Search Target

Proof of Enrollment/Degree Verification

Your insurance company, a scholarship program, loan company or other third party may require you to show proof of enrollment (also called enrollment verification).

Binghamton’s official enrollment verification is offered through the National Student Clearinghouse (NSC) one week prior to the start of each semester. Several updates will be made during the first month of the semester. Changes you make to your schedule (adding a course, dropping a course, etc.) will be reflected in these updates.

Note:  An Advanced Registration Certificate is also available for students pre-registered for a subsequent semester. 

How to obtain Proof of Enrollment online:

  • Login to BU BRAIN Self Service via the Portal at
  • Click on the BU BRAIN Self Service icon on left side of page.
  • Once in BU BRAIN Self Service, click on the "Student" tab.
  • Then select menu item, "Student Service Tools".
  • Click on "Proof of Enrollment (Clearinghouse)" to obtain proof of enrollment from the National Student Clearinghouse (NSC).
  • Login with User ID and password.
  • Once logged in, you will be taken to a secure NSC website.  
  • Now you can view your enrollment history and obtain your enrollment or an advanced registration certificate to print and mail to a health insurer or other third party that requested proof of enrollment.

If proof of enrollment letter is required:

Some companies may request a letter from the University in addition to the online proof of enrollment certificate. You may obtain an official letter verifying your enrollment upon accessing Proof of Enrollment via BU BRAIN Self Service. Simply click on the link provided in the section below the "Proof of Enrollment" menu item to display and print the letter. The letter must then be attached to the official proof of enrollment from the NSC.

Degree verification

Employers seeking to verify whether a student earned a degree at Binghamton University can obtain verification through the NSC Degree Verification Service. The cost for this service is $14.95.

If an employer is unable to locate a potential employee, the NSC will notify Financial Aid and Student Records, and the appropriate update/correction will be made to the NSC data.

Companies requesting a transcript must obtain the student’s signature and provide the signed release form to the office.

Last Updated: 5/2/18