Search Target

Special Housing Options

Gender Inclusive Housing (GIH)

We recognize that same-sex room assignments are not ideal or appropriate for all students. Gender inclusive housing seeks to provide an environment that is welcoming to all gender identities and is not limited to the traditional gender binary (male and female). Students who sign up for these areas will be permitted to have roommates, flatmates and suite mates regardless of gender identity. We are able to offer a limited number of gender inclusive housing options in most of the communities.

Gender Inclusive Housing FAQ

Watch our Gender Inclusive Housing Options video:

Chemical-free Housing

College is a time when you are faced with many decisions. You are dealing with academic and career concerns, issues related to sexuality, and pressures to use alcohol and other drugs. Many times others are involved in influencing your decisions. Especially with regard to alcohol and other drugs, the pressure can be very strong. Some expect that alcohol, in particular, will be a part of college life. Binghamton is one of the many colleges and universities across the country that is now offering you the option of living in chemical-free housing.

Chemical-free housing is defined as a living environment where all residents and their guests agree to keep their living area free from substances at all times. Substances are defined to include alcohol; cigarettes, other tobacco products, and other smoking materials; and all illicit drugs. If you are interested in living in chemical-free housing, you should complete the Chemical-free Housing Application. Chemical-free Housing is offered in most communities except the Apartment Communities.

Break Housing

Break housing refers to halls that remain open during all break times in the academic year when traditional halls close. It is a desirable option for international students, students planning to take classes during winter session, athletes who have events during break and any student who lives too far to travel for a four-day closing (e.g. Thanksgiving). New students must indicate this request when they submit their housing preference form. Note that space in break housing is extremely limited and we may be unable to accommodate all requests for this option.

Communities and buildings with break housing

  • Mohawk Hall, College-in-the-Woods
  • Windham Hall, Mountainview
  • Delaware Hall, Newing
  • Apartment communities, Hillside and Susquehanna

New students who will require break housing should be sure to indicate their preference when they request housing. Please note that break housing is extremely limited and that we may be unable to accommodate all requests for this option. Students not assigned to break housing but who plan to stay in the area during break periods will need to make arrangements for off-campus accommodation

Quiet Living

Quiet living lifestyle residents agree to a quiet environment conducive to
sleep and study. Quiet Living Housing options are available within Hinman, and the Apartments.

Transfer Housing

While transfer students are welcome to live in any of our communities, we do offer the opportunity to live with fellow transfer students in College-in-the-Woods' Cayuga Hall and the Apartments.

Last Updated: 10/16/17