The Summer Training Experience in Engineering Research (STEER) provides experience in research laboratories to students of diverse backgrounds, including underrepresented minority students, students from economically disadvantaged and underserved backgrounds and students with disabilities that have completed one - two or more years of college or are entering their first year of graduate work. The purpose of this exposure to engineering and/or applied science research is to encourage students to consider careers in science, technology, engineering, and math. The program runs eight weeks and a minimum stipend of $3,000 is provided. Housing is provided on campus.
Students wishing to participate in STEER must meet all of the following criteria:
- Have a cumulative GPA of 3.0 or higher (4.0 scale)
- Be a citizen or a permanent resident of the U.S.
- Be enrolled in a degree-granting program at a college or university in the United States, Puerto Rico, or other U.S. territory or granted admissions to a master's level graduate program for Fall 2020 entry
- Have completed at least two semesters of undergraduate education by the time of the summer experience
- Have at least one semester of undergraduate education remaining after completing the summer research experience or be accepted to one of Binghamton University's graduate program
- Have a strong interest in pursuing a graduate degree within Engineering and Applied Science
- Students from underrepresented minority groups, women, and individuals with disabilities are strongly encouraged to apply.
Selected participants will be expected to complete 30 hours of research each week. Participants must be willing to devote full-time to the program during the eight-week session. Due to the intense research schedule, participants are not allowed to work an additional job during the summer program.
Program Dates: May 30- July 18, 2020
How to Apply
Applications must include:
- One letter of recommendation from a faculty member or research mentor
- Transcript (unofficial is accepted)
- Letter of interest
Application deadline April 1, 2020.
Decisions will be sent by April 30, 2020.