Complete your bachelor’s degree and your Master of Public Administration (MPA) in just five years.
- Save time: Earn your master’s degree in one year instead of two.
- Save money: Pay graduate tuition for only one year.
- Take advantage of the value: Binghamton oﬀers an Ivy-caliber education at a state university tuition.
- Strengthen your marketability: Graduate degrees hone job-related skills in communications, research methods, data analysis, teamwork and big-picture thinking — skills sought out by employers worldwide.
- Increase your earning potential: Salaries for people holding master’s degrees are on average $10,000 higher than for those with bachelor’s degrees.
The accelerated/4+1 Master of Public Administration (MPA) program allows you to take undergraduate classes for your first three years. In your fourth year, you combine bachelor- and master-level courses into your schedule and graduate with your bachelor’s degree. In your fifth year, you are admitted to the Graduate School and focus solely on the coursework to complete your master’s degree.
Undergraduate students pursuing the following majors at Binghamton University can apply to the accelerated MPA program:
- BS Human Development
- Any Harpur BA major (excluding fine arts majors)
Admissions process and timeline
It’s best to start thinking about applying to the accelerated MPA program early. You must inquire about pre-admission by your junior year so you can enroll in master’s classes your senior year.
- You must have completed a majority of your undergraduate major requirements and all or a majority of general education requirements
- You must have a minimum 3.5 GPA in your undergraduate major and a minimum 3.2 GPA overall, or a 3.5 GPA overall
- State your interest in the accelerated MPA program and meeting with Director of Admissions and Student Services (firstname.lastname@example.org)
After your meeting, you will be instructed to submit the documents below:
- Personal statement (2-3 double-spaced pages words stating your interests in the program and career goals)
- Current résumé
- A letter of recommendation from a University faculty member or instructor
Senior year (if accepted for pre-admission)
- You will be able to register for MPA courses during your first semester of your senior year
- During your senior year (88+ undergraduate credits), you must formally apply to the Graduate School and submit the online application and all required application materials, including any required letters of recommendation