Undergraduate Program in History
History is one of the most popular and respected departments in Binghamton University’s Harpur College of Arts and Sciences. The History Department offers a wide variety of courses taught by some of Binghamton University's top faculty, attracting thousands of students every year. Our global curriculum, award-winning faculty, and flexible major and minor offer both depth and breadth in academic training for our students. We encourage students to explore, taking full advantage of the Undergraduate Advising office along the way.
Undergraduate Office Advising
(Library Tower Room 712)
The Undergraduate Advising Office of the History Department helps students plan a major or minor, arrange for transfer credits, correct any problems in how History courses appear on transcripts and DARS reports, strategize post-graduate life, and ensure timely completion of the major or minor. We can also offer advice if you need academic assistance. We encourage students to visit during scheduled advising hours (see below) throughout the academic year. No appointment is required. Students who wish to schedule an appointment should contact our Undergraduate Assistant, Dan Pearson: email@example.com or 607-777-6716.
If you plan to study abroad or complete honors work, please consult the Undergraduate Advising Office as soon as possible. Make us a part of your planning process.
FALL 2016 Advising Office Hours
Associate Professor Elizabeth Casteen (LT 702) Undergraduate Director:
- By appointment
Advising Office (LT-712, Dan Pearson) will be open at the following times:
- Monday 12:00 pm-2:00 pm
- Tuesday 11:00 am-5:00 pm
- Wednesday 10:00 am-12:00 pm
During regular hours, there is no need for an appointment.
Important Forms (Download here)
- Declaring a History Major/Minor (pdf, 190kb) (for student to submit in person to the Advising Office, LT712)
- * Click here for major/minor requirements
- Petition (pdf, 15kb) into a seminar or course on which there is a "restriction"
- Independent Study Form (pdf, 98kb)
- Internship Form (please note that internship credits do NOT count towards the major)
- Application for Honors Thesis (pdf, 34kb) work (also see "Honors Program")
- Click HERE for Harpur College Forms: late add petition, late withdrawal petition, request for incomplete, change to pass/fail, and overload request.
Why Do History?
- Student Academic Honesty Code
- American Historical Association - Professional Standards
- Major Requirements
- Minor Requirements
- Honors Program - and DEADLINES!
- Binghamton University Journal of History
- Phi Alpha Theta - Binghamton University History Department
- Transfer Credit Planning
Student Involvement in Departmental Governance
Undergraduate history majors serve as voting members on several departmental committees, including the Student Advisory Committee and the Undergraduate Committee. The two representatives elected by their peers to membership on the Undergraduate Committee also attend the meetings of the full department and have the same voting rights as faculty members.
Stay in Touch!
Please join us on facebook, where you will find the latest department news, including student achievements, awards, and other events. Send a note to firstname.lastname@example.org to announce your latest job, internship, or new turn in life. Let us know how we helped - and let us know where we need to improve. We want to hear from you now and in the years to come.