Search Target

Foreign Travel and Restricted Travel Advisory

Occasionally, employees may have to travel outside of the continental United States for the benefit of the University. When seeking reimbursement, Travelers must:

1. Seek reimbursement based on the maximum per diem allowance established by the U.S. Department of State, Foreign Per Diems. The foreign per diem rates are published monthly. Expenses must be converted to US currency based upon the exchange rate in effect during the period of travel. This can be done on Currency Converter.

2. Must breakdown meal per diems, if needed, (20 percent of total meal per-diem for breakfast and 80 percent total per-diem for dinner).

3. Follow the University's policy on traveling to countries that are listed on the US Department of State's Bureau of Consular Affairs' Travel Warning website. Binghamton University's policy is listed below:

Travel Warning Notice

The U.S. Department of State's Bureau of Consular Affairs, based on relevant information, issues travel warnings to U.S. citizens that recommend Americans avoid travel to certain counties. The countries and dates the travel warnings were issued are listed on the Current Travel Warnings Web site.

Travelers wishing to travel for University business to any country with an active travel warning as documented by the U.S. Department of State must fill out the Request to Travel to Countries with Travel Warnings  in addition to the Request and Authorization for Travel form in order to have this travel approved. Control numbers will not be issued until the Travel event has been approved by the International Travel Safety Committee. For more information, please visit the international travel page:

Last Updated: 11/28/16