Consistently ranked a “Best Value”

  • Rated one of only 10 “Best Buy” public universities in the nation – Fiske, 2019
  • Consistently ranked among the top 50 public universities – U.S. News & World Report 

Rolling Decisions!

CCPA departments review applications on a rolling basis (rather than after a set deadline), and we continue to make admissions decisions until the program is full. The earlier you submit your application, the earlier you’ll receive a decision!


All students must submit their online application through the Graduate School.

Required application materials

  • Online graduate degree application with graduate degree application fee

  • Transcripts from each college or university you have attended

  • Personal statement

  • Professional writing sample or essay of 500-800 words on a relevant sustainability topic

  • Résumé or curriculum vitae

  • Two letters of recommendation

  • GRE scores (optional)

Financial aid and funding

Binghamton University offers affordable tuition rates and several options for financing your education. The University also awards hundreds of assistantships every year to graduate students admitted to our master's and doctoral programs. In addition, scholarships are a great way to help you pay for the cost of your education. Visit the Graduate School for more information about financial aid and funding opportunities.


A number of scholarships are available to master's students enrolled in a College of Community and Public Affairs program. To learn more, visit the CCPA scholarships and fellowships webpage.

Additional required application materials for international students

  • Immigration and financial documentation

  • Proof of English proficiency, such as:

    • Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) with a minimum score of 100 OR

    • International English Language Testing System (IELTS) with a minimum overall band score of 7.0 OR

    • PTE Academic with a minimum score of 68 OR

    • College or university degree from an institution in the United States or in another English-speaking country listed on the Graduate School website