Ricardo René Larémont is a political scientist and sociologist at Binghamton University, where his research has focused on Islamic Politics and Islamic Law in North Africa and the Sahel. Larémont graduated from New York University in 1976, with a B.A., cum laude in political science. He received Juris Doctor from NYU in 1979, and a Ph.D. in political science from Yale University in 1995. He is fluent in English, French, Spanish and can read Arabic. He also speaks Italian. Larémont was a visiting assistant professor of political science in Vassar College in 1995. After that he shortly taught at Columbia University, serving as the assistant director of Institute of African Studies. He joined Binghamton University in 1997 with joint appointment from the political science and sociology departments. He was also the associate director of the Institute of Global Cultural Studies, headed by Ali Mazrui. Larémont was promoted to associate professor with tenure in 2002. In the same year he was elected Chair of sociology department and served until 2007. He became the interim dean of Harpur College of Arts and Science in 2007. In 2013, Larémont became a senior fellow of Atlantic Council.
- PhD, Yale University
- JD, New York University School of Law
- BA, New York University
- Comparative Politics
- Islamic Law
- Islamic Politics
- Conflict Resolution
- Government and Politics of the Middle East and North Africa
- Political Islam
- Development of the Modern State
- Chancellor's Award for Excellence in Teaching
- Islam and the Politics of Resistance in Algeria, 1783-1992. Africa World Press. 1999. ISBN 0-865-43753-X.
- The Causes of War and the Consequences of Peacekeeping in Africa. Heinemann. 2002. ISBN 0-325-07061-X.
- Borders, Nationalism, and the African State. Lyne Rienner. 2005. ISBN 978-1588264473.
- Islamic Law and Politics in Northern Nigeria. Africa World Press. 2011. ISBN 978-1-592-21806-6.
- Revolution, Revolt, and Reform in North Africa: The Arab Spring and Beyond. Routledge. 2013. ISBN 978-0415839471.
Memberships in Organizations
- African Studies Association
- American Political Science Association
- American Institute for Maghreb Studies
- Middle East Studies Association