Frequently asked questions

Updated at 8:30 a.m. Friday, April 16, 2021

Frequently asked questions

These questions and answers have been developed to respond to feedback on Binghamton University's draft Restarting Binghamton Plan. This is a fluid process and the answers to the questions may change between now and the beginning of the fall semester. We will continue to update, and time stamp, this page as new information becomes available and new questions arise, and deliver our Restarting Plan once it has been approved by SUNY and the governor.

Search for terms within our FAQ page. Enter a search term, hit search and responses will open and be highlighted. Scroll down to find the highlighted sections.


Vaccines and vaccinations



  • What is living in a campus residence hall like?

    Residential life has put together a guide to living on campus that explains what students can expect when living in a residence hall. The guide, which covers social opportunities and gatherings, kitchen and laundry use, bathrooms, lock outs, security and much more, can be found on the Res Life website

  • What is the Statement of Rights and Responsibilities? (Updated Jan. 12, 2021)

    Binghamton University has put in place special operating policies and procedures to comply with new public health standards and guidelines related to COVID-19. The University’s primary focus in these policies is to protect the health and safety of students, faculty and staff while pursuing the educational mission of the University. In keeping with our responsibility to all members of the campus community and all of the Binghamton area, we must take all reasonable measures to promote compliance with these policies. We are therefore requiring all of our students to acknowledge their responsibilities to comply with our COVID-19 related operating policies.

    All students receive a document titled “COVID-19 Campus Re-Opening Spring 2021 Student Acknowledgement of Rights and Responsibilities” in conjunction with their Confirmation of Enrollment. The Rights and Responsibilities document summarizes COVID-19 related operating policies, explains what students can expect of us, requires students to acknowledge their rights and responsibilities related to COVID-19, and informs students of the possible consequences of non-compliance.

    Both the Rights and Responsibilities document and the Confirmation of Enrollment are to be acknowledged by students on or before Feb. 17, 2021, as a condition of maintaining their course registration.

    Additionally, information can be found in the Spring 2021 University Housing License Addendum for students who plan to reside in campus housing.  

  • If I stayed home for the fall semester will I be able to get housing in the spring?

    In order to be eligible for spring 2021 housing, students who do not currently live on campus must register to participate in the housing sign-up process as outlined in the Housing Information section of the Residentail Life webpages. The registration process concluded Sunday, Jan. 10.

    Note that submission of a spring housing application does not guarantee the availability of on-campus housing.

    Also note that students who select a room during room selection are committed to on-campus housing for the entire spring semester. Cancellations are not permitted once you select a room.

  • Who cleans the bathrooms and how frequently? Who provides the toilet paper? How are shared suite/flat bathrooms being handled?

    Cleaning in the residence halls is performed in accordance with applicable CDC and NYS Department of Health guidelines, including the use of a disinfectant that is DEC- and EPA-registered for use against SARS-CoV-2. Public, group and shared-floor bathrooms (non-limited access) are cleaned daily and toilet paper is provided. Suite-, flat- and corridor-shared (limited access) bathrooms are cleaned weekly and toilet paper is provided. RA or single bathrooms are cleaned weekly and toilet paper is provided. Apartment bathrooms are not serviced by Physical Facilities; residents are responsible for cleaning and providing their own toilet paper.

  • How is social distancing and other guidelines be managed and monitored in residence halls?

    Staff in the residence halls monitor the buildings for all purposes. Students have acknowledged via their housing license addendum that if they do not comply with safety guidelines, they can be removed from housing. Ordinarily, removal from housing would occur after a warning and repeated behavior, but in the current environment, the University has reserved the right to remove students who are responsible for an intentional and significant violation following the first incident.

  • What if parents or others want to visit a student on campus?

    The University is not permitting visitors inside residence halls and we are actively discouraging non-essential campus entries/visits. While the campus is not closed to external traffic, we ask that you respect our intent to limit non-essential traffic and visit students electronically.


Student course options/academic testing

  • How do I understand what I’m seeing in the schedule of classes?
  • I’ve heard about Bingflex and Hybrid. What’s the difference between these and which one are we using?

    Binghamton is actually using both models, which are explained here:

    Bingflex is the term we’re using to describe the way many of our courses will be taught this spring; some students will be in the classroom and others will participate simultaneously online. All courses with the Student Rotation model will be Bingflex. Courses in the A/B model or weekly model will be Bingflex if students designated as Remote Learners are registered for the course.

    For all courses that have an in-person section and a simultaneous online section, we will be using the Bingflex model.

    Hybrid is a course that requires some in-person attendance and some online attendance. All courses in the SRM model and the A/B model are hybrid because they meet in person some days/weeks and online for other days/weeks.

    Note: A/B alternating week courses will use the Bingflex model for the weeks when they’re in the classroom if one or more students registered for the course is designated as a Remote Learner or if a student gets ill/quarantined during the semester.

  • I’m enrolled in an in-person section of a course that has a Bingflex online section. Can I just participate online when I feel like it?
    • No. If you are not designated as a Remote Learner, instructors expect you to be in class as scheduled and regular attendance policies will apply. 
    • If you get sick or are asked to go into temporary quarantine or isolation, you will temporarily participate online while you are unable to attend in person. Inform your instructor and follow carefully any University health instructions that you are given.
  • If I have a class in the Student Rotation model, can I attend class on a different day than the one I am scheduled?

    No. You can only attend the in-person class on the day listed in your schedule in BU BRAIN because section sizes and room capacity are carefully matched.

    Check your “Week at a Glance” schedule feature in to see the days that you need to attend in person. Note that some classes, generally those in specialized departmental spaces, may be listed as SRM, but don’t have the sections divided up into specific in-class days. Your instructor will let you know which days you will need to attend.

  • Currently, I’m registered for at least one course that has an in-person component but I’d like to choose to be fully online. Can I do that?  

    Yes, you can be fully online, but there are a few things to consider:

    • Some courses, including some lab courses, activity sections or performance courses, require in-person attendance. These courses are designated as IPO-In Person Only or IPR-In Person Restricted on the Schedule of Classes in BU BRAIN. If you want to be fully online, you’ll need to take these courses at a later date and/or time.
    • All other courses can be taken fully online.
    • To switch to fully online, submit the Remote-Learner Petition, available in BU BRAIN. You will need to include any change in circumstances that are prompting the request after the Sept. 8 deadline. Your request will be reviewed by the dean's office and, if approved, your instructors will be notified of your change to remote learner status.
  • What are my attendance options?

    Students can choose to attend all of their classes remoting by selecting the Remote Learner designation. Important notes about this designation:

    • Students who have chosen remote learning but live on campus are required to take in-person tests if they are scheduled by the instructor.
    • It is important for Remote Learners to review the schedule of classes for course restrictions. Some courses to not allow Remote Learners and other courses allow only Remote Learners.
      • In-Person Only and In-Person Restricted courses are not available to Remote Learners.
      • Restricted Online courses are available only to Remote Learners.
    • Remote Learners can register for any courses that are not designated as In Person Only or In Person Restricted. The courses that have an in-person component will be offered in the BingFlex mode.
    • Your instructor will be notified of your Remote Learner status in My Courses.


    Students can choose the in-person/hybrid model with a combination of In Person, BingFlex and Online courses. Students who choose In Person Hybrid do not need to take any action. Students should familiarize themselves with the course modalities and the schedule of classes to determine when they will attend in person and when course participation will be remote.

  • Do I need to be designated a Remote Learner if all my classes are online?

    No, you don't. If you don't have the Remote Learner designation, you're able to choose freely from all the course modalities available. You might initially have all online courses but you could choose to attend an in-person course if you change your class schedule before the add/drop deadline. The Remote Learner designation means that you cannot attend courses in person or sign up for In Person Only (IPO) or In Person Restricted (IPR) courses.

  • I would like to register for two courses that are scheduled online and two others that are scheduled in person. Can I choose to take one of the courses in person, but not the other?

    No. You can request to be fully online for all your courses, but not for individual courses.

  • I would like to register for a course that is listed as In Person Only or In Person Restricted, but I have concerns about being on campus this spring. What should I do?
    • If you are not a graduating senior, you may want to discuss this with your departmental advisor or the director of undergraduate studies in your major department. You can request to be fully online by completing the petition form available online. You will be contacted with information about changing your schedule. For In Person Only classes, you will have a chance to take the course at a later date. For In Person Restricted Courses, review the schedule of classes to see if there is an online section available for the course.
    • If you are a graduating senior and the course is required for graduation, contact your departmental advisor or the director of undergraduate studies in your major department for assistance.
  • I saw that some online courses will have in-person tests. Will I be required to take in-person tests if all my courses are online?

    It depends on your schedule and where you live.

    • Students who are taking all their courses online and living off campus WILL NOT be required to take in-person tests and exams. Faculty will make other arrangements for academic assessments for these students; these assessments may not be identical to the in-person tests.
    • Students who are taking all their classes online and living on campus WILL need to take in-person tests if instructors schedule them.
    • Students who have some courses in person and some courses online WILL need to take in-person tests if instructors schedule them, regardless of where they live.
  • On the schedule, there is one version of a course offered in person and another version of the same course offered fully online. Can I choose which one I want to take or must I take the in-person version?
    • That depends. Some online versions of courses are available only to students who are Remote Learners. These are designated as "ROL-Restricted Online Only." If a course has that designation, only students who are designated as Remote Learners can take that version. If that designation is not on the course, anyone who meets the registration and prerequisite requirements can take the course online. The example below shows a course where the online version is restricted to fully online students.

      schedule of classes with date and location highlighted

    • If the course has an in-person and a fully online version that is not designated as "Restricted Online Only," you can choose the version that fits your schedule and preference, as long as you meet the other registration requirements and prerequisites. The example below shows a course where there are in-person and online versions available and there is no restriction for fully online students.

      schedule of classes with date and location highlighted

  • Is it possible that the Schedule of Classes will change again?

    Yes. We may need to make further changes based on health and safety concerns or government directives.

  • When can I register for classes?
    • For transfer students and incoming first-year students, initial course selections will be made at the time of their advising appointment. Further adjustment can be made during advance registration in January or during the add/drop period.
    • For continuing students, registration will take place according to their Registration Time Tickets, which will be viewable in BU BRAIN beginning Monday, Dec. 21. Students can make changes to their schedule during advance registration in January or the add/drop period.
  • Can I still take in-person tests if my instructor schedules them even if I’m fully online and not living on campus?

    Once the semester begins, contact your instructor to inquire.

  • What happens if I change my mind about living on campus after classes begin?
    • For questions about your Housing License and the Housing License Addendum, check out the Housing section of these FAQs.
    • For questions about your courses:
      • Students can make changes to their schedule during the add/drop period as usual.
      • Students registered for one or more courses with an in-person meeting pattern who wish to change to fully online should complete the petition form available online.
      • Students who wish to drop classes or withdraw from the University at any time will follow regular University procedures.
  • What about students who do not have sufficiently powered devices to accommodate online learning?

    The Center for Learning and Teaching (CLT) has created an Equipment Request Form for students to request a laptop, Wi-Fi HotSpot or other electronic equipment. All efforts will be made to expedite requests; however, due to high demand, the CLT cannot guarantee the fulfillment of your request. 

Faculty course information/academic testing

  • Why is the Schedule of Classes so complicated: Online, A/B Alternating Weeks, Student Rotation?

    The biggest factor is the need to reduce density in classrooms. When we calculated classroom capacity with 6-foot spacing between individuals, we were left with only about 45 of our general purpose classrooms able to hold 20 or more students. Only 20 classrooms can hold more than 30 students, and only six can hold more than 40 students. The schedule was developed to give as many courses as possible a chance for in-person instruction within those space constraints. 

    Faculty indicated their strong preference for in-person courses. Students said the same thing and told us that having in-person courses and activities was a big part of their decision to come back this semester.

    The Student and Exchange Visitor Program (SEVP) has indicated that their guidance for international students from the fall 2020 semester is still in place until further notice. This means that continuing students who were in valid F-1 status as of March 9, 2020, may maintain status by taking all of their classes online if that is most appropriate for their circumstances. Students whose F-1 status started after March 9, 2020 must enroll in at least one hybrid or in-person course that counts toward their full-time requirements.

    Further detail (and a potentially helpful flow-chart) can be found on the ISSS FAQ page, and also in the International Student Section of the Restarting Binghamton FAQ.

    Using the A/B model gives twice as many courses a chance for an in-person presence and using the Student Rotation model allows some of our larger courses a chance for in-person instruction. 

  • How do I understand what I’m seeing in the schedule of classes?
  • My class or section is scheduled with in-person class meetings. Can I switch it to fully online?

    Contact your department chair and/or administrative staff to request a change to the schedule of classes. Once registration begins in January, additional approvals my be required. 

  • I’m teaching an online course. Can I give an in-person test ? How should I plan my syllabus and class schedule for this?

    Yes, but students who have no in-person courses AND who do not live on campus will not be required to take in-person tests. Faculty will need to provide alternative academic assessments for these students.

    Space will be available in the West Gym and the Events Center for this purpose during the following weeks:

    • March 8-12
    • March 29-31
    • April 19-23, excluding Rejuvenation Day, April 20
    • Requests for in-person testing for the three weeks when classes are in session can be made starting Jan. 4 in the B There room scheduling system.
    • Requests must be made at least a week and a half before the start of the exam week: Feb. 24 for the week of March 8-12; March 17 for the week of March 29-31; and April 7 for the week of April 19-23.
  • My course has an in-person component but not all students are present at the same time. Can I request to use the large-capacity testing spaces for my course?

    Yes. You can, but students who are Remote Learners AND who do not live on campus will not be required to take in-person tests. Faculty will need to provide alternative academic assessments for these students.

  • I am teaching an In Person Only (IPO) or In Person Restricted (IPR) class and one or more of my students is in quarantine or ill. How do I accommodate these students during the time they cannot attend in person? (New Feb. 16, 2021)

    How you do this is up to you; not unlike dealing with a longer-term absence during normal times. If you have students in quarantine and would like to request a Course Technology Assistant (CTA) for a couple of weeks to broadcast the class on zoom, write to

  • How do I request space for in-person testing?
    • Requests for in-person testing for the three weeks when classes are in session, March 8-12, March 29-31 and April 1923, excluding April 20, can be made starting Jan. 4 in the B There room scheduling system.
    • Requests must be made at least a week and a half before the start of the exam week: Feb. 24 for the week of March 8-12; March 17 for the week of March 2931; and April 7 for the week of April 19-23.
  • Will all students in my course be required to take in-person tests/exams if my course has them?

    It depends on the student’s schedule and where they live.

    • Students who are taking all their courses online and living off-campus WILL NOT be required to take in-person tests and exams. Faculty should make other arrangements for academic assessments for these students; these assessments need not be identical to the in-person tests.
    • Students who are taking all their classes online and living on campus WILL need to take in-person tests if instructors schedule them.
    • Students who have some courses in-person and some courses online WILL need to take in-person tests if instructors schedule them, regardless of where they live.
  • How will I know which students are required to take in-person tests and exams if my course has them?

    After the add/drop deadline, you will receive a list for your course indicating which students are required to take in-person tests/exams.

  • How do I inform students that I will be giving in-person tests for my online course?
    • Add this information to your syllabus so that students can plan accordingly. If you are teaching one of the few courses that typically gives evening tests to consolidate sections, include the test times in the syllabus as well.
    • For all courses requesting space for tests/exams, make sure to request space in B There and have confirmation before you include dates in your syllabus.
    • Requests for tests/exams can be made in B There starting Jan. 4.
  • What times can I select for my in-person tests?
    • Tests should be scheduled for your regular class period. Courses with multiple sections sometimes request evening time slots for tests and can use this option; students with conflicts will need to be accommodated.
    • Tests in the West Gym and Events Center must follow standard meet patterns during prime-time hours. Evening options will also be available. Requests for tests/exams can be made in B There  starting Jan. 4.
    • Final exams will be May 19-26 and will follow the regular process for scheduling by the Course Building and Academic Space Management Office. May 19-21 will be available for in-person or online exams and May 24-26 will be available only for online exams.
  • How will final exams be scheduled?  
    • Final exams will be scheduled May 19-26, with May 12-21 available for in-person or online exams and May 24-26 available only for online exams.
    • The Course Building and Academic Space Management Office will coordinate with academic departments on courses needing final exams during these dates.
    • Exam times will be posted to the final exam website.
    • Additional details can be found on the Course Building and Academic Space Management website.
  • Do tests for my online course need to be in-person or can they be online?

    You decide. Shorter, more frequent academic assessments are another approach to consider.

  • My course is scheduled on the A/B alternating week model. How should I plan my course?

    You’ll have a chance to be in person for half the weeks in the semester, so you might want to consider which parts of your course work best in person and plan for those weeks. Since there’s always a chance that we’ll need to go fully online again sometime during the semester, consider planning for the most important in-person activities to be early in the semester if that makes sense for your course. Staff in the Center for Learning and Teaching (CLT) will help you assess your course materials to see how to adapt things effectively for online delivery. Workshops and assistance are available along with recordings of past events. For more information: and you can email the CLT at

  • I’ve heard about Bingflex and hybrid. What’s the difference between these and which one are we using?

    Binghamton is actually using both models, which are explained here:

    Bingflex is the term we’re using to describe the way many of our courses will be taught this spring; some students will be in the classroom and others will participate simultaneously online. All courses with the Student Rotation model will be Bingflex. Courses in the A/B model or weekly model will be Bingflex if students designated as Remote Learners are registered for the course.

    For all courses that have an in-person section and a simultaneous online section, we will be using the Bingflex model.

    Hybrid is a course that requires some in-person attendance and some online attendance. All courses in the SRM model and the A/B model are hybrid because they meet in person some days/weeks and online for other days/weeks.

    Note: A/B alternating week courses will use the Bingflex model for the weeks when they’re in the classroom if one or more students registered for the course is designated as a Remote Learner or if a student gets ill/quarantined during the semester.

  • I have an A/B alternating week course. Will all of my students be in the classroom for the in-person weeks?

    Perhaps. If one or more students choose to be fully online for the semester or if one or more students is quarantined or ill, then not all students will be in the classroom and the course will be taught with the Bingflex model.

    If your class is designated as In Person Only (IPO) or In Person Restricted (IPR), all students will be in the classroom when the class is scheduled. The only exception would be if one or more students is quarantined or ill, then the course would be taught with the Bingflex model during that time.

  • How can I teach a Bingflex course effectively?

    The most important thing will be to remember that you have some students in the room with you and others participating online. Discussions, small group breakouts and other parts of your class time can be adapted to create an effective learning experience for both groups of students. A classroom technology assistant (CTA) will be available to manage the technical side of things for you, so you won’t have to focus on that. The Center for Learning and Teaching is holding workshops and meeting with instructors all summer to help faculty develop effective Bingflex courses and teaching strategies. The key idea is to be intentional about learning activities for both your in-class students as well as those who are online. For more information: and you can email the CLT at

  • Can someone help me coordinate the online part of my Bingflex course? Trying to manage the online part while teaching could be a challenge.

    Yes. A trained classroom technology assistant (CTA) will be assigned to your Bingflex course if you request one or if you are assigned one by your department. A CTA can be assigned to you at any point during the semester and for only a defined period of time, such as when accommodating students who are quarantined or ill.

    The CTA will set up the online session, make sure that your online students can see and hear, help share any presentations, monitor chat responses, set up breakout rooms and so forth. CTAs are not teaching assistants. They will not take attendance, hand out assignments or participate in classroom management. They help manage the technology for the online section so you can focus on teaching. Visit the CLT webpage: or email for assistance.

  • Will any academic policies be modified for the spring 2021 semester?

    No. Our standard academic policies will be enforced, including our pass/fail and satisfactory/unsatisfactory policies as well as the course withdrawal and grade change option deadlines. (The course withdrawal deadline has been moved to the last day of classes.) Specific guidance for implementation may be modified in some cases (e.g., hearings for academic honesty cases).

  • What are the expectations for physical distancing and wearing a face covering for in-person classes?

    All participants in the instructional space (students, teaching or course technology assistants, instructors) are required to wear face coverings and maintain 6-foot spacing between people. Face coverings should fully cover the nose and mouth.

  • Will students know what the expectations are for wearing face coverings? What are the consequences for refusing to wear a face covering or not wearing it in the required manner?
    • All students (on-campus residents as well as off-campus residents) will need to accept a statement that outlines expectations for compliance with wearing face coverings and other public health and safety requirements.
    • Occasionally a student may forget to bring a face covering or lose it on the way to class; instructors can ask the student to leave the room and return when they’ve secured a face covering.
    • Refusal to wear a face covering in a classroom or instructional space is a health risk that inhibits or prevents safe course participation for the instructor and other students. In addition to campus-level consequences, instructors can implement course-level consequences for noncompliance.
    • Suggested language for inclusion in course syllabi will be made available to instructors to help address issues such as compliance and potential course-level consequences that could include lowering the student’s grade or removal from the course.
  • Is there anything new that I should include in my course syllabus for spring 2021?
    • If you are teaching an online course and giving in-person tests, indicate this on the syllabus.
    • If you have an in-person course with students attending remotely because they are fully online, your learning objectives should be identical for all students. Your assignments or academic assessments should be comparable/equivalent for all students, but these assignments/assessments need not be identical. If there are differences, your syllabus should indicate the expectations for each section/delivery mode.
    • If your class has in-person meeting times, indicate whether there will be course-level consequences (e.g. lowered grades) for:
      • refusal to wear a face covering properly
      • ignoring the seating guidelines for 6-foot spacing between people
      • not following the designated calendar to be in person for Student Rotation or A/B alternating week models
      • (sample statements and text will be provided)
  • If courses with an in-person presence need to switch to fully remote delivery at some point in the semester, may I change my syllabus?

    Yes, with some conditions:

    • You can’t retroactively re-weight assignments for the course to give them a bigger or smaller impact on the overall course grade. 
    • If you choose to change future assignments or testing requirements, you should inform students within three days of the shift to remote instruction and the overall requirements should be comparable to those originally in the syllabus.
    • Assessment should continue to be aligned with the course learning outcomes after a shift to remote instruction, just as it was while the course met in person.

Teaching/academic calendar/technology (this entire section was updated Dec. 16, 2020)

  • I don’t learn well in an online environment. Why should I return if all or most of my classes will be virtual?

    We are offering much more than just courses on campus this spring, so your experience will include a variety of extracurricular activities on campus beyond your academics. And for many students, taking courses online and away from their peers is more challenging than being in an environment among other students who are also taking online courses. For in-person classes, we have purchased additional technology and are providing course assistants to assist faculty who are teaching in a Binglex format that will allow students to take a course in person or synchronously online. We have the infrastructure and support system in place to help you establish the discipline and skills to succeed.

  • Will all classes be live-streamed or recorded for students to take them online if they so choose?

    Most of our classes will be available online to students who do not wish to return to campus. Some classes, however, cannot be offered online and will only be in person. The schedule of classes is now available and indicates the format of the course.

  • Will all exams have to be in person?

    Some courses that are taught online will have in-person tests and exams and some will have online tests. Students who do not return to Binghamton and enroll in exclusively online classes will not have to come to campus to take exams. However, instructors have the option to administer different exams to students taking them remotely or to employ proctoring services such as ProctorU to ensure academic integrity.

  • How will exams be handled when classes have both in-person and online participants?

    We have some students who are taking a class online who are physically living on campus or locally. They will take exams in person, either at the Events Center or West Gym. Students who are taking classes online and are not living in the greater Binghamton community will take their exams online. Depending on the instructor's decision, these exams may be different than those given to students in person and they may require use of a proctoring software like ProctorU to ensure academic honesty for students taking the class online. The exams may be different from the in-person exams, but they will assess the same knowledge and be of similar difficulty as those given in person. We are being explicit with students at this point so that they can make an informed decision about how they take classes this spring.

  • What resources are available to help students academically?

    The Success Coaching Program was designed for triaging support for students struggling academically so they are aware of the many supports on campus and can create an individualized plan for the student's success.

    Additional resources Include:

    Students can also raise a flag in Starfish to indicate they are struggling, and an appropriate office will follow up with them.

    A website has been created that has information for students on how to use technology successfully, communicate well in an online environment and manage time and stay motivated when taking classes online. “How to be successful in an online learning environment” can be found online

  • What kind of access will there be to the libraries? (Updated Jan. 12, 2021)

    During library hours, all floors are open at each location. You will be able to browse our vast print collection and use our new MeeScan self-checkout machines or mobile App for quick, easy check out of books. You can also request print material to be placed on a self-serve hold shelf to pick up at your convenience. Print course reserves are available and the books are sanitized between use for your protection.

    For your safety, we have rearranged our furniture to ensure physical distancing as well as removed some seating so there is less density overall. You will still be able to reserve our group study rooms for single occupancy only. The Information Commons is available with a reduced number of computers and reconfigured printing. No food is allowed in the library. Masks must be worn at all times

    In support of online learning, we have a vast array of online services and collections. Use our online Find It! discovery search tool to locate online (and print) library materials for your class. Check out our subject guides for resources by topic or Finding and Using Ebooks guide. Get research help via our online Ask A Librarian service. Visit our How to Do Library Research guide for advice on finding relevant materials for your assignments.

    For more information about library services this spring, including hours of operation, visit the Libraries Spring Semester 2021 Plan

    Note: Our restart plan may change in accordance with University policy. When visiting the Libraries, you must adhere to the health and safety policies of the University, including wearing a face covering, and social distance.

  • How do you expect me to maintain my mental health without any breaks during the spring semester?

    We understand that the spring semester will be much different than in the past, but our decisions to minimize the possibility of the coronavirus being brought onto campus and efforts to avoid the peak of the flu season have driven our decision to shorten the overall time of the semester.

    However, we have in collaboration with our Student Association and Student Association Congress, added three days off during the spring semester when no classes will be held so Wednesday, March 17; Thursday, April 8; and Tuesday, April 20 have all been designated Rejuvenation Days to provide a breather from classes during a hectic time of the semester.

    We remind students, faculty and staff of the many resources we have on campus to support positive mental health, including our University Counseling Center, CARE Team and recreational offerings for students, and our EAP program for faculty and staff. We encourage all members of the campus community to take advantage of these resources, eat well, get plenty of sleep and reach out for help if needed.

  • What will the spring academic calendar be like?

    The spring semester will begin Thursday, Feb. 11, with the exception of pharmacy, graduate nursing and public health courses that will be held beginning Feb. 8). The semester will end Wednesday, May 26. The spring break has been eliminated, but three Rejuvenation Days when there will be no classes have been added to the schedule. The three days are Wednesday, March 17; Thursday, April 8; and Tuesday, April 20. Find the complete spring 2021 academic calendar online.

Code of Student Conduct

International students (this entire section was updated April 16, 2021)

  • What is the current guidance from the Student and Exchange Visitor Program (SEVP)? (Updated April 16, 2021)

    We are awaiting guidenace from the Student and Exchance Visitor Program (SEVP) for the fall 2021 semester. Prior guidance from SEVP can be found below. 

    For spring 2021, the Student and Exchange Visitor Program (SEVP) has indicated that the guidance from the fall 2020 semester is still in place until further notice. The current guidance from the SEVP includes flexibility for F-1 international students due to the COVID-19 pandemic. In brief, this guidance allows for the following:

    • F-1 students who were in Active SEVIS status as of March 9, 2020, may choose to take all of their courses online if that is most appropriate for their circumstances. Students in this group may take courses in the U.S. or outside the U.S. This guidance also applies to students who were active in SEVIS on March 9, 2020, and transferred from another school.
    • Students who began their F-1 status after March 9, 2020 (including students who started at Binghamton University in fall 2020) must take at least one hybrid or in-person course that counts toward their full-time enrollment requirement. 
    • Students who began their studies outside the U.S. in the fall 2020 semester and will be coming to the U.S. for the first time for spring 2021 must take at least one hybrid or in-person course that counts toward their full-time enrollment requirement.
    • New students who are outside the U.S. may not enter the U.S. if they will be taking all of their courses online. New international students who wish to come to the U.S. must take at least one hybrid or in-person course that counts toward their full-time enrollment requirement. New students who wish to take all of their courses online must remain outside the U.S. for the spring 2021 semester.

    For more information, visit the International Student and Scholar Services website.

  • Am I able to enroll in 100% online courses from outside the United States? (Updated April 16, 2021)

    We are awaiting guidance from SEVP for the fall 2021 semester. Prior guidance from SEVP can be found below. Binghamton University plans to return to in-person instruction for the fall 2021 semester. 
    For the fall 2020 and spring 2021 semesters, F-1 international students who were in Active SEVIS status on March 9, 2020 may take all online courses outside the United States and maintain their F-1 status as long as they maintain a full-time course load. If you plan to take all of your spring 2021 coursework online from outside the United States, you must complete the Continuing Student Outside the US form. ISSS will use this information to update your SEVIS record to confirm that you are maintaining your F-1 or J-1 status outside the U.S. You must also discuss this plan with your academic advisor and review the spring 2021 registration information to determine whether or not you need to declare yourself a remote learner. 
    F-1 students whose SEVIS status started after March 9, 2020, are required to register for at least one in-person or hybrid course as part of their full-time courseload. Students in this group cannot maintain F-1 status by taking online classes from outside the United States.

  • Will Binghamton University offer courses that allow me to maintain my F-1 or J-1 status? (Updated April 16, 2021)

    Binghamton University plans to return to in-person instruction for the fall 2021 semester, and international students will be able to enroll in sufficient in-person courses to maintain their immigration status. 

  • What courses are considered to be “in person” or “hybrid”? (Updated April 16, 2021)

    Courses at Binghamton University are being coded as in person or hybrid, based on their modes of delivery. Additional courses that continue to be considered in-person courses (in that they are unchanged by this new guidance) include thesis, pre-dissertation, dissertation, final project, independent study and internship.

  • Will the University continue to accept Duolingo scores to satisfy language proficiency?

    It appears that TOEFL and IELTS are being administered in person in countries where conditions permit; they are being administered online in many places where in-person testing is not possible. Students in China cannot take the TOEFL online. Given the uncertainties that remain, we will continue to accept Duolingo through fall 2020 for the spring 2021 application cycle.

Graduate students (this entire section was updated Dec. 17, 2020)

College experience/events

  • I am an incoming student. How will you make this experience valuable for me?

    It is Binghamton University’s intent to provide the richest experience possible for all students, but particularly students who are new to campus. In addition to the many resources that are available to students on campus — from recreational facilities to the Libraries and from student organizations to mental health supports — the University is providing programming for students that includes both in-person and virtual non-academic events that safely follow social distancing guidelines in approved indoor and outdoor spaces. All events are posted in B-Engaged.

  • Why should I live on campus when I won’t fully experience college life with so many restrictions?

    Returning students are already familiar with the hundreds of student organizations that regularly hold meetings and events, as well as University and department-sponsored functions. These opportunities continue to be available, providing students with the myriad opportunities for engagement that provide a base for a robust college experience. Some events are in person, others are in hybrid or virtual formats. All events and programming are announced in B-Engaged.

  • How will Campus Recreational Services operate? (Updated Feb. 1, 2021)

    Campus Recreational Services has prepared a full reopening plan for programs, outdoor pursuits and fitness that will comply with social distancing guidelines while providing services to students. These plans may be altered as needed relative to changes in COVID-19 guidelines regarding fitness, sports and recreation.

    All activity spaces (indoor and outdoor) have reduced capacities and users are required to make an online reservation in advance. Timeslots will be scheduled throughout the day. Our main goal is to ensure patron safety, reduce density and maintain access equity while servicing the most number of patrons possible during this difficult time.  

    Locker rooms/locker rentals remain open; however, patrons are encouraged to come to the Rec Center prepared for exercise and to limit the amount of time in the locker rooms when possible. All safety and social distancing guidelines are required in the locker rooms. Directional signage is in place.

    No day passes or fitness memberships are available to community members this spring. Access is limited to students, faculty, staff and campus affiliates.

    East Gym building hours will be adjusted as needed. They can be found on the Campus Recreation website

  • Are campus recreational facilities open? (Updated Feb. 1, 2021)

    FitSpace and Group Fitness classes

    Indoor exercise facilities are open, following NYS guidelines. In addition, recreation staff has planned a series of outdoor fitness-related activities (i.e. outdoor group classes, hikes, meditations). We are also finalizing a schedule of virtual wellness opportunities, as well as a library of pre-recorded fitness classes.

    FitSpace hours are the same as listed for the East Gym in the question above with access to cardio, selectorized, free-weight and Synergy areas in the facility. The Group Fitness schedule includes a variety of classes offered live and virtual instructors.

    Fitness memberships are limited to students, faculty, staff and campus affiliates.

    Personal training

    Personal Training services are available both virtually and in person. Appointments will be limited to one-on-one sessions; no group sessions will be allowed.


    Spring will contain two competitive seasons. Each season will include a variety of league play and one-day tournaments.

    Spring Intramurals include:

    Season 1: Pickleball tournament, Badminton Doubles tournament, Game Night, Horse Contest, Kan Jam tournament, and opportunities for indoor soccer and/or basketball.

    Season 2: Softball leagues, Ultimate Frisbee tournament, Football Skills Contest, Cornhole tournament and a Spikeball tournament.

    Note that league offerings and availability may change based on any updates to the recreation guidelines.

    Club Sports

    While competitive clubs do not have the ability to travel and compete regionally, we are working hard to offer all clubs — recreational and competitive — the opportunity to meet and practice, while following all required safety and social distancing guidelines. We are facilitating virtual general interest meetings for all new and returning students interested in joining a club sport. Details are available on the website.

    Open Recreation

    Open recreation typically offers students the ability to drop in to play indoor basketball, badminton, pickleball, volleyball, racquetball or squash. At this time, we are offering all activities except volleyball. Basketball is limited to individual shooting and skills; no competitive play is currently allowed under the Interim COVID-19 Guidance for Sports and Recreation.

    The outdoor track, disc golf course, tennis courts, recreation turf field and recreation grass fields also remain open for play. All safety and social distancing guidelines are required for the outdoor facilities. 

    Participants are encouraged to bring their own equipment needed for play (e.g. balls, rackets), however, we still allow equipment check-out at the front desk, with heightened sanitation measures.


    The East Gym pool is open for lap swim only; no rec swim or Family Swim sessions will be offered this semester. Lap swim hours:

    • 6:30-9:30 a.m.; noon-2 p.m.; and 4-6 p.m. Monday, Wednesday, Friday         
    • 9:30 a.m.-noon; 1-3 p.m. and 5-7 p.m. Tuesday and Thursday           
    • Noon-3:15 p.m. and 4-6 p.m. Saturday and Sunday                                

    Individual Aquatic Training is available in person. Appointments are limited to one-on one sessions; no group sessions are allowed.

    Wellness Services Suite

    The Wellness Services Suite will be open reduced hours, three days per week, to accommodate individual massage appointments with a NYS Licensed Massage Therapist. Nutrition appointments with the Binghamton University Dining Services Registered Dietitian will be available virtually.

    Outdoor Pursuits

    Outdoor Pursuits continues to offer all spring OUT credited courses, with a hybrid teaching model of in-person and online learning opportunities. A calendar of adventure activities is available on this website. Trips and excursions are limited to on campus and the local area. Transportation options are more limited this semester due to reduced density restrictions in vehicles. The Rental Center has reduced hours and the Challenge Ropes Course is currently closed. 

  • What will events look like, in general?

    Most events and programs (virtual or not) require registration before a student can attend. Events and programs are listed on B-Engaged. Each event must go through an approval process to make sure that proper guidelines are met. Students are required to wear masks and practice safe distancing for in-person events and we will keep abreast of the number of students that can participate in any gathering and will increase the amount as allowable.

    Information on the non-academic event approval process can be found on the web. 

  • Where can I go in between classes or to eat?

    The Undergrounds in the Union, a floor below the Tillman Lobby, is still available for seating for all students and has been adjusted to meet social distancing measures for seating and entrance/exit. Spaces include: open space seating, seating in the Think Tank study room and seating in the Corner POD where a networked campus printer is located. There is also socially distanced seating available in the MarketPlace and in the dining halls.

    The Commuter Lounge in the Union is for all commuter students and will be open for study and lounging whenever the Union is open, from 7 a.m.-10 p.m. Monday through Sunday. Room capacity has been adjusted to meet social distancing guidelines so there will be a limit only five people in the lounge at any given time. Face masks will be required. Eating in the lounge is not allowed, but there is a refrigerator there that commuter students can store food in until they are ready to eat in the eating area in the MarketPlace or in one of the dining halls.

  • How will students be able to get involved? How will student organizations operate?

    Student organizations are still active and looking for new members. The Student Association hosted a Virtual Student Org fair in the first few weeks of the semester through the B-Engaged platform and can help students learn more about the opportunities to get involved through the various student organizations.

  • What is the maximum number of students that can gather for group activities?

    The University follows public health and New York state guidelines for the maximum number of individuals who can gather for group activities while maintaining social distancing guidelines of maintaining 6 feet among individuals. 


  • How is the University screening students, faculty and staff for COVID-19? (Updated Feb. 4, 2021)

    Until further notice and in accordance with New York State Department of Health guidelines, every Binghamton University student, faculty and staff member physically reporting to campus must complete a daily NYS-mandated COVID-19 health screening questionnaire either before arriving on campus or within the first hour of physically reporting to campus. It will take less than a minute to complete.

    The questionnaire is located on the MyBinghamton portal. Respond to the question that automatically pops up with one of two options: you do not have any of the risk options listed, or you have one or more of the risk options listed.

    If you are a student and indicate you have any of the risk options, stay home/in your room or immediately leave the campus. Decker Student Health Services Center will receive any responses that indicate a student was affirmative for any of the screening criteria and will follow up with the student accordingly.

    In addition, all students, faculty and staff who come to campus will be required to report for weekly surveillance testing at the University's Surveillance Testing Center in Old Union Hall.

  • Wear a mask! (Updated March 8, 2021)

    Face coverings must be used in the following instances:

    • Students must cover their noses and mouths with a mask or face covering when in public spaces in the libraries including in the stacks, and in residence halls including but not limited to hallways, kitchens, lounges, laundry rooms and elevators.
    • If you are walking on campus and you can see another person, you must have your mask fully deployed. We know that guidance indicates that if you are outside and more than 6 feet from a person, you don't need a mask; however the proximity of people can change suddenly. Therefore, to protect others on the campus, we require that you have your mask fully deployed if you are walking outside and can see another person.
    • Anyone in a Binghamton University (or University affiliated) space (including buildings, grounds, shared laboratory areas, conference rooms, restrooms, elevators, parking structures, etc.) must wear a face covering or mask that covers both nose and mouth at all times, except when alone in a private room, private office, private vehicle, cubicle space when appropriate social distancing can be maintained, or in a more isolated area with no other people in proximity.
    • Face coverings must be worn in classrooms at all times. 
  • What kind of mask is best, and how should it be worn?

    The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) recommends that people wear masks in public settings, at events and gatherings, and anywhere they will be around other people. Effective February 2, 2021, masks are required on planes, buses, trains, and other forms of public transportation traveling into, within, or out of the United States and in U.S. transportation hubs such as airports and stations.

    In addition, bandanas and neck gaiters are not allowed in the East Gym Recreation Center, as they are not effective barriers when in that environment. 

    For information on masks, how to wear them properly and how to put on and remove them properly, visit the CDC website

  • Can I wear a face shield without a mask?

    According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), a face shield is primarily used for eye protection for the person wearing it. At this time, it is not known what level of protection a face shield provides to people nearby from the spray of respiratory droplets from the wearer. There is currently not enough evidence to support the effectiveness of face shields for source control. Therefore, CDC does not currently recommend use of face shields as a substitute for masks.

    For information on face masks and shields, visit the CDC website

  • How are individuals diagnosed with COVID-19?

    According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) people with COVID-19 have reported a wide range of symptoms ranging from mild symptoms to severe illness. Symptoms may appear 2-14 days after exposure to the virus. People with these symptoms may have COVID-19:

    • Fever or chills
    • Cough Shortness of breath or difficulty breathing
    • Fatigue
    • Muscle or body aches
    • Headache
    • New loss of taste or smell
    • Sore throat
    • Congestion or runny nose
    • Nausea or vomiting
    • Diarrhea

    This list does not include all possible symptoms. Individuals may be diagnosed by a medical professional to have COVID-19, and will be considered a Person Under Investigation (PUI) and must be isolated. Their close contacts must be quarantined.

  • What is the difference between quarantine and isolation?

    Quarantine separates and restricts the movement of people who were exposed to COVID-19 before any symptoms might arise, to see if they become sick. Isolation separates people who have been diagnosed with COVID-19 from people who are not sick. Individuals who are isolated should:

    • Stay in their own room and not share a bathroom.
    • Only leave their room for medical appointments or emergencies. If one must leave their room, a mask should be worn.
    • Monitor for fever, cough or shortness of breath and report to a medical provider should those symptoms occur.
    • Wash hands frequently with soap and water for 20 seconds, or with hand sanitize that contains at least 60% alcohol.
    • Avoid sharing personal items like towels, dishes and bedding.
    • Clean all surfaces in rooms/bathrooms that are touched often, every day, with normal household sprays or wipes.
    • Cover coughs and sneezes with tissue or elbow.
    • Get rest and stay hydrated.
    • If a medical emergency occurs, call 911. Notify the dispatcher that you may have been exposed to COVID-19 and put on a mask before the ambulance arrives.

    Individuals who are quarantined should follow compulsory separation from others, including restriction of movement.

  • How are students who test positive for COVID-19 isolated? (Updated Jan. 27, 2021)

    The University practices with respect to quarantine/isolation of students have been and will continue to be in consultation with the Broome County Health Department (BCHD).

    Returning home for quarantine/isolation is always an option for students if they are able and have private transportation.

    Residence hall space has been reserved for on-campus residing students who need quarantine/isolation and who wish to remain on campus. Separate space is reserved for those who require isolation and for those who require quarantine.

    Off-campus students will be quarantined/isolated in their off-campus residences as per the guidance of the BCHD.

    For answers to frequently asked questions about on-campus isolation and quarantine, visit the on-campus student Isolation and Quarantine FAQ page.

  • Do on-campus students have to notify campus if ordered to quarantine or isolate? (New March 17, 2021)

    Yes. If you live in a residence hall on campus and you are notified by a public health authority such as the Broome County Health Department or the New York State Department of Heatlh that you have to quarantine or isolate, you must tell University representatives right away.

    Send your quarantine or isolation order to and the information will be shared with the team on campus that will get you into the appropriate housing. You cannot quarantine or isolate in your room even if you live in a single residence. 

  • How are isolated students cared for? (Updated March 19, 2021)

    Residentail students in on- or off-campus quarantine/isolation spaces are provided with a “care” kit that includes items such as a thermometer, Tylenol, masks, hand sanitizer, water pitcher, etc. This kit also includes educational materials on what students should do in quarantine/isolation; expectations of behavior in the designated spaces; instructions on meal ordering, laundry and trash removal; and resource and emergency numbers.

    Safe Housing staff are available to assist residential students in on- and off-campus isolation and quarantine. For answers to frequently asked questions about on-campus isolation and quarantine, visit the on-campus student Isolation and Quarantine FAQ page.

  • What happens when a student's quarantine or isolation ends? (Updated Feb. 4, 2021)

    The isolation/quarantine period typically lasts 10 days. Safe Housing and Decker Student Health Services staff do not have control over your release date. The Broome County Health Department determines when your isolation/quarantine period begins, with the first day being “day zero.” It is common that you will be released at midnight on day 10. If you have questions about your release date, please bring it up with the Health Department during their check-ins with you.

    On your last day of isolation/quarantine, you should receive an official communication from the Broome County Health Department. Once you receive this communication (usually via email), forward it to and text Safe Housing to organize a time to leave. The Safe Housing staff will assist you in planning your move back to your residence hall. Students must wait for this release from the Broome County Health Department and for approval from Residential Life before returning to their residence hall.

  • How do I know if I have been in contact with someone who has a confirmed case of COVID-19?

    Binghamton University works with the Broome County Health Department (BCHD) — the lead agency in our county for COVID-19 — to support the health and wellness of anyone who is diagnosed with COVID-19. Individuals with the diagnosis are isolated and receive medical care, and the BCHD works with them to identify anyone they may have had significant contact with. Those individuals will be notified by the BCHD of actions they should take to care for themselves. If there is no significant contact, no significant exposure has occurred. 

  • What if a student is directed to quarantine?

    In most cases, quarantined individuals will not be sick, but are being quarantined on the chance that they could become symptomatic and therefore infect others. This is a strategy to reduce transmission. A student who has had a potential exposure to someone with COVID-19 may be directed by medical professionals to quarantine. If so, the student will be strongly advised to go home for a period of 10 days post-exposure. If there is an extraordinary reason why an on-campus residing student is unable to travel home (international student, lives with a frail grandparent, etc.), the on-campus residing student may have an option of moving into quarantine housing on campus or at a local hotel as space allows.

    On-campus students who are quarantined should follow these nine steps. If you are an off-campus student who is quarantined, follow these nine steps

  • What should I do if I suspect someone I know has COVID-19?

    If the individual is a student, urge the person to contact the Decker Student Health Services Center (DSHSC) at 607-777-2221, or the person's medical provider. If the individual is an employee, urge the person to contact the person's medical provider. The individuals should call the DSHSC or their medical provider first to be screened and, based on responses to questions about symptoms, will be told next steps.

  • What should students who think they are sick do?

    Students who think they may have coronavirus must CALL THE DECKER STUDENT HEALTH SERVICES CENTER at 607-777-2221 within 24 hours of the onset of symptoms and as early in the day as possible.

    There are no walk-in appointments. All appointments will begin via telehealth. Students must call for medical care, at which time they will be routed to a nurse for a session (similar to Zoom) to triage their problem. If necessary, a appointment will be arranged with a physician or nurse practitioner. The medical provider will treat most conditions via telehealth, but in-person visits are available at the provider's discretion.

    Students using an off-campus walk-in or urgent care facility should also call ahead, and faculty and staff should contact their healthcare provider by phone to make an appointment.

  • Do I have to make an appointment to be seen at Decker Student Health Services Center?

    There are no walk-in appointments at Decker Student Health Services Center. All appointments will begin at Decker Student Health Services Center via teleheath.

    All students wishing to receive medical care at Decker Student Health Services must call 607-777-2221 to begin the triage process.

  • What if a student needs medical attention when Decker Student Health Services is closed?

    Medical care is available to all students through Decker Student Health Services Center (DSHSC) from 8 a.m.-4:45 p.m. Monday through Friday, and information about COVID-19 symptoms, prevention and testing is also available on the DSHSC website

    If students believe they are experiencing COVID-19 symptoms, they should call ahead before visiting any healthcare facility to allow providers to properly prepare. 

    For emergency and after-hours care on nights and weekends, students have several options, including through emergency room, walk-in and telehealth care. For life-threatening emergencies, call 911, call Harpur's Ferry at 607-777-3333 (campus emergency response squad) or go directly to the nearest hospital emergency department:

    For minor emergencies, visit a walk-in center, which is appropriate for acute illness that isn't life threatening. Some walk-in centers have X-ray, lab and suturing capability. Call the location first if you need special services.

    Telehealth options are also available for remote evaluation, care and advice.

    Students who visit a local emergency room or urgent care center are responsible for all costs incurred. Students with Binghamton University student insurance can also see a doctor 24/7 through healthiest you. Many insurances are also currently offering no out-of-pocket expense tele-doctor visits.

  • What counseling and support options are available to students? (Updated Feb. 7, 2021)

    Both the CARE Team and the University Counseling Center (UCC) are available to all students who may need to speak with a case manager or counselor.

    To contact the CARE Team

    Appointments with case managers can be conducted through Zoom, email or phone:

    The CARE Team will provide same day phone-in services Monday through Friday at 607-777-2804. Students can call for an over-the-phone consultation with a case manager. 

    To contact the University Counseling Center (UCC)

    • Telemental health services at the UCC are being delivered primarily through the Zoom platform, and may also include some telephone calls depending upon the technology available to students and/or staff. The UCC uses procedures and settings in Zoom to ensure full IT security of sessions. We can offer face-to-face services in certain circumstances when it is clinically necessary.
    • Students can call us at 607-777-2772 to set up an appointment, to find out more about our services or to make other inquiries. You do not need to come in person to be served quickly. We ask that you call before coming in, since we can assist with many requests or questions via phone and we want to maintain a safe lobby density. After calling, appropriately masked students may access the lobby, in limited numbers and for a limited duration, with proper social distancing.
    • Services: We offer a wide range of telemental health services including:
      • Individual counseling
      • Group counseling
      • Workshops
      • Consultation for concerned parents, guardians, friends and family
      • A secure room if needed for urgent telemental health appointments
      • Referrals to providers and treatment coordination
      • Mindfulness practices for stress management
      • Same-day urgent counseling
    • Initial visit: If you are a student interested in counseling, we will schedule a tele-triage consultation with you to discuss therapy needs and provide support. We will discuss treatment recommendation(s) (e.g., telecounseling at the UCC, tele-group counseling, off-campus referral, psychiatry referral) at the end of this consultation with consideration of the UCC's scope of services. 
    • Group counseling is currently available at the UCC through Zoom. Information about groups will be updated the first week of classes and as offerings evolve thereafter. You can learn more about how groups work and the spring groups schedule on our group counseling webpage. 
    • Urgent and emergent needs: We will provide same-day urgent teleservice, with emergencies triaged to determine what is the appropriate level of care. You can arrange an urgent telemental health appointment from your room or other private location. If that does not work for you, we can arrange for you to use a private, sanitized Zoom room at the UCC for urgent telemental health with a counselor when space and a counselor are available. If you need urgent access to care, call us at 607-777-2772. 
    • After-hours support remains available through the main counseling number at 607-777-2772 and press #2.
    • For assistance during regular hours and after hours, call the UCC main number at 607-777-2772. 
    • For emergency assistance call 911 or your local hospital, or see the emergencies page on our website for other resources.
    • Due to current state laws, telemental health services can only be offered to students who are physically located in New York state at the time of service. As legal situations change, we will provide any updates on eligibility for students who are physically out of state. If you are located out of state, we can still assist with discussing available treatment options in your state.
  • What resources are available to help me stay healthy, mentally and physically?

    A number of resources are available to students, faculty and staff to help them through this unusual spring semester — all available virtually.

    For faculty and staff:

    For students:

COVID-19 testing and vaccinations

  • What kind of testing is being done throughout the semester? (Updated Feb. 16, 2021)

    Throughout the semester, the University anticipates testing asymptomatic members of the campus community at a surveillance testing center in the Union's Old Union Hall and Mandela Room. All students living on campus as well as those off-campus students who are attending classes in person or who regularly come to campus are expected to be tested weekly. Faculty and staff who regularly come to campus will also be tested weekly.

    Students will receive an email reminder to register for a time that is convenient for them. (Students who are symptomatic should contact the Decker Student Health Services Center by phone to be considered for diagnostic testing. )

    The campus is currently using Abbott's rapid antigen test for all students, faculty and staff in the Surveillance Testing Center. For more information about the testing, visit the surveillance testing FAQ page

    Individuals who test positive for COVID-19 will be contacted by staff and required to isolate, either at home or on campus if they are resident students, or at home or their off-campus residence if they are off-campus students, until medically cleared.

    Visit the Decker Student Health Services Center website for complete information on testing.

    In addition, individuals interested in COVID-19 testing can find a nearby test site using the search tool available on the governor's website

  • How do I change my appointment time, reschedule for the next week and/or cancel my appointment? (Updated Feb. 25, 2021)

    For any appointments to be scheduled Monday, March 1 or after, there is now one link for all students, faculty and staff who are not excempt from COVID-19 testing to use to schedule, or cancel and reschedule their test appointments. Use this link to return to the page where you scheduled your original appointment. Click on "Cancel" to cancel your appointment. Click on "Register" to select a different date/time. The system allows only one time slot at a time, so by changing the time slot you are rescheduling your appointment.

  • Where do I find my testing date/time in the confirmation email? (New Feb. 16, 2021)

    Scroll down the email to the "Slot(s) Reserved" section.  

  • I have had COVID-19. Am I now exempt from testing? (New March 8, 2021)

    If an individual becomes positive, Surveillance Testing will marking them as such and exempt them from testing for 90 days. It is possible that they could get the email communication their first week as they could have tested positive after the scheduling email for that week was launched, however, they should not be retested and no further action is needed on their part.   

  • How will I know if the testing center is open during inclement weather? (New Feb. 16, 2021)

    Watch for a B-ALERT with information on weather related closings. Testing at the Surveillance Testing Center will be canceled for the day if in-person classes are to be taught remotely. Those who were scheduled for testing on a day when classes go fully remote due to the weather will not be tested during that week and are asked to schedule their next test for the following week.

  • Do I have to get tested if I come to campus intermittently, e.g., to get items from my office? (New Feb. 1, 2021)

    Faculty and staff will be part of the testing pool if they regularly come to campus. This includes instructors who teach in-person classes, staff who come to campus, or either faculty or staff who come to campus to conduct classes or other business. 

    The University sent a survey to instructors, faculty and staff to ask if they visit campus, to determine who will be in the testing pool. Those who report that they regularly visit will be part of the testing pool throughout the semester.

  • Do I have to get tested if I have been vaccinated? (New Feb. 4, 2021)

    Yes. All students, faculty and staff who come to campus will still be required to report for weekly testing, even if they have been vaccinated. Find information about surveillance testing on our website.

  • Some faculty and staff have had difficulty securing vaccination appointments; some have appointments as late as April. Is the University providing any guidance or support for faculty teaching in person? (New Jan. 27, 2021)

    Vaccinations and vaccination appointments are managed by New York state and the University is unable to control or coordinate them.  

    That being said, we have learned that the NYS website is replenished with new appointments regularly as vaccine supply becomes available, while appointments quickly disappear as users take them. If you can only secure an appointment months from now, we recommend that you search the site frequently, and refresh the site, because an earlier appointment may become available. Upon securing an earlier appointment, you can cancel a later one. 

  • Am I eligible for vaccination? (Updated March 31, 2021)

    If you are teaching students in person this semester, you qualify for vaccination in the 1B group.  

    If your class is taught in a classroom (traditional or hybrid), you are eligible; however, it is also understood that some instructors teach students in person in labs, which may appear in BU BRAIN as independent study courses. In either case, the determining factor is whether you are teaching students in person.

    Effective Tuesday, March 30, all New Yorkers 30 years of age and older are eligible to receive the COVID-19 vaccine in New York state. Beginning Tuesday, April 6, all those 16 and older will be eligible. Students can find information on how and where they can register for a vaccination appointment on the Decker Student Health Services COVID-19 webpages.

  • If an instructor is teaching in person but cannot get a vaccination in time, can they change their schedule to online?   (New Jan. 28, 2021)

    Spring semester in-person classrooms have the same restrictions and safety measures as they had in the fall semester. It is not required to be vaccinated in order to teach or attend class, and we assume that most people in the classroom will not yet be vaccinated.  

    As in the fall, any instructors who are uncomfortable teaching a scheduled in-person class should reach out to their department chair and/or administrative staff to discuss options that may be available. The University wants to ensure that all instructors are comfortable with their teaching obligations.

    Note that the vaccination consists of two doses that are spaced several weeks apart. Even with an early appointment, it is not likely that one will be completely vaccinated in time for the start of the spring semester.

  • Were there any transmissions traced to any classroom or academic activity?  (Updated Feb. 13, 2021)

    Thus far we are aware of no transmissions that can be traced to classroom activities. 

    A report prepared by Professor Systems Science Hiroki Sayama and Industrial Engineering Hiroki Sayama and Direcor of Student Affairs Assessment Kimberly Yousey-Elsener addresses this. The report was presented to the campus Public Health Advisory Group can be found online.

  • Can we assume that, regardless of vaccination, all distancing and mask rules will be enforced? Will this be communicated to students and faculty? (New Jan. 28, 2021)

    Absolutely. All rules, restrictions and safety measures are in force for all individuals regardless of vaccination. Vaccinated individuals must still wear masks and maintain a safe distance in the classroom and elsewhere.  

    We will continue to use the Campus COVID Response Team (graduate student employees) who will walk the campus on a regular basis to remind students of their responsibilities.

    In addition, we urge faculty, staff and students to remember that the vaccine does not guarantee 100% protection from the virus, and this is especially true of individuals who have taken the first dose of vaccine but haven’t yet taken the second dose. Students, faculty and staff who regularly come to campus and who have been vaccinated will still be scheduled for weekly testing and are required to be tested.

  • What plans are in place for going online if necessary, and will it be structured to give instructors advanced notice? (New Jan. 28, 2021)

    The State University of New York is still determining the policies we will have to follow for switching to online instruction, and the thresholds that will determine when we must do so.  We will make this information available to faculty as soon as it is known.  

  • What proof do we need to bring to the vaccination site to show eligibility? (New Jan. 27, 2021)

    So far, the state vaccination site has not required evidence of your eligibility as a faculty member, although to be safe you should bring a faculty ID or other documentation of your employment (for example, a pay stub). 

    We have not seen any requirement that instructors bring proof that they are teaching in person this semester. Note that, because vaccination is managed by the State of New York, we cannot say for certain if these rules will change.

  • I think I was in contact with someone who has COVID-19. Can I stop into Old Union Hall for a COVID-19 test?

    Do not simply show up to Old Union Hall to get a test. If you have been exposed you should expect to be contacted by the Broome County Department of Health. If you don’t receive a call, they have not determined you must be tested or quarantined.

    The surveillance site in Old Union Hall is only for individuals with appointments. The site is unable to accommodate people who wish to receive a test.

    Other testing sites are available:

    • For people who are symptomatic, contact Decker Student Health Services at 607-777-2221.
    • For anyone who wants a test, make an appointment to be tested at the drive-up NYS Testing Site in Lot ZZ south by calling 888-364-3065. This is a drive-up site and you must arrive and remain in a car. 
  • Will I have to be tested throughout the semester? (Updated Feb. 4, 2021)

    Per new SUNY guidelines, all students, faculty and staff who regularly come to campus will be tested weekly during the spring 2021 semester.

    Binghamton University is conducting what is known as COVID-19 surveillance testing of all students — undergraduate and graduate, and on- and off-campus, as well as of faculty and staff.

    Individuals selected for testing are notified by email to their University account, typically two days before their assigned testing date. If you are so notified, you will have the opportunity to register for a two-hour window on your designated day and are required to arrive for testing as directed at the testing center in Old Union Hall in the University Union. The testing notice will provide additional details on the location, parking and process.

    Students who fail to show on their assigned testing date will be rescheduled as possible. Pursuant to the Rights and Responsibiities document, persistent non-compliance may result in disciplinary action. Penalities can include denial of access to campus and loss of housing.

  • What happens if someone tests positive for COVID-19?

    If someone tests positive, the University works in consultation with the Broome County Health Department (BCHD) to isolate that individual until the individual's health has improved and they are no longer considered infectious. Returning home to recover is the first option explored. For on-campus residing students who are unable to return home to recover, designated isolation spaces are available on campus. For off-campus students, recommendations regarding isolation are made in consultation with the BCHD considering the student's current off-campus living situation. Case investigators and contact tracers from the BCHD work with students to identify and educate contacts in need of quarantine, and to provide support. 

  • How does the University protect the privacy of someone who takes a COVID-19 test?

    Individuals submitting to a COVID-19 test for the purpose of detection of SARS-CoV-2 have the right to be assured of the confidential treatment of disclosures and records and to have the opportunity to approve or refuse the release of such information except when release of specific information is required by law or is necessary to safeguard you or the University community. All COVID-19 test results, positive or negative, are required to be reported to the New York State Department of Health.

    If you have concerns about privacy, tell us. We want, expect and need your feedback. For concerns regarding medical care, contact the medical director at 607-777-2221. If you feel the issue is not resolved, you may appeal to the University’s privacy compliance officer — Office of University Counsel, Binghamton University, AD-614, Binghamton, New York, 13902-6000. Complaints may also be registered at the U.S. Office of Civil Rights N.Y. Office at 1- 800-368-1019; TDD: 1-800-537-7697.


Parking and transportation

  • Will OCCT and/or BC Transit be operating?

    Yes, both OCCT and BC Transit are operating this spring. 

  • What passenger limits will there be on OCCT and/or BC Transit buses? (Updated Feb. 3, 2021)

    Both services are operating under the latest guidance for transit provided by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), the Department of Transportation, the governor’s office and/or the Federal Transit Administration.


    OCCT is limiting ridership to 17 passengers per blue bus and eight passengers per green campus shuttle. Passengers must wear masks and social distance at all times, both inside the bus and while waiting in line with other passengers. Riders not wearing masks will be denied entry. When riding OCCT, passengers enter through the front of the bus and scan their University IDs and are required to exit through the rear doors.

    Buses are cleaned and disinfected at night and high-touch points are wiped down mid-day. Cleaning and disinfecting is performed in accordance with guidelines from the CDC and the Department of Transportation. This includes using approved disinfectants and following manufacturer’s instructions for all products, including concentrations, application and method.

    BC Transit

    BC Transit is limiting ridership to 20 passengers per bus and requires that masks be worn and social distancing take place. Riders not wearing masks will be denied entry. Passengers enter through the front of the bus and are required to scan their University IDs. BC Transit is cleaning and disinfecting their buses regularly following required guidelines.

  • What are the spring schedules for OCCT and BC Transit? (Updated Feb. 5, 2021)

    The OCCT schedule for the spring semester can be found on the OCCT website. Download the ETA SPOT application for real-time bus tracking information. OCCT and TAPS will closely monitor usage to make necessary changes if overcrowding occurs.

    BC Transit continues to operate between 7 a.m. and 9 p.m. BC Transit routes and schedule information are available at the BC Transit website. All routes are available and run at similar frequencies. Download the DoubleMap application for real-time bus tracking information.

  • Will first-year resident students be able to bring a vehicle to campus? (Updated Jan. 21, 2021)

    Due to COVID-19 and a lower on-campus density, first-year resident students will be able to purchase a parking permit for the spring 2021 semester. Semester parking permits will be available for purchase online at the TAPS portal. First-year resident students are only permitted to park in first-year designated parking lots, Lot G1 and Lot M1. See the campus map for parking lot locations.

  • Do parking rules and regulations still apply? (Updated Jan. 21, 2021)

    Parking rules and regulations are in effect. When parking from 7 a.m. Monday through 4 p.m. Friday, a valid parking permit is needed. Permits are available for purchase online. In order to limit in-office visits, office staff will be available to answer questions by email at or by phone call at 607-777-2279. Parking Services requests that all transactions be completed online when possible. In person transactions can be done at the Events Center ticket booth.

  • Will Safe Ride be operating? (Updated Feb. 3, 2021)

    Due to COVID-19 concerns, Safe Ride is unable to provide vehicle escorts. University Police will continue to provide walking escorts for anyone who does not feel safe walking on campus. This service is available 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. Students, faculty and staff can request a safe walking escort by calling University Police at 607-777-2393.

    For those navigating campus, TAPS encourages students, faculty and staff to utilize the OCCT campus shuttle. The shuttle continuously loops the main campus and runs until 1 a.m., stopping at multiple locations. The route is performed by a green shuttle Monday through Friday and a blue bus Saturdays and Sundays. During peak times, the buses run more frequently and will arrive at stop locations every 7-10 minutes. The campus shuttle is displayed in the ETA SPOT application for real-time tracking information.

    For more information on the safe escort program and the campus shuttle, visit the TAPS website. For additional information, email TAPS at

  • Will Escape offer trips? (Updated Feb. 3, 2021)

    Since there are no breaks in the academic calendar, Escape does not intend to run bus service.

Off campus


  • How will dining on campus work? (Updated Jan. 25, 2021)

    Campus dining facilities, both resident and retail, has adopted operating procedures that provides food in single-serving, ready-for-takeout packaging and also institutes increased sanitation at customer touch points. Dining facilities are configured so diners will have designated entry points and exit points, with patrons queued in lines that adhere to social distancing guidelines. In resident dining facilities, a greeter will control the entry to the serving area. Some seating will be available consistent with social distancing guidelines provided by New York state and SUNY. Self-service condiments, food and beverage stations have been discontinued. Touchless payment is being used at all locations and Plexiglass barriers have been installed at cashier stations. 

    For additional details, visit the Binghamton University Dining Services website.

  • What has been done to reduce points of contact in dining operations? (Updated Jan. 25, 2021)

    A number of measures have been taken for the safety of our students, as well as the Dining Services staff. We have created “touchless” payment options at all points of sale, removed all self-service options throughout our operations, streamlined our production and queuing to create less waiting time in lines, and serving all food in carry out containers for the utmost safety, quality and speed of service. 

  • Is online ordering an option? (Updated Jan. 25, 2021)

    Yes! Check our retail locations in the MarketPlace and around campus. To provide an additional level of service, Dining Services now offers online ordering in many of our retail locations through the Bing Bite app.

  • How will Dining Dollar rollovers work? (Updated Jan. 21, 2021)

    If you live in a residence hall on campus this fall (Mountainview, Hinman, CIW, Dickinson or Newing), your dining dollars will automatically roll over to your spring meal plan account. This happens about a week after classes start. The default meal plan selection is Plan C, but if you have a large carryover balance, you may want to select a smaller meal plan for the upcoming semester. You will make this change using BU BRAIN.

    If you are a commuter student this spring  (including students living in Hillside and Susquehanna communities) and have:

    • A spending balance greater than $100, your meal plan dining dollars can be easily transferred, dollar for dollar, to the $25 Plan at no additional cost. This is a retail plan and does not include resident pricing. Details can be found on our website. You will need to contact the meal plan office at or 607-777-6000 to choose this option. You cannot choose this option online.
    • A spending balance greater than $340 can be used to purchase a Commuter Semester Plan at no additional cost. You will need to contact the meal plan office at or 607-777-6000 to choose this option. You cannot choose this option online. *Note: You can select a $25 Plan mentioned above if you prefer. 

    If you took fall 2020 off, or attended only online classes and plan to return to campus for spring 2021:

    • And your dining dollars spending balance is greater than $100, the balance will be carried over to the meal plan you purchase for the spring 2021 semester.
    • If your balance is less than $100, it will not automatically be carried forward and will not be refunded. If you return to live on campus for the spring 2021 semester, you will be required to enroll in a resident meal plan for that semester.

    If you are transferring to another university or discontinuing your studies at Binghamton for more than one semester, you will not be eligible for a refund.

    Additional information is available in the


  • I have been told by the NYS Department of Health that I need to quarantine due to close contact with someone who tested positive for COVID-19. What do I do? (Updated Jan. 20, 2021)

    Contact Human Resources at 607-777-4939 to report this. State employees are eligible for a one time 14-day quarantine period without charge to leave credits from March 2020 to the present.

  • I know someone who is not following appropriate face mask, social distancing or other health and safety guidelines. Is there anything I can do?

    Everyone on campus is subject to following the same health and safety guidelines that have been established to deal with COVID-19, including: following social distancing directives, limiting the number of people in gatherings, wearing a face covering wherever required, adhering to quarantine/isolation requirements and complying with our no-guest policy.

    Any member of the Binghamton University community who observes another community member not following these guidelines may submit a form online noting the noncompliance. The form can be submitted anonymously, or the reporter can also include contact information for potential follow-up.

  • Where do I find the daily health questionnaire that I am supposed to complete when I work on campus?

    Until further notice and in accordance with New York State Department of Health guidelines, every Binghamton University or Research Foundation employee physically reporting to campus must complete a daily NYS-mandated COVID-19 health screening questionnaire. If you are working remotely or are taking a vacation/sick/personal day, the form does not need to be completed that day. Note that this does not change the department call-in procedure that is already established if you need to take a sick day.

    The questionnaire must be completed either before arriving on campus or within the first hour of physically reporting to the workplace. It will take you less than a minute to complete. The questionnaire is located on the University portal that can be accessed (via your computer or smartphone) as follows:

    If you need to reset your password, visit

    In some cases, you may find that you are already logged in and you will not have to enter your username or password.

    Individuals who indicate “yes” to any of the questions should either stay home or immediately leave the workplace. Human Resources will receive any responses that indicate an employee was affirmative for any of the screening criteria and will follow up with the employee accordingly.

    Physical Facilities CSEA-OSU employees will follow a different process and this information will be communicated from your supervisor.

  • If I am working remotely do I need to fill out the daily health questionnaire?

    If you are on vacation or working remotely and will not physically visit the campus, you do not need to fill out the daily questionnaire.

  • I'm stressed. Where can I find help on campus?

    The Employee Assistance Program (EAP) at Binghamton University is a resource available to all employees. As critical/essential employees, our New York state EAP coordinators are professionally trained to respond to critical incidents that impact the University’s community, such as the COVID-19 pandemic. Employees can schedule a virtual appointment with EAP between the hours of 8:30 a.m. and 5 p.m. Monday through Friday at 607-777-6655 or Contact EAP for guidance, referrals or simply a confidential sounding board for anyone in distress.

    EAP offers the following information and resources for faculty and staff:

    • Information on coping with stress and managing social distancing during a pandemic
    • Childcare resources for essential workers
    • Financial relief and guidance
    • Online medical assistance
    • Relief available to workers under New York state law

    More information about these resources is available on the EAP website.

    New Yorkers can also call the COVID-19 Emotional Support Hotline at 1-844-863-9314 for mental health counseling.

    Remember, to schedule an appointment with EAP, call 607-777-6655 or email

  • Will all regular state employees continue to be paid?

    All employees, whether considered critical or non-essential, and whether you have been given an alternative work assignment or not, will continue to be paid. A timesheet must be submitted and approved as detailed below to generate the payments. Until further notice:

    • Hourly employees who work a set schedule or less than a set schedule should complete their timesheets by the regular deadline (or have a designated timekeeper do so) reflecting their normal schedule, and be paid accordingly.
    • Hourly employees who receive supervisor approval to work more than their set schedule should be paid for actual hours worked.
    • Hourly employees without a recurring work schedule should submit their average number of hours worked in the previous two pay periods, as they normally do, by the HR deadlines to be paid.

    As a reminder, employees should be working from home/remotely to the greatest extent possible until they are notified by their supervisors otherwise.

    The University reminds all employees that the critical designation can be granted or removed as needed, depending upon the University’s needs.

  • I haven't been designated a critical employee. Does this mean I won't be?

    Agencies and authorities may change an employee’s designation as either essential or non-essential at any time and, as the operational needs of the response shift, the specific functions or locations may be modified accordingly at any time. The University will reassess the current designations to assure it is still meeting the operating needs of the University.

  • I am a supervisor and I need to designate someone as critical. Can I do this now?

    Agencies and authorities may change an employee’s designation as either essential or non-essential at any time and, as the operational needs of the response shift, the specific functions or locations may be modified accordingly at any time.

  • I have been designated critical. Is remote work still an option?

    Those designated critical may be able to accomplish their work with a combination of remote work and physical work. You should discuss this potential option with your supervisor.

  • I might have symptoms of COVID-19. How will this affect my employment? (Updated Feb. 4, 2021)

    Binghamton University has received the following guidance from the governor regarding employees experiencing symptoms associated with COVID-19:

    Any symptomatic employee should not report to work. As the number of suspected and confirmed cases of COVID-19 increases, all New York state employees must monitor themselves for possible symptoms, such as:

    • Fever or chills
    • Cough Shortness of breath or difficulty breathing
    • Fatigue
    • Muscle or body aches
    • Headache
    • New loss of taste or smell
    • Sore throat
    • Congestion or runny nose
    • Nausea or vomiting
    • Diarrhea

    Any employee experiencing symptoms associated with COVID-19 shall immediately report symptoms to their supervisor and the agency/authority’s human resources (HR) personnel. The supervisor and HR official will immediately direct the employee to leave work, if they are currently at work, or to stay home if they are not at work, and self-quarantine as a precaution.

    The supervisor shall request and record the latest contact information for the employee, including home or mobile telephone numbers, so that HR personnel can reach them for follow up information. If the employee is experiencing severe symptoms and requires urgent medical attention, the supervisor should call 911 and notify the dispatcher that the distressed employee may have COVID-19 symptoms, so that emergency medical service responders may use appropriate precautions.

    An employee exhibiting symptoms who is sent home/not allowed to work should not be required to charge sick leave accruals. They should be given an at-home work assignment. If an at-home assignment is not available, they remain in paid status without charge to accruals. Contact Human Resources at 607-777-4939 to report a case or for questions.

    Research Foundation employees are subject to the same procedures as above, except they are to contact their supervisors and the Research Foundation Human Resources Office at 607-777-4264 to report a case or for questions.

  • If an employee I supervise is quarantined or isolated, what do I do and what information can I share?

    An employee may choose to self-disclose medical information to anyone they wish, but that does not mean that supervisors/managers, Human Resources, University leadership or colleagues can then release that information to others, or discuss it with anyone.

    Guidance for supervisors:

    • If an employee will be absent from or unable to work, you may share an estimated time that they will return to work if one is known.
    • If employees ask about a colleague, remind them that we have a policy of assisting any employee who encounters difficulty in the workplace and that we respect employees’ privacy.
    • If an employee provides medical documentation to you, forward it to Human Resources. Medical documentation may be sent directly to Human Resources, who will then advise you, the supervisor, of the expected duration that the employee is expected to be out, without divulging any specific medical information.

    If you have specific questions, contact Human Resources at 607-777-4939.

    Be aware that any medical information is considered confidential by both union contracts and federal law, which has strict rules regarding what information can be released about an employee. While an employee may voluntarily share information about themselves, it is not information that a manager/supervisor can ask about or share. Contact HR at 607-777-4939 with any questions.

  • If a colleague is diagnosed with a confirmed case, how will I know if I'm at risk?

    If someone is diagnosed with a confirmed case of COVID-19, the Broome County Health Department, or the local health department for non-Broome County resident employees, is responsible for determining those individuals who may have been exposed and for contacting them. The employee may choose to self-disclose medical information to anyone, but that does not mean that supervisors/managers, Human Resources, University leadership or colleagues can then release that information to others, or discuss it with anyone.

Quarantine restrictions for out-of-state travelers 

  • What are the quarantine guidelines for travelers coming to New York from other states? (Updated April 1, 2021)

    Effective Thursday, April 1, domestic travelers are no longer required to quarantine after entering New York from another U.S. state or U.S. territory. While no longer required, the NYS Department of Health still recommends quarantine after domestic travel as an added precaution. Mandatory quarantine remains in effect for international travelers. All travelers must continue to fill out the Traveler Health Form. Individuals should continue strict adherence to all safety guidelines to stop the spread — wearing masks, socially distancing and avoiding gatherings.

    Find complete guidelines for travelers entering New York state on the New York state COVID-19 Travel Advisory page

    For general inquires contact the call the Hotline: 1-888-364-3065 or Ask a Question of New York state.

  • What does quarantine mean?

    The requirements to safely quarantine include:

    • The individual must not be in public or otherwise leave the quarters that they have identified as suitable.

    • The individual must be situated in separate quarters with a separate bathroom facility for each individual or family group. Access to a sink with soap, water, and paper towels is necessary. Cleaning supplies (e.g. household cleaning wipes, bleach) must be provided in any shared bathroom.

    • The individual must have a way to self-quarantine from household members as soon as fever or other symptoms develop, in a separate room(s) with a separate door. Given that an exposed person might become ill while sleeping, the exposed person must sleep in a separate bedroom from household members. 

    • Food must be delivered to the person’s quarters.

    • Quarters must have a supply of face masks for individuals to put on if they become symptomatic.

    • Garbage must be bagged and left outside for routine pick up. Special handling is not required.

    • A system for temperature and symptom monitoring must be implemented to provide assessment in-place for the quarantined persons in their separate quarters.

    • Nearby medical facilities must be notified, if the individual begins to experience more than mild symptoms and may require medical assistance.

    • The quarters must be secure against unauthorized access.

Campus services/operations

  • Campus Mail Services

    Departments that still want mail held at CMS must email CMS at Those coming to the window will need to wear a mask to receive service.

  • Customer Service Center

    The Customer Service Center and monitor board remain in operation. CSC operates from 7 a.m.-3:30 p.m. Monday-Friday and can be reached at 607-777-2226 or The monitor board or Emergency Customer Service Center operates from 3:30 p.m.-7 a.m. Monday-Friday and 24 hours/day on weekends. The phone number is 607-777-2341. Emergency calls are responded to immediately. Non-emergency calls are referred to the CSC on the next business day.

  • Custodial services and cleaning

    Cleaning activities will be prioritized and focused on common areas to allow for attention to trash removal, cleaning restrooms, touch points and health-sensitive areas (locker rooms etc.). Unoccupied offices may not be cleaned on a regular basis and perishables should be disposed of in common-area trash cans. Cleaning activities such as floor finishing and carpet extraction will not be a priority.

  • Central Receiving

    Packages (with the exception of next-day or two-day air that will be delivered directly to recipients by the courier) will be received at Central Receiving and delivered to department/recipient locations. All attempts will be made to deliver packages within one to three business days. Direct delivery by couriers to one-drop locations (including ITC) is suspended. Contact Central Receiving at with any questions.

  • Ventilation systems

    The University is following all current and emerging guidelines regarding mechanical and ventilation systems to help reduce the potential spread of COVID-19. While ventilation is not capable of addressing all aspects of infection control, modifications to HVAC systems can help in some manner. Accordingly, the University is running air systems for longer durations, has increase outdoor air ventilation, and has upgraded filtration and made other adjustments as part of the larger mitigation effort.

    Minimum Efficiency Reporting Value, commonly known as MERV, is a measurement scale designed by the American Society of Heating, Refrigerating and Air-Conditioning Engineers (ASHRAE) to report the effectiveness of air filters. Most code compliant commercial buildings (gyms, malls, etc.) use MERV 8 filters. Our typical buildings have MERV 14 with some cases of MERV 13. MERV 14 filters are typically used in hospital inpatient and general surgery applications.

  • Plexiglass

    Physical Facilities will assist any department that has a need for plexiglass barriers. To begin the process, put in a service request with as much relevant information as possible including:

      • Building and room number
      • Application (desk-top, counter, etc.)
      • Required height and width of the plexi and whether a pass through slot is needed

    Physical Facilities will assign someone to visit the space to evaluate any potential code/ventilation issues etc. For common sizes and applications, the barriers will be ordered from a vendor, but in some cases, the barriers may have to be fabricated. At this point, departments are to provide a funding source. Departments are asked to notify Joe Turdo in the Business Office of the expenses incurred. If departments are comfortable in ordering barriers themselves, they may do so.

  • Repairs/maintenance

    Physical Facilities will prioritize repair and maintenance work orders based on life safety and critical needs. Non-maintenance work orders such as minor alterations will be given a lower priority, resulting in delays.

  • Event work orders
    Binghamton University has made the difficult decision to suspend external conferences and events through spring 2021, so event work orders will not be processed until further notice, unless exempted. We look forward to a time we will again have the opportunity to welcome guests back to campus to provide premier conference and event services. You are encouraged to complete an interest form to inquire about dates beginning January 2021, which will be evaluated on a case-by-case basis in order of receipt, with priority given to returning clients.