Rolling Decisions!

CCPA departments review applications on a rolling basis (rather than after a set deadline), and we continue to make admissions decisions until the program is full. The earlier you submit your application, the earlier you’ll receive a decision!

Get started

Request more information

Apply Now


All students must submit their online application through the Graduate School.

Required application materials

  • Online graduate degree application with graduate degree application fee

  • Transcripts from each college or university you have attended

  • Personal statement (200 words) answering the question "Why do you want to pursue a Master in Sustainable Communities? Do you have any special interests in the field? How does this degree relate to your career goals?"

  • Professional writing sample or essay of 500-800 words on a relevant sustainability topic (can be a paper already written academically or professionally)

  • Résumé or curriculum vitae

  • Two letters of recommendation

  • GRE scores (optional)

Guaranteed Admission for Eligible SUNY Graduates

The Master of Sustainable Communities offers guaranteed admission for students who hold a bachelor's degree with a GPA of 3.5 or higher from one of the following SUNY schools:

  • Binghamton University
  • SUNY College of Environmental Science and Forestry
  • SUNY Geneseo

Students who wish to apply to the program through the guaranteed admissions process should contact Dr. Thomas Kulp at

(Please note, you will still need to submit your resume, transcripts, writing sample, and personal statement for guaranteed admission via the online application.)

Financial aid and funding

Binghamton University offers affordable tuition rates and several options for financing your education. The University also awards hundreds of assistantships every year to graduate students admitted to our master's and doctoral programs. In addition, scholarships are a great way to help you pay for the cost of your education. Visit the Graduate School for more information about financial aid and funding opportunities.


A number of scholarships are available to master's students enrolled in a College of Community and Public Affairs program. To learn more, visit the CCPA scholarships and fellowships webpage.

Additional required application materials for international students

  • Immigration and financial documentation

  • Proof of English proficiency, such as:

    • Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) with a minimum score of 100 OR

    • International English Language Testing System (IELTS) with a minimum overall band score of 7.0 OR

    • PTE Academic with a minimum score of 68 OR

    • College or university degree from an institution in the United States or in another English-speaking country listed on the Graduate School website