Resident Directors Professional Development
The Resident Directors participate in a comprehensive training program at the start of each semester. Additionally, staff receive on-going training throughout the academic year focusing on the Professional Competency Areas for Student Affairs Educators as identified by ACPA and NASPA.
Each Resident Director serves on a departmental committee. Our committees include: RA Selection, RA Training, RD Search, and Residential Life Training. Returning staff members may have the opportunity to serve as a chair of their committee.
Once RDs have acclimated to the department and University, they may consider some additional opportunities such as instructing a 2-credit First-Year or Senior-Year Experience course, being trained to adjudicate higher level policy violations and/or serving as a student conduct hearing board chair.
Below is a listing of links to get involved with professional organizations locally and regionally. Conferences attended by staff include: ACPA, ACUHO-I, CSPA, NACA, NACADA, NASPA, NCORE, NEACUHO (Annual, Diversity Retreat, Drive-In, LGBT & Friends Retreat, Mid-Levels Professional, New Professional, Operations, Professionals of Color & Allies Retreat and Women's Winter Renewal), NODA, RELI and SJTI.
- American College Personnel Association
- Association of College and University Officers-International
- College Student Personnel Association
- National Conference on Race & Ethnicity in American Higher Education
- North Eastern Association of College and Campus University Housing Officers
- National Academic Advising Association
- National Orientation Directors Association
- National Association for Campus Activities
- National Association of Student Personnel Administrators
- Regional Entry Level Institute
- Social Justice Training Institute
- Southern Tier Young Professionals