Binghamton University's advanced certificate program in Educational Leadership is offered in both traditional in-person and synchronous remote formats. This program is for experienced pre-K through grade 12 educators interested in:
- Completing the requirements for two New York state certificates - School Building Leader (SBL-Initial) and/or School District Leader (SDL-Professional)
- Engaging with a rigorous curriculum at a University recognized nationally for its strong academic programs, distinguished faculty and affordable tuition
- Extending their graduate studies to an EdD in the future
- Expanding their impact beyond their own classroom or specialty area.
The advanced certificate in Educational Leadership is a part-time program designed for the full-time working educator. Students complete nine classes in the evenings either quickly (two classes each fall, spring and summer semester) or more leisurely with one class at a time. Classes are offered by university faculty and area education professionals. The internship, arranged in students' home districts, generally takes another two semesters and requires enrollment in two classes.
Practicing educational leaders wishing to expand your current certification to include an SDL are encouraged to contact Dr. Suzanne McLeod at email@example.com
Synchronous Remote Educational Leadership Track
The Synchronous Remote Educational Leadership track at Binghamton University allows students to be fully engaged in all classes through a synchronous remote format. Students in this particular track are expected to attend courses with in-person students, through Zoom. All courses in the Educational Leadership program (10) will be offered synchronously via Zoom to ensure all students, either in-person or remote, are able to complete this program in a timely manner.
This track offers students with geographical challenges the opportunity and flexibility to participate in the Binghamton University Educational Leadership program from remote locations.
We are accepting applications for Spring 2023 and beyond!
If you believe this track is for you, connect with our program coordinator, Suzanne McLeod.
This is a 30-credit-hour program of study beyond a completed master’s degree of at least 30 credit-hours in a teaching or closely related field. The 30 credit-hours consist of ten required courses, one of which is an internship and two which are completed mostly online. Students are required to pass the NYS School District Leader assessment and to develop a personal plan for self-improvement and continuous learning, consistent with current Educational Leader standards. The personal plan is updated and refined at three defined checkpoints during the program of study.
No graduate record exam (GRE) is required for this certificate program.
Connect with a Member of our Admissions Team
- General Inquiries: If you are interested in learning more about Binghamton University's advanced certificate in Educational Leadership please contact Suzanne McLeod, program coordinator.
- Application Process or Transcript Review: To learn more about the application process or a transcript review, please contact our admissions and certification advisor, Tami Mann.
- Start your Application Today: To start your application click here. Note that recommendations for this program consist of forms filled out by senior school district administrators who can eventually support the candidate's internship — there is no need to request letters of recommendation from them.
In addition to field-based projects and other leadership experiences, students complete a capstone internship. Positioned near the end of the student’s formal academic preparation, the internship provides an opportunity for immersion in the authentic work world of educational leaders. Under the guidance of a University instructor and a field-based supervisor-mentor, students apply and extend the knowledge and skills developed throughout their course of study. For more information, view the Internships page.
Plan of Study
The plan of study for the advanced certificate in Educational Leadership program provides students and advisors with a form to guide students through program requirements.
Note: All Educational Leadership courses are currently 3 credits each.
- EDUC 606 - Curriculum Leadership
- EDUC 607 - School Law and Ethics
- EDUC 608 - School Fin. & Bus. Operations
- EDUC 609 - Asses Student Lrng Sch Improve
- EDUC 610 - Collab w/Diverse Stakeholders
- EDUC 611 - Special Program Leadership
- EDUC 672 - Processes Of Supv & Prof. Dev
- EDUC 673 - Leadership In Educ Settings
- EDUC 675 - Plan/Policy Devlpmt In Educ
- EDUC 692 - Internship