Spring 2021 Living On Campus Guide

Coming soon: Fall 2021 Living On-campus Guide

Check back soon for our updated Living On-Campus Guide for the upcoming fall 2021 semester!

Things will look a little different as we reconfigure our normal spaces and revise our procedures and activities to create the safest possible environment for our community this spring. We will continue to plan social and learning opportunities that help our residents connect while maintaining guidelines. Here’s what you can expect:

  • Social opportunities and BConnected

    Our primary goal continues to be to assist residents in building community. We will do that by connecting you with your neighbors (floor, hall, building, community), networking with our partners (Fleishman Center for Career and Professional Development, Student Support Services, Center for Civic Engagement) and introducing you to all the incredible resources available across campus.

    You can expect to be contacted by your Resident Assistant (RA) throughout the semester for a one-on-one talk, also known as B-Chats. This will allow your RA to get to know you, help you adjust to campus and answer initial questions you may have. Meetings will take place in person whenever possible while maintaining social distancing guidelines.

    Your RA will be an important resource to let you know about student government and residential learning opportunities as well as upcoming community and campus events. Check out all our BWelcome events here.

    Learn more about how we promote a sense of community and belonging with BConnected here.

  • Gathering spaces

    There will be spaces throughout all our communities for you to get together. You must follow social distancing guidelines. “Social distancing” is defined as keeping a safe space (6 feet, which is about 2 arms’ lengths) between yourself and others in both indoor and outdoor spaces. Furniture will be reduced in communal areas and maximum occupancy numbers will be posted. Residents in our communities can gather with friends in the following places:

    Outdoor gathering spaces

    • Dickinson Quad (large outdoor space in the middle of Dickinson Community)
    • Mountainview Quad (outdoor space in the middle of Mountainview Community)

    Outdoor recreation spaces

    • There will be hammocks in each community as weather permits.
    • Tennis courts are available for residents’ use. Basketball and volleyball courts are not available for use.
    • The Nature Preserve is a great place to meet and walk. Masks are not required as long as you remain 6 feet apart.
    • Ice skating rink (near Old Digman, Dickinson Community Co-Rec Field across from C-4)
    • Meditation labyrinth outside Old Digman

    Indoor social spaces within our communities

    Building lounges: each residential building has lounges that are only available for residents in that building and will be available for a limited number of people at any given time.

    • Mountainview: Appalachian (AP-111)
    • Hinman: Rockefeller Success Center (NAR-104)
    • C4: first floor
    • CIW: Mohawk Great Room (MO)
    • CIW Commons (IR-G26), above CIW Dining Hall
    • Hillside Commons (CM): Recreation equipment (pool, ping pong and mini Pac-man game will be available). Students will need to use their own products to sanitize equipment before and after use.
    • Susquehanna Coffee House will be open but will not have food/drinks available.

    Studying spaces/computer pods

    • Hinman Success Center (NAR-104)
    • Mountainview (AP-111)
    • C4 Student Success Center (C4-101)
    • CIW Library (IR), 2nd floor, down the hall from CIW Dining Hall
    •  Brandywine (BY-108)
    •  Hillside Commons Student Success Center (CM)

    In-suite common spaces

    Flats, suites and apartments are considered a "unit." We do not expect residents within their own room or unit to socially distance. Visitors and guests from outside your building are prohibited. See “Visitors and guests” below for policy on this.
  • Kitchens

    For CIW, Dickinson, Hinman, Mountainview and Newing Communities, kitchens are available on the first floor of every building for residents to use. They contain a full refrigerator and stove. Residents should bring their own utensils, pots and pans and are responsible for cleaning them. Residents are responsible for sanitizing any common space used before they leave. Social distancing guidelines apply if multiple students are using the kitchen.

    In the Apartments Community (Hillside and Susquehanna) every apartment has a full kitchen for the residents within it to use. There is a full-sized refrigerator and stove. Residents should plan to bring or rent a microwave if that is something they would like to use. Residents should also bring their own utensils, pots and pans and are responsible for cleaning them.

  • Bathrooms

    Suite and Flat Bathrooms

    In-suite and in-flat bathrooms are cleaned weekly and supplied with toilet paper.

    Newing bathrooms

    Newing's bathrooms are clustered, single-use, and gender-inclusive. "Clustered" means that your bathroom is restricted access to the three rooms closest to it (six to nine people share access to one bathroom). One of these bathrooms contains the shower, the other has a toilet and both have a sink. Newing bathrooms are cleaned weekly and supplied with toilet paper. If those bathrooms are in use, there are public bathrooms on each floor (which are cleaned daily and supplied with toilet paper).

    Hillside and Susquehanna bathrooms

    Apartment bathrooms will need to be cleaned by residents who should bring their own toilet paper, soap and cleaning supplies.

    CIW Bathrooms

    Renovated CIW buildings (Cayuga, Seneca, Onondaga) have unassigned single-occupancy corridor bathrooms accessible to anyone. These bathrooms are cleaned daily and supplied with toilet paper. Residents should only use the bathrooms on their wing, not on other wings or floors of the building.

    Oneida has multiple-occupancy bathrooms accessible to anyone (by gender). These bathrooms are cleaned daily and supplied with toilet paper. Residents should only use the appropriate gender bathroom on their wing. Social distancing guidelines apply.

    Public bathrooms

    Public bathrooms in residential buildings are cleaned daily and supplied with toilet paper. Social distancing guidelines apply.

  • Laundry

    Each residence hall has a laundry facility located in the basement or on the first floor. The Hillside and Susquehanna buildings also have laundry rooms in each building. Laundry is free but you must supply your own laundry detergent. Social distancing guidelines apply and you are encouraged to pick up your laundry promptly so other residents can use the machines. You can check washer/dryer availability here. Additional tips and guides on how to use our laundry facilities are here.

    Laundry services will not be available if students go into quarantine/isolation housing so it is the student's responsibility to keep their laundry clean.

  • Visitors and guests
    Residents have access to their own building and room/suite/flat/apartment. No other visitors or guests are permitted within the building and students are not allowed to visit other residence halls other than where they live. Students may have residents from their own buildings visit them if they adhere to occupancy rates of double the amount of people (i.e., if it's a double room, they can have a total of four persons in the room). Gatherings of over 10 people are not permitted. Social distancing guidelines apply for groups.
  • Security


    All University gates will be opened at 6 a.m. and closed at 9:30 p.m. seven days a week except for residential students, staff and faculty. Deliveries will be permitted after the gates are closed, but those making deliveries are not permitted to enter the building.

    Buildings/rooms access

    Residents have access to their own building and room via key or key cards. Residents are not permitted in residence halls where they do not reside.

  • Room changes
    The room change process is temporarily closed. Residents will need to work through roommate conflicts and are encouraged to follow the steps here. You may also work with staff to help guide you.
  • Staff duties

    All Residential Life staff are available to talk with students who: need help navigating a difficult interpersonal situation (e.g. roommate conflict), are feeling homesick, or generally want to find out about resources on Binghamton University's campus.

    RAs (Resident Assistants)

    RAs live in the same building and usually on the same floor as their residents and are easily accessible. There are RAs on duty every night to offer assistance and to respond to emergencies. On call hours will be posted on the door of the RA office, which is usually on the first floor of every building.

    ACs (Area Coordinators), ARCs (Area Residential Coordinators), RDs (Resident Directors)

    Our live-in staff are a combination of full-time professionals and part-time graduate student staff and are here to assist the students in their building(s). They also oversee the general happenings of the building and supervise RAs.

    ADs (Assistant Directors)

    Assistant Directors are experienced Residential Life professionals who have oversight of two residential areas on campus. ADs oversee the staff within the area and provide guidance to keep areas running smoothly. ADs work closely with CPs to connect with students and assist with CP initiatives. Additionally, ADs have direct contact with residents and RAs to maintain a sense of community and develop an understanding of student concerns and successes within the area.

    CPs (Collegiate Professors)

    Collegiate Professors are tenured Binghamton University faculty. They work with one residential area and offer the bridge for residential students to academic life. CPs have a unique academic focus and vision for their area and work closely with staff and students to implement. CPs are a great resource for residential students to reach out to when they are: having a difficult time in class, need help connecting with a faculty member, or just want to discuss their academic and professional goals.

    Find professional staff contact information here.

    Residential Life MSW Interns

    We have a group of interns from the University's Master of Social Work (MSW) program, available in every community. They can talk to students, help them adapt to life on campus and connect them to resources. Find their contact information here.

  • Submitting work orders
    Students may submit orders to fix physical issues in their spaces. To submit a work order, go here. Only work orders critical to the services of the building and space will be addressed (e.g., heat, water, electrical issues, broken furniture that is unusable, inoperable plumbing, windows/doors that do not open or close). If you submit a work order for a non-emergency, you must be available to meet staff or provide permission for them to enter your room when you are not present. If you are present, you are expected to wait outside your room until the work is completed. Non-critical or cosmetic work orders will be postponed until the building is vacant.
  • Facilities emergencies
    For facilities emergencies (e.g., leaks, exposed wires, broken glass, outages), call Physical Facilities Customer Service immediately at 607-777-2226. If the situation is a severe hazard, call University Police at 607-777-2222. Additionally, call Residential Life at 607-777-2322 or email reslife@binghamton.edu to make us aware of the issue.
  •  Bunking/un-bunking beds
    There is no super-occupied housing this year. Rooms should comfortably support all occupants without bunk beds. In order to reduce exposure between facilities staff and students, we will not be creating bunk beds or un-bunking existing beds. If there is an accommodation or adjustment you need to access your bed, contact Services for Students with Disabilities.
  • Lock outs
    If you are locked out of your space or have lost your keys, contact a Residential Life staff member for assistance. Our staff will require that you maintain a safe social distance and wear a mask or face covering while they are assisting you. Lost, stolen or damaged keys or access cards must be reported immediately and will necessitate the replacement of the lock(s), key(s) or access card, which will be charged to the resident.
  • Health

    See Restarting Binghamton FAQs

    Face mask/face coverings

    Students must cover their noses and mouths with a mask or face covering when in public spaces in the residence halls including but not limited to hallways, kitchens, lounges, laundry rooms and elevators.


    Binghamton University has reserved three residential halls for on-campus students who are in need of quarantine/isolation housing and wish to remain on-campus. These buildings maintain separation between students in quarantine versus students in isolation.


    If your roommate or suitemate is moved to Quarantine/Isolation housing, you should clean your space. Examples of frequently touched surfaces and objects that will need disinfection: tables, doorknobs, light switches, countertops, handles, desks, phones, keyboards, toilets, faucets and sinks, microwave handles/buttons, fridge door, window latches and cranks.

  • Support and counseling

    Residential Life staff and our MSW interns are available to talk and help you find resources. You can also take advantage of other resources outlined in the Health section of the Restarting Binghamton FAQs.

    DEEP (Diversity Empowerment Education Program) — the mission of this program is to promote student engagement through a social justice lens in the residence halls. Interns lead groups and programs on topics such as stigma and cultural mistrust, racial healing and dialogue, microaggressions and race-based stress and allyship.

    The CARE Team and University Counseling Center can also help, advocate, consult and connect you to resources.

  • Residential Dining

    Residential Life has three dining halls currently in operation — C4, CIW and Mountainview. All on-campus students are required to purchase a meal plan that will be activated as soon as you arrive on campus. Residents can eat in any dining hall as well as the MarketPlace. Find FAQs about how dining halls will operate here. Find opening dates and hours for residential dining halls here.

  • Rights, responsibilities and compliance

    All on-campus students have signed the housing licensehousing license addendum before arriving on campus and will have agreed to the rights and responsibilities document. On-campus students who fail to comply with the responsibilities noted in these documents and/or in University policies adopted as a result of COVID-19 may be administratively removed from University housing. Such action will ordinarily be taken only after prior warning; however, the University reserves the right to remove a student from housing on the basis of a single substantial and intentional violation of the COVID-19 related safety measures. Students administratively removed from housing will not be considered in good standing as pertains to eligibility for credits or refunds and will be financially liable for their housing and meal plan, subject to meal plan policy, for the entire academic year.

  • Campus map