SPIR at Binghamton University is currently soliciting proposals for the 2019-20 academic year.
- Submission deadline (Summer, fall 2020, spring 2021 or AY 20-21): April 3, 2020, 5 p.m.
- Decisions on funding for Round 1: Emailed by end of May, 2020
- Submission deadline (spring 2021only): Nov. 15, 2020, 5 p.m.
- Decision on Funding for Round 2: Emailed by late Dec. 1, 2020.
Proposals based on past SPIR-funded projects seeking continuation may be submitted. Single semester proposals for spring '20 (Jan-May) or fall '19 (Aug-Dec) or proposals that cover both semesters will be considered for Round I. Spring-only proposals will be accepted in Round II.
Each semester project is funded on a cost-share basis:
SPIR shall fund: 100 percent tuition scholarship and stipend for one graduate student and $1,000
of faculty stipend.
Company shall fund: New companies contribute $3,500 as graduate student stipend per semester ($7000 for Academic Year) and project-related lab/travel costs. Company contributions will increase $500 per semester ($1000 for academic year) for the following academic year. Company contributions will increase to a maximum of $5000 per semester.
Number of Years in SPIR Program
* Does not include lab fees or travel expenses.
All proposals will be reviewed by the SPIR director and SPIR Advisory Board at Binghamton University and evaluated based on scientific and technical merit of the proposals and alignment with SPIR mission and objectives.
All awardees of SPIR funds shall be required to execute a contract with SPIR and Binghamton University. A copy of the contract and SPIR guidelines are available here.
Proposal Submission Guidance
Please submit your proposal by filling out the online form below.
Information requested on the online form:
Company & Contact Information
- Description, deliverables
- Expertise sought or needed
- Binghamton University faculty contact name (if known)
- Project duration (start date, end date)
- Fall 2020 semester: Aug. 23 - Dec. 25, 2020
- Spring 2021 semester: Jan. 20 - May 15, 2021
- Academic year 2019-20: Aug. 23, 2020 - May 15, 2021
- Project economic impact: Description of positive impact project will have on company, number of company jobs retained, number of company jobs added, anticipated SBIR/STTR or other grant funding