Mining for Gold: Perks of Being a Binghamton University Employee
On Campus - Department Offerings
Off Campus - Local Merchant Offerings
On Campus - Department Offerings
Alumni Engagement: Liberty Mutual has partnered with Binghamton University to offer you special savings on quality auto and home insurance. You could enjoy valuable and unique benefits, including Better Car Replacement™, Accident Forgiveness, Home Protector Plus™, and our Multi-Policy Discount. Contact your local Liberty Mutual representative, Nancy Reid at 607-797-7587 ext. 51865 or email@example.com or visit www.libertymutual.com/binghamton to learn more or get a free quote.
Anderson Center: The Anderson Center offers discounted tickets to faculty/staff for most of the wide range of events they bring in and present. To find out more information go to: http://www2.binghamton.edu/anderson-center/upcoming-shows.html.
Art Museum: Everything in our Museum Shop is $20 or less; this includes handmade jewelry, hand dyed silk scarves and silk covered journals featuring artwork from the permanent collection on the covers. We are open 12-4 pm Tuesday-Saturday, and 12-7 pm on Thursdays.
Athletics: Faculty/staff/retirees can purchase a men’s and women’s basketball season ticket for just $150. A maximum of two (2) basketball season tickets can be purchased at the discounted rate. For more information, contact Mike Majewski at 777-6211 or by email at: Majewski@binghamton.edu.
- Dining Services:
- Flexible Dining: Sure, eating on campus isn’t likely ever going to replace your favorite restaurant, but are you aware of the simplicity of only carrying your Binghamton University ID card for food purchases on campus and not worrying about having cash in your pocket?
- As a Faculty/Staff meal plan member, there is no need to carry cash. A Faculty/Staff Flexible Dining account is a prepaid debit card system that operates on a declining balance basis, specifically for the ease of dining on campus. The member’s account is reduced by the dollar amount of the purchase including tax.
- A minimum deposit of $25 is required to enroll in Flexible Dining. As an incentive, Sodexo has developed an enrichment program under which we will add 10 cents on every dollar you contribute to your account. It is our thank you for your business, and in today’s world, a 10% boost added to your account for every dollar you deposit adds up. Furthermore, it’s simple to start and easy to use.
- You may enroll at any time either in person at the Meal Plan Office located in the University Union Building or use our new easy and convenient on-line system to open your new Flexible Dining account. We’ll immediately credit your Binghamton University ID card. Payment can be made by cash, check or credit card (our on-line system only accepts credit cards). You can add money any time your balance gets low, either in person, via telephone or through our new on-line card office at http://myBUcard.com. Only those opening new accounts are required to deposit the minimum $25 payment.
- Members maintaining accounts need not add the minimum at the beginning of each semester. Your funds are available throughout the year.
- M & T Bank: Offers complimentary financial reviews and complimentary review of life insurance policies.
- Personal Postage window (located in the UU basement, underneath the Mandela Room) so faculty, staff, and students can send personal mail and parcels. The postal services offered include First Class, Media, and Priority Mail, as well as a various denominations of stamps. Because of customs regulations, International Air Mail shipments are restricted to documents weighing one pound or less.
- We also offer domestic shipping for items via UPS Next Day Air, 2nd Day Air, 3 Day Select and Ground. While we will not package items for our customers we do sell regular and padded envelopes as well as boxes, bubble wrap, and tape. In order to keep costs to a minimum we can only accept cash for payment.
- Any personal USPS (usps.com) or UPS (ups.com) shipments prepared on line and paid with a credit card can be brought to the main CMS window located underneath the Market Place. This is helpful for people who regularly use credit cards instead of cash, or for international items that require customs forms. UPS ARS (Authorized Return Service) and USPS Business Reply Mail/Postage Paid items can also be dropped at that same window.
- Because the CMS does not have a daily pickup from Federal Express, credit card or ARS items for this carrier will need to be placed in the FedEx drop box located in the basement of the Administration building, or by scheduling a pick up by calling 800-GO-FEDEX.
- The CMS will also pick up outgoing personal mail when picking up departmental mail.
Campus Pre-School & Early Childhood Center: Campus Pre-School & Early Childhood Center is located behind the East Gym. We are licensed by NYS Office of Children & Family Services to provide child care for 106 children, ages 18 months to 5 years of age. Our mission first and foremost is to provide educational experiences and developmentally appropriate, high quality care for the young children of students, faculty and staff associated with Binghamton University. Students & Faculty/Staff receive a discount and precedence over community. The students are contacted first and pay the least amount, then faculty/staff are called and pay the next set of rates, then community if needed are called and pay the most. For more information visit their website at: www2.binghamton.edu/campus-pre-school.
Visit our website at http://play.binghamton.edu for a full listing of classes, activities, dates, details and discounted prices.
- FitSpace: FitSpace is dedicated to encouraging active and healthy lifestyles. The facility is over 10,000 square feet and is a comfortable area with bright lights, air-conditioning and great campus views. FitSpace is a fun, relaxing place to join your friends or make new ones!
- Group Fitness: Group Fitness delivers a variety of specialized classes for men and women of all fitness levels from beginner to advanced. Each week over 100 classes (schedule) are offered by nationally certified instructors who will motivate and encourage you to reach your goals in a fun, exciting and safe atmosphere.
- Personal Training Services: Our qualified personal training staff offers clients a unique and satisfying experience through their motivational, individualized fitness programs. We offer personal and small group training, as well as fitness and nutritional assessments to help you reach your health and fitness goals. Take advantage of our convenient location, nationally certified staff, and affordable prices!
- Free Activities & Programs: We're here to help you achieve your fitness and wellness goals. If you're a first timer, don't worry. We will guide you through every class and workshop, providing easy-to-follow instructions, and showing modifications that match your experience level. We promise you'll come away feeling motivated, challenged and confident in your knowledge and skills. No membership required for these programs and activities. Class offerings have included: Intro to Disc Golf, Tranquil Trek, Pickup Pickleball and TRX for Yoga.
- Specialty Wellness Classes: We offer our 5- to 13-week fitness and wellness classes designed to get you motivated and moving. Class sizes are limited so don’t delay to ensure you get a spot. Class offerings have included: Aqua Zumba, Pink Gloves Boxing, BODYPUMP.
- Wellness Services Suite: The Wellness Services Suite offers a full menu of personal services aimed at helping you reach your personal wellness goals, heighten energy, or simply offer a place of relaxation. Included in the menu are 30 to 90 minute massages in a variety of styles (i.e. relaxation, deep tissue, sports, express, hot stone, Thai etc.), energy work treatments (i.e. Reiki), as well as nutritional service options. The Wellness Services Suite is located on the lower level of the Recreation Center, East Gym. For more details about these services call 777-3515.
- Intramurals: Faculty, staff and retirees can also participate in the intramural sports program offering competitive and recreational activities within a variety of individual and team sports.
Educational Communications Center: Faculty and staff can borrow any equipment, for free, from our AV services department for up to 3 business days. This includes laptops, cameras, Go-Pro camera kits, professional audio equipment and presentation projectors. Make sure to bring your BU ID.
Employee Assistance Program (EAP): EAP staff provide confidential, professional, work-site based guidance at no cost to University faculty, staff, graduate student employees, retirees and their families. EAP offers supervisory consultations as well as individualized assessment and referral to appropriate community and professional resources. In addition, special programs and lunchtime workshops are coordinated by EAP throughout the year. To speak with an EAP coordinator, call 777-6655 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
EAP offers the following guidance and referral on:
- Marital, family issues
- Alcohol & substance abuse
- Emotional health issues
- Domestic violence
- Grief & bereavement
- Workplace stress
- Legal problems
- Financial problems
- Childcare & eldercare
- Lifestyle management
- Wellness programs
- Training for supervisors on using EAP as a management tool
- EAP offers a lending resource library for your reference
- Light boxes are available for faculty and staff to borrow on a 2 week trial basis. The light boxes are used to combat Seasonal Affective Disorder and in general improve mild to moderate depression symptoms particularly for those who work in a setting without windows.
- Microsoft Office: Free to students, faculty and staff on your personal computers
and devices. You will be able to install Microsoft Office on up to 5 compatible PCs
and Macs, plus 5 tablets including iPads. Unfortunately, this agreement does not allow
you to install Microsoft Office on Android tablet devices, only Android phones. The
software is also compatible with OneDrive for automatic device syncing.
- To get Microsoft Office follow these simple steps:
For PC and Mac:
- Visit this link to get started
- Click through to sign in with school-provided credentials & download
- On the installation page select your language and click install
For iOS and Android:
- Download from your app store
- iPad: Word, Excel, PowerPoint
- Sign in with your school credentials for full editing capability
You will need to create an account using your Binghamton University e-mail address to sign in. If you have trouble installing Office, this guide may help resolve your issue.
- Microsoft Office for University Owned Computers: ITS will continue to install Microsoft Office on University owned and public computers across campus. To request Microsoft Office installation on a University owned computer, please contact the ITS Help Desk at email@example.com or 607-777-6420.
- McAfee Antivirus for home use. Persons affiliated with Binghamton University can obtain the anti-virus software McAfee (Windows) and Virex (Macintosh) from our FTP Server. Please note that access to the FTP Server is restricted to the binghamton.edu domain. This means that you can only access it from on campus or by using Binghamton University's SSL VPN.
- Binghamton University students, faculty and staff can purchase discounted software for home use from www.journeyed.com.
- Tuition Assistance:
- Available for all Binghamton University and Research Foundation employees.
- Courses cannot be audited.
- For information, go to http://www2.binghamton.edu/human-resources/employee-benefits/tuition-assistance.html.
- Employees Discount Programs page – offered to all SUNY employees. To view a list of available employee discounts, go to: http://www2.binghamton.edu/human-resources/new-employees/discounts.html.
- Circulation Services: Information about borrowing, due dates, grace periods, account information, renewals, returns, recalls, fines and more.
- Interlibrary Loan (ILLiad): Obtain material not owned by the University Library.
- Course Reserves: Reserve books, articles or other items for specific courses.
- Instructional and Research Services: The Library offers several different types of instruction and research services.
- Laptop & iPad Lending:May be borrowed by anyone with a valid BU ID.
- For more information, go to: http://www.binghamton.edu/libraries/
Music Department: Offers discounts to faculty/staff for performances during their individual academic seasons. To find out more information go to: http://www.binghamton.edu/music/concerts.html
Notaries Public: There are several Notaries Public on campus that are available for faculty and staff. For the full list of Notaries Public, go to: http://directory.binghamton.edu/directory/directory.results?first_name=&last_name=&phone=&dept=C6B391A88A9CBEE4042F090C848D5BD8&email=
Ombudsman: Offers a lending library at the Ombudsman’s Office. There is a collection of books on conflict resolution, communication, building relationships and more. Faculty and staff are welcome to check them out. To see the full list of books go to: http://www2.binghamton.edu/ombudsman/links/index.html .
- Faculty and staff represented by a bargaining unit:
- By registering your vehicle for an academic year, you receive three Courtesy Cards (one for each semester you are registered – Fall, Spring, Summer). These Courtesy Cards can be used to waive a citation for any of the following: (1) not having a parking permit or decal displayed; (2) your state registration or inspection was expired; (3) parking at an expired/unpaid meter. This must be done within 14 calendar days of the date of issuance of the ticket. To use a Courtesy Card, you must download the form from the Parking Services website, fill it out, and mail it to Parking, or you can stop at the Parking Services office.
- If you have a current decal on your vehicle but you need to drive to campus in an unregistered vehicle (no decal), you can get a free three day temporary hangtag to park on campus. This can be done five times during the academic year. You can obtain this hangtag at the Information Booth when you arrive on campus. They are open at 7:30 am.
- Faculty and staff not represented by a bargaining unit:
- By registering your vehicle and purchasing an annual prorated hangtag, you receive one Courtesy Card for each semester you are registered – Fall, Spring, Summer. These Courtesy Cards can be used to waive a citation for any of the following: (1) not having a parking permit or decal displayed; (2) your state registration or inspection was expired; (3) parking at an expired/unpaid meter. This must be done within 14 calendar days of the date of issuance of the ticket. To use a Courtesy Card, you must download the form from the Parking Services website, fill it out, and mail it to Parking, or you can stop at the Parking Services office.
- If you need to drive to campus in a different vehicle, you must move your hangtag to that vehicle or pay to park for the day.
- Garage and Paid Lot option:
- Anyone can choose to buy a Proximity parking pass for $450/year. This allows unlimited access to the garage and the paid lot, as well as normal parking in regular non-metered parking lots. The semester rate for the garage/paid lot is $175 for either the Fall or the Spring. The summer rate is $100.
- Faculty and staff can payroll deduct for about $17.31 per pay period. The deductions will continue until you fill out a cancellation form, so you will not have to renew each August.
- WHOOSH! App:
- Whoosh! is a free app* that can be downloaded to your cell phone or can be accessed from any web browser. It allows you to pay for parking at any meter or pay station on Binghamton University property. You can start a new transaction or add time to an existing transaction without having to return to your vehicle. Simply install the app on your smartphone or visit Whoosh! store to create and use your account, see FAQs, and more.
* There is no cost to download the app, but there is a 35¢ convenience fee for each transaction.
- AT&T Wireless: 20% discount on their monthly plan charges. There are also discounts on equipment charges and connection fees. For more information about the AT&T discounts, please contact AT&T Customer Care at 1-800-331-0500. The faculty/staff member has to provide the correct FAN #45222 (foundation account number) to get the discount.
- Time Warner Cable Off Campus Internet Services: Discounted monthly rate for internet and/or internet with Digital Phone service at home. There are some restrictions. This is done through Telecommunications.
- For more information go to: http://www.binghamton.edu/telecommunications/
Theatre Department: Offers discounts to faculty/staff for performances during their individual academic seasons. To find out more information go to: http://www.binghamton.edu/theatre/productions/upcoming-productions.html.
United University Professionals (UUP): Has a webpage that offers benefits to their employees. Go to www.uupinfo.org, at the top left of the page is “Benefits” tab; click on "Special Offers". Special offers include: AFLAC, Apple, AT&T, Bally Total Fitness, BJ’ s Wholesale Club, Enterprise Rental Car, Goodyear Tire, Hewlett Packard, Jos. A. Bank, Liberty Mutual, Mirabito Fuel, Brooklyn Nets, Sprint, SUNY Perks and Verizon. Click on any offer to learn more about it.
- The Space Available Program:
- This is an official “forgiveness” of all of the tuition (excluding fees) for one course each semester taken at Binghamton University.
- Courses cannot be audited.
- For more information, go to http://www2.binghamton.edu/human-resources/forms/index.html and scroll down to
- UUP co-sponsors a University Wide Benefits Fair with Human Resources and CSEA every November which has many on and off campus representatives that offer one time discounts.
University Book Store: All faculty and staff members receive a 10% discount every day off general reading books, clothing, emblematic merchandise, greeting cards, office supplies, etc with their ID. We will also special order any books in print if we don't have it in stock, for no extra charge. The 10% discount main exception is textbooks; there is no discount for textbooks. The Bookstore also has a Green Day Friday professional wear special order program. A selection of green shirts, polos, sweaters, jackets, and more are available for ordering with a selection of Binghamton logos. Samples and order forms are available at the customer service desk. The Bookstore also offers additional discounts on larger purchases, special event orders, etc. Through the Bookstore website (binghamton.bncollege.com), on the Offers tab, under Students save HUGE on software & hardware section, all faculty and staff are eligible for discounts on software, computers, etc.
- Binghamton University has a new partnership with Zipcar, the world’s leading car sharing network, to offer a Zipcar car sharing program on campus. The convenient transportation option is now available at an affordable rate 24 hours a day, seven days a week for students, faculty, and staff ages 18 and older, as well as members of the local community over the age of 21.
- This year, Binghamton University members can join for $15, with rates for Zipcar vehicles on campus starting as low as $7.50 per hour and $69 per day. After the first year, members will pay an annual membership fee of $35. Gas, insurance, and up to 180 miles of driving per day are included in Zipcar rates, and cars can be reserved for as little as an hour or for multiple days. Binghamton students, faculty and staff can join Zipcar at www.zipcar.com/Binghamton.
- OCC Transport (OCCT) and Broome County Transit (BCT):
- For local bus service, students, faculty, and staff of Binghamton University can rid both OCC Transport (OCCT) and Broome County Transit (BCT) simply by showing their ID card. There is no additional cost when showing your ID. OCCT offers on campus shuttle buses (the green buses) and off campus service (the blue buses). OCCT also now has GPS on all buses. Riders can download the ETA SPOT app on I phones or android to locate when the next bus will reach your stop. To View via computer, visit http://bupublic.etaspot.net/
- For links to bus schedules for both local bus services, visit: http://http://binghamtonupublic.etaspot.net/
Off Campus - Local Merchant Offerings
Around Campus offers coupons for a variety of local businesses around Binghamton University. Visit www.aroundcampus.com for more information.
10% off with BU ID
(Walmart Vestal location only)
2405 Vestal Parkway East
Regular Membership: $389 w/BU ID (without BU ID - $439)
216 Reynolds Rd.
Johnson City, NY
67 Robinson St.
444 Commerce Rd.
FREE Replacement Cost Protection up to $25,000
FREE used boxes (when booked with Dimon & Bacorn)
Two hour minimum, Monday – Friday (normal: 4 hour minimum)
Saturday – no overtime charges; four hour minimum
FREE Replacement Cost Protection up to $75,000 (must be transported by Dimon & Bacorn)
FREE used boxes (when booked with Dimon & Bacorn)
Above-market discount (governed by weight and miles)
Affiliated with North American Van Lines (move anyone, anywhere in the world)
Hotel Room: $99 w/BU ID - ask for government rate
(without BU ID - $139)
225 Water St.
Offers internet coupons or 10% off with BU ID
(whichever is greater); Free ride to/from BU
4009 Vestal Parkway East
10% off with BU ID
3000 Wayne St.
Year pre-pay membership: $369 w/ BU ID: (w/o BU ID $439)
One month pre-pay membership: $49 w/BU ID (w/o BU ID $59)
Convenience pay membership option: $35 sign-up fee +$39/month w/ BU ID
(w/o BU ID: $70 sign-up fee + $39/month)
225 Water St.
31 Lewis St., Suite 401
A full service *fee only* Registered Investment Advisor firm where our team provides you service in a fiduciary capacity. This means no commissions or hidden charges. S.E.E.D. provides personal advice and customized service on topics ranging from personal finance, retirement planning, retirement and investment portfolio stress test, professional investment management, portfolio 2nd opinion, estate planning and elder care planning to small business succession planning, customized employee benefit programs, fiduciary management (including Investment Policy Design), charitable giving, etc.
State University of New York Employee Discount Programs: SUNY employees may be eligible for group discounts and offers from a variety of vendors, merchants, and providers. For more information on any of these discounts and offers, visit the SUNY website at: http://www.suny.edu/benefits/employee-discounts/
Hotel Room: $99 w/BU ID (w/o BU ID - $165)
Spa: 10% discount on all services Monday - Thursday
4101 Watson Blvd.
Johnson City, NY
15% off all services with BU ID
1225 Front St. 100 Vestal Parkway East
Binghamton, NY Vestal, NY