Decker College of Nursing and Health Sciences:
Transfer or Double Degree
Nursing is an academically rigorous program that prepares future health care providers. It is a field that offers a variety of paths for self-fulfillment, an important role in society, excellent employment opportunities with very good pay, as well as a plethora of future advancement possibilities.
For further information regarding the Decker College of Nursing and Health Sciences please visit: http://www.binghamton.edu/decker/
Applicants must meet with a professional Decker College advisor (not a peer/student advisor) prior to beginning a formal application process. For advising information please visit:
Scholars who finish their freshman year with a minimum 3.25 cumulative GPA qualify for guaranteed admission to Decker. To seamlessly transfer into the sophomore class, students are strongly encouraged to complete the following courses in their freshman year:
General Chemistry I and General Chemistry II
CHEM 101 and CHEM 102
CHEM 104 and CHEM 105
CHEM 107 and CHEM 108
Exploring Nursing/Health Professions Through Writing
Students are also encouraged to take NURS110 to explore the option of a career in nursing if space in the course is available. This course is offered in both the Fall and Spring semesters.
NURS 110 - Exploring Nursing/Health Professions Through Writing;
Credit hours: 4
General Education C: Composition
Description: NURS110 is a composition course that enables first-year Decker students to explore nursing and other health professions as they develop the necessary skills to research, think critically, write, discuss, and present at the college level. Class discussions and assignments focus on the health sciences, with a special emphasis on areas of professional nursing.
Procedure to Complete the Process:
1. Speak with a Decker College of Nursing and Health Sciences Professional Academic Advisor, and relevant faculty from the program you are applying to.
2. The deadline to apply is March 15 of the freshman year.
3. Note that Decker only accepts students for fall enrollments, and therefore applications for spring semester admission are not permitted.
4. Instructions and an application form are available at the following link. The form must be submitted by March 15 to obtain the guarantee.
5. As soon as the required form is submitted at the URL above, then immediately email Professor Ziegler email@example.com and provide:
a. Your full formal name
d. Current GPA as stated on your transcript
e. Current degree program
f. Desired degree program (indicate if you wish to enroll in a double degree with your current major).
g. Name of advisor you spoke to in the Decker College of Nursing and Health Sciences (this is required to ensure you understand where you will stand in the new curriculum
h. On what date (exact date required) did you submit (on BU BRAIN); the online application (it is on the Home tab at the bottom titled "Intra-University/Double-Degree Application for Admission.")?