative assessments, classroom administrative tasks and formal verbal or written feedback.
Clinical activities will include:
- working with an interprofessional medical and clinical toxicology bedside consult service at SUNY Upstate Medical University in Syracuse, N.Y.
- providing clinical support for healthcare facilities and home-based callers through the Upstate New York Poison Center based at SUNY Upstate Medical University
- participation in emergency medicine clinical care, didactic lectures and topic discussions at SUNY Upstate Medical University
Research activities will include:
- completion of the SUNY Upstate Medical University residency research certificate program
- working with faculty mentors to develop a research protocol, obtain approval from the institutional review board, complete a research project and submit for presentation or publication
- participation in research development and oversight, including grant writing/evaluation and peer-review processes
Academic activities will include:
- developing content for classroom-based teaching and assessments, including didactic lectures, skill-based assessments and "flipped" classroom activities or simulations
- writing, mapping and evaluating examination questions for low-stakes and high-stakes assessments
- participation in faculty development activities, committee work and governance
- Must possess a PharmD degree and be eligible for licensure in the State of New York
- Completion of a PGY1 pharmacy practice residency or previous clinical pharmacy experience in a healthcare setting
This two-year position has an expected start date of July 1, 2021. Offers of employment may be contingent upon successful completion of a pre-employment background check and verification of degree(s) and credentials.
Review of applications will continue until the vacancy is filled.
Persons interested in this position should apply online at http://binghamton.interviewexchange.com/login.jsp.
- Curriculum vitae
- Cover letter, addressed “To the Search Committee”
- Contact information for three professional references
You may add additional files/documents after uploading your resume. After you fill out your contact information, you will be directed to the upload page. Login to check/edit your profile or to upload additional documents at http://binghamton.interviewexchange.com/login.jsp.