Intern or Volunteer with BC HEARSBroome County HEARS (Higher Education Access, Retention & Success) is a new program that, working with relevant campus offices, seeks to increase degree completion rates for students at Binghamton University and SUNY Broome. The program also works collaboratively with community organizations to increase access to higher education for Broome County residents who had not previously considered pursuing a college degree. We are seeking CDCI interns and volunteers. Students will work with participants at Binghamton University and SUNY Broome as well as Broome County residents in preparation for college courses or TASC exam.
If this opportunity interests you, email us your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Duties of the Volunteer:
- Provide one-to-one or small group tutoring for students and Broome County residents
- Establish connections with community partners through community events
- Develop short lesson plans for various subject areas
- Discuss study skills and ideas for student success in a friendly and supportive manner
- Demonstrate how to use blackboard and other online learning forums
- Student (or alum) at Binghamton University or SUNY Broome in good academic standing
- Ability to present academic materials in an easy to understand manner
- Able to build rapport with students and community members
- Available to work 5-10 hours each week for the semester (or academic year)
- Able to provide tutoring in math, writing or technology (computer literacy)
- Previous experience tutoring high school/college students or working with adult learners
- Previous experience with online learning
Please note that this is a volunteer or credit-bearing opportunity—No financial compensation is available.