- Graduate Ambassador & Graduate Research Ambassador Awards
- Application Deadline: April 27, 2016
- Watson Graduate Recruiting Committee will complete review: May 2, 2016
- Selected applicants present research (PhDs only) and a provided Watson PPT: May 3 - 6, 2016
- Recommendations & student(s) chosen: May 9, 2016
- Grants awarded: Before the end of Spring 2016 semester for projects between June 1, 2016 and August 31, 2017.
Send Applications by email to email@example.com or Hardcopy to Watson Dean’s Office - ES 1402
The Graduate Ambassador Award provides limited funding for Watson School master's and doctoral students to assist with travel costs to their alma mater and serve as ambassadors for Watson graduate programs for recruitment and/or present their research.
Desired outcomes include establishing relationships with universities that can be sustained over time to bring permanent enhancements to research, scholarship and the graduate student body of the Watson School.
Watson departments are invited to identify students from their respective graduate programs to submit applications.
Proposals must include
- Completed application form with all required signatures
- If PhD, a brief abstract of the research topic to be presented
- An updated CV
- Name and address of the host university faculty or staff contact info (email, phone)
- A written request from host university inviting you to campus (can be provided at a later date)
- A detailed itinerary of the trip, including proposed dates of visit, any preparatory steps to be taken prior, target audience, potential for collaboration with faculty or staff
- Specific desired outcomes of the project and how these will be assessed.
- Itemized budget with an explanation of the estimated costs
- Funds will be in the form of reimbursement of travel costs.
- Shared funding with other sources is encouraged.
- Upon selection, international students will be asked to provide proof of ISSS authorization to travel.
- Incomplete applications will not be reviewed and will be returned to the applicant.
- All awards will be administered as reimbursements. Students must provide original receipts and complete a Watson Acceptance of Risk Form prior to travel to be reimbursed.
- International students must provide ISSS documentation that they are authorized to travel.
- All award recipients are required to generate a contact list of attendees and potential students (name, email address and program of interest) from the host university for Watson School Dean’s Office follow-up.
- Each ambassador will be provided with 5 unique application fee waiver codes, waiving the $75 graduate application fee, to distribute to students with the highest potential of attending Binghamton.
- For every student that enrolls at Binghamton, as a result of this effort, the Student Ambassador will receive a $50 gift card.
What will I be expected to do at my alma mater?
The expectation is that MS students will do one presentation on the graduate programs in the Watson School and PhD students will do two presentations (on research and Watson School)
We encourage creativity and take advantage of existing opportunities to meet with students (a grad fair or seminar, venue unique to your visit to talk with students about the graduate programs in Watson).
Additional expectations include a photo of you presenting to the student group and/or a photo in front of your alma mater; a list of prospective students for Watson to follow up with, and a posting of your photo and brief bio on Watson Ambassador webpages and/or Watson Facebook page.
If selected, will I receive training to prepare for the visit?
The Watson School Dean’s Office will provide you with clear presentation materials about the Watson School and graduate programs in the school prior to your presentation to the Watson Graduate Research Ambassador Award Selection Committee.
At that time, you are encouraged to ask questions about any of the material that is not clear.
If potential students ask you and you don’t know the answer, obtain their contact info and let them know you will have someone get in touch with them.
Is there a form required for the invitation from the host university?
A scanned letter, on your host’s department letterhead is preferred. If this is not possible, an email with your host’s name, title and contact information is sufficient. It is important that your host describes the venue you are being invited to speak at.
What is the maximum award amount and what expenses will be covered?
The maximum award is up to $1,000 for PhD students and up to $500 for MS students. There is no minimum award. The award is for travel expenses and may not cover all potential expenses. Total available funding is $4,000 for 2016-17.