The Provost's Award for Excellence in Undergraduate Research honors Binghamton University students who have excelled in research, scholarship and creative activities that extend beyond traditional course work. Two awards are made, each consisting of a certificate of achievement and an award of $750. Students awarded Honorable Mention will receive a certificate of achievement. All recipients are invited to the annual student awards luncheon in the spring semester. See current and past student award winners.
Any undergraduate at Binghamton University who is graduating during the current academic year and is in good academic standing is eligible.
Criteria for Nomination
The award honors excellence in faculty-mentored research and creative activities by undergraduate students that go beyond traditional coursework. These activities can be in any field; the nature of the endeavor is defined by the academic discipline. Binghamton University faculty must have supervised at least a portion of the research/creative activity.
The nomination deadline is April 2, 2021. Send nomination materials to Valerie Imbruce.
- The unit's (school/department/program) undergraduate director or chair must make the nomination
- Each unit may nominate only two undergraduate students
- Nominees must be graduating seniors for the current academic year
Complete submissions must include:
- Letter of nomination from the unit/department
- A current résumé/CV
- At least three letters of recommendation
- Supplemental Information (to be completed by the student nominee and reviewed by the
- Student's name
- Student's class year
- Student's email
- Name of the faculty mentor(s) who supervise(s) the research/creative activity
- Description of independent research/collaborative research/creative activities
- List and brief description of past and present experience(s), including the duration and nature of involvement
- Papers/posters presented, publications, exhibits, performances
- Nominee's response to the following question: What are your professional aspirations and how has this research experience assisted you in achieving these goals? (200-300 words)