Search Target

Frequently Asked Questions

  1. Campus Resources
    -First Semester
    -People Resources
    -Online Personal Resources
  2. Challenge Yourself Academically
    -Major Steps
    -Medium Steps
    -Quiet Study Locations
    -Group Study Locations
  3. How to Get a Job
    -Job Postings
    -On Campus Jobs
    -Paid Job (Partial List)
    -Summer Job (Partial List)
    -Unpaid Jobs (Partial List)
    -For Credit (Partial List)
  4. Cultural Enrichment
    -Student Run Cultural Groups
    -Student Group Events
    -The Culture of Binghamton University
  5. Get Involved
    -Student Groups
    -Mixed Groups
    -Group Online Resources
  6. Build Your Professionalism
    -Volunteering & Community Service
    -Study Abroad/National Student Exchange
    -Summer and Beyond
    -Professional Fraternities
  7. Appendix
    -PODS Computers and Physical Electronics


Campus Resources

First semester – a crash course

Can I…?

First year Transfer

Overload more than 18 credits? (THEP, MUSP, CEO courses are exceptions)

Can’t first semester

Take 200/300/400/graduate level courses?

Yes, if you have the prerequisites.

Declare a major?


Take AlcoholWise?

Yes, every student is required to complete this.

Live off-campus?


Live in Hillside or Susquehanna on-campus apartments?


Have a car on campus?


Pledge to a frat/sorority?

Yes, but 12 credits from elsewhere required.

Study abroad?

Can’t in first semester.

National Student Exchange?

Can’t during first year.

Apply in fall to be an RA for the spring (second semester)?

Yes, if lived on campus at previous institution.

Apply in fall to be an RA for the next fall (third semester)?


Back to top

  People Resources

  • RA/Resident Assistant: for everyone living on campus, this is your one-stop go-to resource on campus. Yours lives on your floor or in your building or building area.
  • DA/Discovery Advisor: the academics, career, office resources, and study habits advisor.
  • RD/Resident Director: Adult live in professionals, they oversee the RAs. The on-campus Apartment communities each have one CD/Community Director. Need a staff reference?
  • Faculty Master: Kind of like the principal for the area, another great resource. Faculty masters are professors and so understand the intricacies of the university on many levels.
  • Instructors: whether they are professors or TAs, they all have office hours. Go to them.

Back to top

Online Personal Resource Hubs

  1. The BU SSL VPN, or Secure Sockets Layer Virtual Private Network, is a very useful tool to use from an off campus computer or your own computer on campus. Online at, instructions: The SSL provides three major unique resources:
         - Bingview – virtual desktop access, providing use of programs you may not own, such as Publisher and other office programs
         - FTP – downloadable free antivirus software, as well as other things. Antivirus software is crucial to being able to access the campus network
         - H-Drive – save and upload files from your personal networking drive. Most convenient way to access files from various different computers.

  2. – Still in beta, this is a gathering of many important info sources that you would otherwise repetitively type in, and other shortcuts under one sign in. Looking quite impressive.
        - Info links include: QuikPAY (bill payment), Blackboard (course info), BU Brain/“Self Service Banner” (personal and registration info), B-mail (official
        email), hireBING (job/internship info) 
        - Nice shortcuts: class schedule with map (though no Fall 2010 yet), daily photo, account balance, the best of the CDC, BU alert line, RAVE/BU alert texting 
        sign up, and many library services

  3. bMobi: If you have an iPhone, iPod Touch, iPad or Blackberry, download this handy app from the website at Includes maps and other useful things, mostly designed for the new student.

  4. The Bulletin: This encyclopedic reference is the end all be all for Binghamton University information. Explore at your leisure at

 Back to top

Challenge yourself academically

Major Steps

  • When you decide your major, you should look into the honors program within the department as well.
  • Taking a minor, or even doing a double major, is easier to set up as a scholar. Global studies minor anyone?
  • If you are really bold, look into doing the Individualized Major Program (IMP), by 1st semester in junior year: Harpur students only.
  • Independent Study: variable credit bearing, through your department
  • Seek out internships through the Fleishman Career and Professional Development Center (Fleishman Center)
  • Study Abroad at, or do the National Student Exchange Program, which is US and Canada based (at Binghamton National Student Exchange)
  • Scholarships: the Office of External Scholarships provides not only welcome scholarship advice, but also guidance on getting into graduate schools, summer internships, and other involvement opportunities. At, and look for Janice McDonald in University Union 260.

Back to top

Medium Steps

  • Take difficult but meaningful classes that you know you will get something out of, even if they require a lot of effort. Statistics, Calculus, Chinese, Japanese are all good examples of such classes.
  • You are able to take graduate courses in your own major. Just make sure that you like what you are getting yourself into.
  • Give tutoring through the Center for Learning and Teaching/CLT (or EOP, SSS, Writing Center), if you want to understand a subject better. At
  • Get tutoring if you need to for the same reason: there’s no shame in it.
  • Languages Across the Curriculum (LxC): Enables you to use your already established second language (or third, or fourth…) in other capacities. At
  • Do research as a Research Assistant. There can be credit or other benefits from this. Go to your department’s website and take a look at the faculty’s listed interests to find who matches your own. Some departments, like bio, have classes that prepare for research.
  • Become a TA (Teaching Assistant). Typically requires doing well in a class, then working out with the professor to become one. Receives credit and/or money.
  • Become a DA (Discovery Assistant), who does peer academic advising, through Hint: look into the “News” section…
  • Become a Peer Assistant through your school’s advising department. There is usually credit earned for this, as in Harpur and CCPA, but check elsewhere.

Back to top

Quiet Study Locations

  • Bartle Library:
    • 1st Floor East Reading Room (by elevator)
    • Fine arts area, 1st floor (through Newcomb Reading Room)
    • 2nd floor at mezzanine, patio
    • North Reading Room, 2nd floor, around stairs to Fine Arts
    • 3rd floor surrounding restrooms in center, corners
    • 4th Floor areas, in center between sets of stairs
  • Science Library:
    • Ground floor has many small study areas.
    • 1st floor, aka the one with printers. Several areas in non-computer half of room.
    • 2nd floor has three study areas sandwiching the periodicals.
  • University Downtown Center:
    • Five study carrels on 1st floor (125 E-J)
    • Room 123 (Computer Pod)
    • Room 215 (Study Lounge with vending machines)
    • Room 328 (Graduate Computer Pod)
    • Room 357 (Graduate Student Lounge)
    • Room 450 (Student Lounge)
  • Other
    • Transfer Student Lounge, CIW Commons Room 130
    • Hinman Library
    • Study lounge, if your hall has one.
    • The Memorial Courtyard, in Fine Arts

Back to top

Group Study Locations

  • Bartle Library
    • 1st Floor Info Commons: Group Study Presentation Practice Room: Sign up on door
    • Bartle Library 3rd Floor: four corner areas
    • Bartle Library 4th Floor: four corner rooms and four central rooms
    • Newcomb Reading Room
    • Fine Arts room: one room behind call numbers ML-MT
  • Other
    • Science Library Main Floor (printer floor): back right, two rooms (108 and 111)
    • Science Library Ground Floor: two rooms, near QC-QD (G05 and G07)
    • UDC: Rooms 124A-D (Multi-media group study rooms)
    • Hinman Library: two corner rooms
    • AA G008: 24 hour in advance sign-up

Back to top

How to get a Job

Job Postings.

  • The Fleishman Center for Career and Professional Development posts jobs on the University's online job board: hireBING
  • The Financial Aid office has job information, especially for federal work-study
  • Many departments post their own jobs on their own websites or in their actual offices. These include Campus Recreation, the library, Sodexo, and the bookstore.
  • B-line announces when certain jobs are accepting applications, such as tour guide.
  • Postings on bulletin boards around campus

Back to top

Job Types - On Campus

  • Some jobs are Federal Work Study (FWS), which are available only to those who get it in their financial aid. There is a limit to the number of hours you can work each semester as a FWS student. Only one FWS job can be held at a time.
  • Any number of the regular jobs, called student assistants, can be held.
  • The majority of jobs get paid by the hour, like SIA or bus driver.
  • Some receive a stipend per semester, like ResCon and Late Nite E-board.
  • Some jobs continue into the summer. Others are exclusively for the summer, and may include summer housing.
  • RA is an exception, and is probably the most sought after job on campus, as in lieu of money RAs are compensated with a bed waiver for their own room and the D meal plan. The application process starts in the fall, as detailed on Res Life’s website. Applying to start in the spring starts earlier in the fall.
  • All those in the partial lists are on campus

Back to top

Paid Job Partial List

Job Title



Tour Guide


Announced through B-line.

Baxter the Bearcat


Athletics Jobs


Book store jobs

Book store

Event Staff

Campus Life

Campus Life Office (UU 145)

Late Nite Staff

Campus Life

Campus Life Office (UU 145)

Late Nite Prog.Board

Campus Life

Campus Life Office (UU 145)

Campus Rec Jobs

Campus Recreation

CLT Tutor


Go to CIW library as early as possible and inquire

Discovery Advisor (DA)


Discovery staff


Go to CIW library as early as possible and inquire

EOP Tutor


Contact EOP

Events Center Staff

Events Center (on left)



Computing Jobs


Language Resource Specialist

Languages Across the Curriculum

Library jobs


Bus driver


Late Nite Monitor


Safe Ride Jobs

Public Safety (University Police)

Student Manager

Res Life

Res Life offices

Residential Life Staff

Res Life

Res Life offices

Resident Assistant (RA)

Res Life

Food Service


Student Info. Assistant (SIA)


Telefund Assistant

Binghamton Fund

Alumni relations office

Info Desk - Student Mgr

University Union


UU Event Staff, other jobs

University Union


BU escape

BU escape



777-4144, office in New Union

Back to top

Summer Job Partial List

Summer Staff

Campus Life

Orientation Advisor (OA)

Campus Life

CIW Summer Office Staff


Posted in CIW dining hall area, and/or office

EOP Summer Jobs


Physical Facilities Summer Jobs

Physical Facilities

Conference Assistant (CA)

Res Life

Res Life offices, for summer

Summer RA

Res Life

Res Life offices

Back to top

Unpaid Job Partial List


Dept/Student group

Helpful Link/contact

Student Ambassador

BU Student Ambassador Program

Harpur's Ferry Volunteer

Harpur's Ferry

Hotline Counselor

High Hopes

Wait for GIMs at beginning of semesters

Student Conduct Board

Student Conduct

Student Conduct Outreach Team (SCOT)

Student Conduct


Previously lived Res. Area

Res Life Community Office

Transfer Mentor

Res Life and Transfer Office

Res Life Community Office & Transfer Office (CIW Rm. 109)

Radio Jock


hireBING Job Postings

Career Center


Back to top

For Credit Partial List


Dept/Student group

Helpful Link/contact

CCPA Peer Advisor



Harpur Peer Advisor

Harpur Advising

Harpur Advising


Health Services



Faculty. Some TAships get paid.

Writing Center Tutor

Writing Center

Back to top

Cultural Enrichment

At college, you have an opportunity to expose yourself to a lot of things that you haven’t before. Never before, and probably never again, will you have a convergence of cultures, peoples, backgrounds, and lives, all interacting together within a campus environment. Take advantage of everything you can here.

Student Run Cultural Groups

  • Many student cultural groups are self-segregating, and this is nothing new. This is reinforced through when events are advertised in a non-English language. And sure, it is fine that groups should seek out people like themselves; that’s what humans do. The real challenge is reaching out to others who are NOT the same culture
  • Either way, try to act against the grain and crash events with an open mind, and even join the group should you be so inclined. If nothing else, the food is worth it.
  • There are a couple places that have a listing of cultural groups, namely the Multicultural Resource Center’s website at, and the SA’s at, but the real way to find out about one is to simply read an event flier and go to it. Keep in mind a bunch of these take place on Late Nite time.

Back to top

Student Group Events

Many cultural groups have a major event that they put on, sometimes once a year. If you are going to go to anything, go to these. Among them:

  • Hong Kong Exchange Square’s (HKES) Street Fair
  • Sul Poong’s Annual Concert
  • Binghamton Association of Mixed Students’ (BAMS) Singled Out
  • Chinascope’s Spring Festival
  • Rainbow Pride Union’s Annual Drag Show
  • Muslim Student Association’s (MSA) Bi-annual Banquet
  • Black Student Union’s Annual Comedy Jam
  • Caribbean Student Association’s (CSA) Carnival
  • Asian Student Union’s (ASU) Asian Night
  • African Student Organization’s Culture Shock
  • Haitian Student Association’s Annual Date Auction
  • Turkish Culture Association’s Turkish Night, Annual Picnic and BBQ
  • BU Japanese Association’s (BUJA) Japan Night, Nippon Night
  • Hindu Student Council’s Annual Diwali Banquet
  • International Flag Dancers’ Annual Banquet
  • Phillipine-American League’s (PAL) Barrio Fiesta and PAL Banquet
  • Vietnamese Student Association’s (VSA) Vietnam Night
  • Taiwanese American Student Coalition’s (TASC) Night Market, Banquet
  • Chabad’s Purim Carnival

Back to top

The Culture of Binghamton University

The university has a culture all on its own, and although it is limited to the area, there are still a few places to go and things you should do, especially when it is your last chance to see them.

The Places:

  • Memorial Courtyard: The most silent, peaceful, sacred area on campus, nestled within the Fine Arts building. More info at
  • Art Museums in Fine Arts Building, Rooms 179 & 213. Info and hours at
  • Nature Preserve: with multiple trails, an expansive area, and even some wifi, the university’s largest classroom is part and parcel of its culture. Maps and so on at
  • Greenhouse: At Science III, the website has self-guided tour scripts for their four climate zones. Go there M-F, 8AM to 4:30PM.
  • The Chenango Room: At Science I, this little known restaurant is on the meal plan and quite delectable and reasonable.                                                                              

The Things:

  • Anderson Center: Performances of all kinds in its three theaters. Schedule at
  • Theatre: The Theatre Department puts on a variety of shows, the major ones being the mainstage season. At Certain residential communities, like Hinman and Dickinson, also put on their own productions.
  • Music: At, brochure has main performances, while the calendar of music events lists everything, some of which are free. Concerts are quite relaxing and nice, so check it out.
  • Late Nite Binghamton: on Friday and Saturday nights beginning at 9PM, your Campus Life fee provides free movies, food, band performances, crafts, and more. There is always something to do at Late Nite. And that’s nothing to cry about.
  • Major events: Mark your calendars for Frost Fest and Spring Fling. They are the biggest events that we have.
  • International Student Coffee Hour:Friday of every month at 3:30pm in the Anderson Center President’s Reception Room. Who says you have to be international?
  • Others:
    • Italian Coffee Hour: Tuesdays from 1.15pm to 2.15pm at the Commons Café
    • La Table Française: Tuesdays from 5.30pm to 7.00pm, place TBA
    • La Mesa Española: Thursdays from 6.00pm to 7.30pm in Hinman Dining Hall

Back to top

Get Involved

Involvement means working with a group; which groups you do work with depends on the kind of person you are and what risks you take. Also, you can even start your own student group, or even fraternity, if you are determined enough. You’ll have to explore and try a lot of things, since no one student can do it all. And don’t bite off more than you can chew: quality, not quantity.

Student Groups

  • Student groups, SA chartered: Student groups have a general membership and a directing E-board. They advertise their General Interest Meetings (GIMs) at the beginning of the year to entice new people into checking them out.
  • Student government, Student Association/SA: At, Includes the SAPB (programming board), class councils, and Student Advocates. The Student Association is further divided into building, area, and campus wide E-board government, with parallel judicial and legislative branches.
  • Greek life: professional and social fraternities/sororities at They have a greater presence off campus.
  • Intramurals and club sports: Varying levels of athletic involvement, from recreational to competitive.
  • Division I athletics: College sports teams at

Back to top

Mixed Groups

“Mixed groups” is my term for groups that college students can get involved in and may contain their fair share of non-students as well, like staff or outside volunteers. Some that fall within these categories are not mixed, but others are:

  • University-run groups: Listed at under “University Services, Committees, and Events”. These are University-organized with the membership made up of students like a student group but with a faculty/staff member serving as a university liaison.
  • Music and theatre: At, Several ensembles and theater groups exist for students on campus. Some are mixed, some aren’t.
  • University departments: Listed at under “Departmental & Academic Honoraries”. Associated with an academic department or honor society.
  • Volunteer groups: At Besides the volunteer student groups, there are on and off campus groups that you can be a part of.

Back to top

Group Online Resources

Everyone should have something to do with a student group, and getting involved within one is a good way to work towards being on an E-board and gain programming experience. Here’s an online resource menu for the who, the student groups, which you can bring to the table.

What event and advertising help exists:

  • From the Student Association:, includes info on transportation (OCCT), equipment (BSSL), ticket sales (Box office), and paper/card advertising (Cold Copy).
  • Posting guidelines at
  • Dining hall table tents info through advertising section.
  • Places to advertise include UUW stairwell and Dining halls (large posters), Union tabling, UUW and UU bulletin boards, and Library North bulletin boards.
  • Online advertising through online bulletin boards
  • Email advertising announcements through

How to register a room or table:

Where reservations are possible:

When rooms are available:

  • Webviewer at has up to date room availability. You can view classrooms by seating size, alphabetically, and more.

Back to top

Build Your Professionalism

Experiential education is hard to define, but I think of it as going one step beyond the familiar and comfortable systems of the university. But you can do more than just the one.

Here are the major forms of experiential education: volunteering, internships, study abroad/National Student Exchange, research, and summer and beyond. Summer opportunities are especially important and easy to lose track of. You have at least three summers to spend between years; use them more wisely than I have!

Volunteering and Community Service

  • The new Center for Civic Engagement (CCE), at, is the campus volunteering powerhouse, located in University Union 137.
  • As listed through the CCE’s website, or directly at, volunteering is executed through various means:
    • through local community organizations
    • through and for on-campus university departments
    • and through student service groups
  • The Student Volunteer Center (SVC), at, deserves mention as this student group coordinates and has contacts with many local volunteer organizations.

Back to top


  • Much of the Career Development Center (CDC) is dedicated to internships. Their website at includes, among other things:
    • on and off campus internship links, by interest
    • the eRecruiting internship search
    • info on the JC Mentor Program
    • and an internship guide in the Quick Reference Section
  • Also through the CDC, the CDCI program is the main credit-bearing internship program at BU, with internships searchable at eRecruiting at These are done a semester in advance and require attending a mandatory meeting then.
  • Internships may be available through your school or department, so ask about them. After declaring your major, some departments put you on an email listserv or a BlackBoard organization to keep you informed of opportunities (like Anthropology).

Back to top

Study Abroad/National Student Exchange

  • Study abroad is studying for a period of time in a foreign country, typically a semester. The earliest to do so is the second semester, while the latest is the summer after senior year. Study abroad is carried out through Binghamton or another SUNY school program, but can also be set up through a non-SUNY school as transfer credit. Through
  • National Student Exchange (NSE) is set up in the spring for the next year, so you could be elsewhere earliest your third semester. This can be studying for a semester or as much as a calendar year at a US or Canadian school. Through
  • The more sedentary students who want some sort of international experience without having to leave Binghamton can look into “International Opportunities” on the CDC website, or look through Programs include Languages Across the Curriculum, English Conversation Pairs, and the Global Studies minor.

Back to top


  • As before, a prospective Research Assistant should visit their department’s website match their interest with a faculty members, and then approach them. There may be classes related to research within certain departments.
  • The External Scholarships Office: Research programs are within the Funding Opportunities for undergraduates; also look in summer opportunities.

Back to top

Summer and Beyond

  • The External Scholarships Office: Summer internships, summer research, and more under “summer opportunities” listed at this site.
  • A summer internship timeline is available at the CDC website. Search for it. They also list some summer stuff on eRecruiting, as well as outside links under “Other Ways to Gain Experience” under “Internships”.
  • Also therein are the “Short-Term Opportunities”, links to agencies that’ll put you to work for a year. While you are there, look into the alumni career network (ACN).
  • Look into summer jobs to coincide with taking class or to support an unpaid summer internship. Some through the university also cover on campus housing.

Back to top

Professional Fraternities

Professional fraternities are not technically in themselves experiential education, but they are designed to connect you to the same. The Professional Fraternity Council website at lists the fraternities as well as their corresponding profession.

Back to top


PODS Computers and Physical Electronics

LiveMaps of computers, printers, and other equipment at All computers are connected to the PODS printing server, Pharos, unless otherwise noted.

1. PODS Computers Main Locations (20+ computers)

  • Academic A: AA G02, AA G04, AAG06 = Duplex/Color/1Scan/no PODS computers in printing room, AA G14
  • Bartle Library: Info Commons = Duplex/Color/Copy/1Scan/1BigScan/BUC$, Mezzanine
  • Science Library Info Commons = Color/Copy/2Scan/BUC$
  • Library North: LNG 102, LNG 103
  • Science II: S2 134, S2 135
  • Science III: West Pod Classroom, West Pod Front Room = 1Scan
  • UDC: Info Commons = Duplex/Color/Copy/1Scan/BUC$, UDC123, UDC328
  • Newcomb Reading Room’s Instruction Lab in Bartle (*no connection to PODS printing). = Copy/BUC$

2. PODS Specialty Labs – All in Fine Arts building. At

  • Art Department Design Center - FA327 = Color/1Scan/no b and w, contact department for use
  • Music Department MIDI Lab - FA146, contact department for use
  • *John Arthur Café has a single PODS computer in Fine Arts.

3. PODS Residential Satellite Labs

  • Brandywine 108. Facing parking lot. *Requires Susquehanna resident key-in.
  • Chenango-Champlain Collegiate Center (upstairs in the Discovery Center)
  • College in the Woods 107 (in CIW Library in Iroquois)
  • Hillside – Gameroom (in Hillside Commons)
  • Hinman Library – 1Scan w/no printing from scanner’s computer
  • Mountainview: Appalachian G02

"Bolded Location" = The actual room that has the black and white simplex printer.
Duplex = Two sided printer
Color = Color printer, paid from your BUC$ account.
BUC$ = BUC$ community printer
Copy = Photocopier
#Scan = Number of scanners

Written By: Daniel Winegard

Fall 2010

Back to top

Last Updated: 11/8/17