SRI is particularly appropriate for STEM majors who have completed their freshman year and/or STEM majors who have not had an intensive research experience. SRI is for students who have had the equivalent of at least one year of college and introductory college science, math and/or engineering (= STEM) courses in their intended STEM major. AP scores of 4 or 5 may apply to that requirement.
Admission into the SRI program is based on the student's academic record indicating sufficient preparation to be successful, the student's essay indicating background and career aspirations, and letters of recommendation from professionals familiar with the student's aptitude for science and/or engineering.
SRI has rolling admission starting on February 1st. The number of slots in the SRI program is limited, so we recommend that you apply as early as January. Applicants are notified within a few weeks of application deadline. Applications must be submitted by April 14th 2018.
Application Materials Required:
- Completed online application form (below)
- Completed recommendation form sent to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Official college transcript(s) sent to email@example.com
For a general guide to writing personal statements, read "Writing a Personal Statement" (PDF), from the Binghamton University Career Development Center.
Official college transcript(s) must be submitted, so we can review your math and science courses. Submit these to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Scanned copies of your official transcript(s) are preferred.
- Cross out or cover your Social Security number (SSN) prior to scanning your transcript. Your SSN should not appear on your scanned transcript.
- Remember to scan your files with care, making sure that they are clear and legible. The files you upload are what the Admissions Review Committee will see.
- Individual files should be under 2 MB. Preferred file format is PDF. Other accepted file formats include: .doc, .docx, .rtf, .jpg and .tif
We do not require SAT or ACT test scores.
ESL students: If English is a secondary language for you and you did not graduate from a high school in which English was the standard language, we require a minimum TOEFL score of 100 (on the Internet-based test, or 7 on IELTS) for admission. The TOEFL (or IELTS equivalent) helps demonstrate your proficiency in English at the college level. As with all official test scores, the TOEFL or IELTS must be sent electronically through the testing agency. Binghamton University's code is R2535.
If you have received a high school degree from an institution in the United States, United Kingdom, Australia, New Zealand or some Canadian provinces, you are not required to submit a TOEFL or IELTS score.
- Note that any deliberate falsification or omission of application data may result in rescinding of admission, denial of permission to enroll or dismissal from courses. All applicants affirm acceptance of these terms and conditions.
- Admission materials
- All materials submitted by applicants become the property of the University.
- No switching once program is begun
- Once summer program is begun by student, the student cannot switch to another research stream.
- Grading policy
- Research Stream courses must be taken as regular grading (not pass/fail). To continue in the SRI program (from Research Stream Part 1 to Research Stream Part 2), students are expected to engage fully in the SRI projects, complete all assignments in the SRI courses satisfactorily, and demonstrate a steadily increasing ability to engage in research-specific projects as they move through the two-semester SRI sequence. Students who fail to meet these standards will not be allowed to continue. Students should monitor their own progress and discuss any concerns with the SRI staff.