Search Target

Residency Requirements and Eligibility

Housing Assignments

Students will be notified of their residence hall assignment in early summer. Housing is available for undergraduate and graduate students.


All students in the first-year class of the University, regardless of credit hours earned, are required to live in University housing for their first academic year unless permission to live off campus is received from the Office of Residential Life. Freshmen, however, are not allowed to live in the apartment communities. Local freshmen from Broome or Tioga counties may either live on campus or commute from home. Exceptions are made for married students and students who are 21 or over.

Transfer Students

Transfer students who wish to reside on campus may request to live in any of our five traditional and two apartment communities, or in one of our transfer-only floors in Hillside and College-in-the-Woods.

Graduate Students

Life on campus offers convenience, comfort and community — perfect for the busy graduate.

Housing contracts are currently for 10-months (including break periods) with the option to request additional summer housing. Check our calendar for move in and out dates.

You'll live in a 4- or 6-person apartment with fellow graduate students. Each apartment offers single, private bedrooms, and a shared kitchen, bath and other common areas. We do not currently offer a family housing option.

Each apartment has a fully furnished living room, a bedroom with an extra-long twin bed and a kitchen with stove, oven and refrigerator.

The room rate — billed in fall and spring installments to your student account — is all-inclusive of utilities (heat, water, trash removal) as well as building maintenance, lockout assistance, snow removal, Wi-Fi, cable and laundry.

You'll appreciate the close proximity of life on campus. There are several dining options to choose from, adjacent parking, on-campus mail service, access to local transit and free campus shuttles. Hillside also has great proximity to the Nature Preserve which provides 11 miles of walking trails and amazing scenic views.


Students from around the world live together on campus, and every effort is made to make everyone feel welcome. Additionally, the International Student and Scholar Services office is dedicated to assisting international students. Their staff can provide students with sound advice and friendly suggestions to help them settle into the campus community.

On-campus housing during break periods is only available to residents of Delaware Hall in Newing College, Windham Hall in Mountainview College, Mohawk Hall in College-in-the-Woods and the apartment communities (Susquehanna and Hillside).

Students with Prior Felony Convictions

State University of New York (SUNY) policy prohibits SUNY admission applications from inquiring into an applicant's prior criminal history. After acceptance, the University shall inquire if the student previously has been convicted of a felony if such individual seeks campus housing.

The information required to be disclosed under SUNY policy regarding such felony convictions shall be reviewed by a standing campus committee consistent with the legal standards articulated in New York State Corrections Law.

Students who have previously been convicted of a felony are advised that their prior criminal history may impede their ability to live in on-campus housing. Students who have concerns about this are advised to contact Residential Life.

Last Updated: 11/1/17