The program is designed for students seeking additional knowledge, coursework and certification in special education. The Adolescence Special Education advanced certificate is designed for students who already possess initial New York state teacher certification (for example, have completed Binghamton's MAT programs or teachers who hold a master's degree (MAT, MSEd) from other institutions). The program will lead to recommendation for NYS Initial and Professional Certification in Students with Disabilities (SWD) 7-12 Generalist.
This program is now offered online, with courses held in the fall, spring and summer to accommodate both full-time and part-time students. Begin your application here.
Connect with a Member of our Admissions Team
- General Inquiries: If you are interested in learning more about one of our programs, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Application Process or Transcript Review: To learn more about the application process or a transcript review, please contact our Admissions and Certification Advisor, Tami Mann.
- Application Requirements and Instructions: Learn more about application requirements and instructions here.
- Start your Application Today: Start your application to this program here.
Students must complete 21 credit hours of coursework and fulfill requirements in fieldwork and an internship. A plan of study provides students and advisors with a form to guide students through the requirements of the program.
Applicants must also meet the New York state requirement of having six credits in each area of English, mathematics, natural sciences and social sciences.
- SPED 521 - Pro Approach Behavior Manage
- SPED 522 - Collab with Families & Staff
- SPED 523 - Assess in Special Ed
- SPED 526 - Inst & Assess for Adol Spec Ed
- SPED 527 - LTRC Assess Instruc Secondary
- SPED 594 - In-Service Practicum in SPED
- SPED 595 - Seminar in Special Education
Students enrolled in teacher preparation programs must earn at least a B- in all courses to progress to subsequent semesters.
Request more information on our Adolescence Special Education — Advanced Certificate Program