- Connecting students with student organizations, student government, volunteering opportunities, mentoring experiences, internships and more.
- Helping student organizations with ideas for recruiting new members, motivation, running more effective meetings, fund raising, publicity, conflict resolution, time management, programming ideas and more; students can attend campus-wide leadership conferences once each semester
- Helping students improve their public speaking/presentation skills through the public speaking lab
- Teaching students more about leadership issues, skills and theories
- Recognizing the achievements of student leaders and student organizations through annual programs such as the national "Who's Who Among Students in American Universities and Colleges" program, Fall Student Leadership Meet & Greet, Winter Student Leadership Celebration and Spring XCELSIOR Awards .
- Providing resource information for the campus community on a variety of leadership skills/college life topics through the Resource Lending Library, X-File newsletter, Student Leader Survival Handbook and twenty different Student Leadership Development Clearinghouse brochures.
- Training and coordinating the XCEL Leadership Consultants (XLCs) program.
The XCEL Center's Public Speaking Lab
Does the very idea of speaking in front of a few people, a class or a meeting not only give your stomach butterflies, but also put you into a complete panic? Well, fear not ... you're not alone...and the XCEL Center can help!
The XCEL Center staff coordinates a Public Speaking Lab, where you can access resources to help develop or fine-tune your public speaking/presentation skills. In addition to the more than 100 printed and video/audio taped resources available, you can also schedule a time to have your public speaking presentation videotaped by XCEL peer Leadership Consultants (XLCs). You will be able to view your presentation on video, and instantly receive a critique of your public speaking skills with suggestions offered by the XLCs.
Contact us if you'd like to set up a time in the public speaking lab for your presentation to be videotaped and critiqued. Allow two business days to schedule your videotape appointment.
The XCEL Center is open during the academic year on weekday afternoons
and early evenings. Since we are staffed by student volunteers, specific hours of operation vary by semester.
XCEL Center hours are:
Mondays 12Noon-7:30 pm
Tuesdays 12Noon-7 pm
Wednesdays 1-2 pm & 3-6:30 pm
Thursdays 2-6 pm
Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays CLOSED
You may reach us by e-mail at email@example.com or call 607-777-LEAD (5323). We are located in the Old University Union, across from the Post Office and the Susquehanna Room.
If you need to reach us outside of Center hours, you may also contact the Office of Campus Activities and Orientation at 607-777-2811 during business hours (M-F 8:30 am - 5:00 pm)
Stop by, enjoy some FREE popcorn, and check us out!