Complete two degrees in 5.5 years through one of our international partner universities.
Below is a list of partner universities and matching majors:
- University of Monterrey (Biomedical Engineering, Industrial and Systems Engineering)
Please contact Maggie Wolford, the director of Watson graduate recruitment and admissions, if you have any questions or concerns.
Use these application instructions if you are a third or fourth-year undergraduate student of a matching major or from other related majors of the partnering university with sufficient background in the chosen Binghamton University major with good standing.
1. Submit the online application and all required application materials.
- You will need a valid email address to create an online application.
- Upload all required application materials for your program to the online application.
- Scan and upload the files with care, making sure they are clear, legible and complete. The graduate admissions committee will receive the files you scan and upload.
- Preferred file format is PDF. Other accepted file formats include .doc, .docx, .rtf, .jpg and .tif.
- Do not mail hard (paper) copies of any application materials unless specifically requested by the Graduate School.
- Pay the $75 (USD) non-refundable graduate degree program application fee.
- You can use a Visa, MasterCard, Discover or American Express credit card. Your credit card bill serves as your receipt.
- If your department has granted you an application fee waiver, please ask your department to contact Maggie Wolford with your name and email address. Maggie will contact you with the waiver and instructions.
- Submit the online application and all required application materials by Nov. 1.
Review these reminders before you apply:
- We recommend you begin the application process at least one month before your program's application deadline of Nov. 1.
- You may have only one active application per semester. Multiple applications will not be processed.
- As an international student, we suggest you review the additional admission requirements for international students before submitting an application.
2. Submit official test scores electronically.
If you have not already sent your test scores to Binghamton University, submit your GRE/GMAT and/or TOEFL/IELTS/PTE Academic scores. Review the admission requirements to see which test scores are required for your program. Note that it can take as long as two full weeks for the testing agency to process your order and deliver your scores to Binghamton University.
GRE test scores
GRE test scores are waived for all students who are admitted to the 3.5+2 program.
Proof of English proficiency
We require any one of the following exams as proof of English proficiency for admission.
- TOEFL iBT: The 3.5+2 requires a minimum TOEFL score of 80 on the Internet-based test (iBT). TOEFL iBT MyBest scores are accepted. Depending on your location, the TOEFL may be either Internet-based or paper-based. To learn more or register for the test, visit the TOEFL website. To submit a score report, use Binghamton University's code: 2535.
- TOEFL Essentials: The 3.5+2 requires a minimum TOEFL Essentials score of 9. TOEFL Essentials MyBest scores are accepted.To learn more or register for the test, visit the TOEFL Essentials website. To submit a score report, use Binghamton University's code: 2535.
- IELTS: The 3.5+2 requires a minimum IELTS score of 6.5, with no band below 5.0. To learn more or register for the test, visit the IELTS website. Requests for IELTS score delivery to Binghamton University Graduate School must be submitted directly to the test center where you took the IELTS test.
- PTE Academic: The 3.5+2 requires a minimum PTE Academic score of 53. To learn more or register for the test, visit the PTE Academic website. To submit a score report, select "Binghamton University - State University of New York" from the score delivery menu.
- Duolingo English Test: The 3.5+2 requires a minimum Duolingo score of 105. To learn more or register for the test, visit the Duolingo English Test website. To submit a score report, select "Binghamton University (SUNY)" from the list of institutions. (In response to the global COVID-19 pandemic, the Graduate School at Binghamton University has temporarily approved the use of the Duolingo English Test as proof of English proficiency through the 2022 application cycle.)
3. Submit any application materials that you were not able to upload to the online application.
If your program requires additional application materials that were not requested in the online application, email them to the Graduate School at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Use "Additional Application Materials - [Student's Name]" in the subject line.
- Include your application materials as attachments. The preferred file format is PDF. Other accepted file formats include .doc, .docx, .rtf, .jpg and .tif.
- Include your full name (as you used in the online application), your date of birth, the program to which you applied and the semester in which you expect to start graduate studies at Binghamton University in the body of the message.
4. Receive your admissions decision.
Once an admission decision has been made, you will receive an email from the Graduate School. (Add "email@example.com" to your email address book or contact list. Don't forget to check your spam folder!) If you have been accepted, you will also receive an admission letter.
When a student is admitted into the 3.5+2 program, the student will be provisionally admitted into the graduate (master) program of the majoring department at Binghamton University.
5. Come to Binghamton!
During the first semester at Binghamton University, the student will take 2 preparatory undergraduate courses, work on his/her undergraduate graduation project of the home university (if required), and/or take an English course.
During the second semester, the student will take three graduate courses.
If a student satisfies the following two conditions after the first year at Binghamton University, the student will automatically be admitted into the graduate program as a fully-matriculated master of science student:
- The first year GPA at Binghamton University is at least 3.0 (B).
- Successfully receive the bachelor's degree at the home university.
- After the first year, a student in the 3.5+2 program is expected to complete all requirements for a master's degree and obtain the degree in two additional semesters with a reasonable course load (for example, three courses per semester plus a master's termination project).
- Only students who complete all requirements for a master's degree will be awarded the degree.
- Students who do not achieve required minimum grades (GPA 3.0 out of 4.0) or who choose to enroll for fewer courses in one or more semesters may take longer to complete the degree program.